Isaac
Years ago

Boti: 36ers consortium well advanced

Boti Nagy has a story today in The Advertiser (not yet online, that I can find) about man-in-charge JVG meeting with representatives of a consortium keen to take over the 36ers.

The discussions were termed "very encouraging", but the piece is otherwise light on real details. No names of the actual consortium members at this point, and nothing much more from JVG or the NBL.

The NBL says they will release a position statement on Thursday or Friday.

If the train is ready to leave the station, let's hope these final passengers find their luggage and get on board.

Topic #19693 | Report this topic

NVS  
Years ago

From the quick read that i had of the article it appears that Boti is scratching for things to write about. About half the paragraphs in the article are a re-hash of the same stuff (who owns what, where Mal is, Jeff being here, etc). Must have been given a 1/4 of a page slot (maybe closer to 1/3 for those picky people out there) and told to fill it.

Reply #233295 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any basketball publicity he fights for is good, especially in a time when fans would be eager to hear anything they can about the 36ers situation. This is the only 36ers story going right now and it's pretty important to a lot of people.

Reply #233299 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Any space about basketball in the Crow-vertiser is worth it.

Reply #233302 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

Reply #233314 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

so if they are releasing a statement thursday or friday, does that mean the announcment by BA and the new NBL board scheduled for tomorrow will not happen?

this will be the third time the announcement has been pushed back, meaning even less time for teams to get ready for next season

Reply #233315 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What can BA do if they're waiting on Adelaide now? Have to either know if they're in or out to announcement composition and anything approaching a schedule or even number of games.

Reply #233316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should put a deadline on 36ers wheather there in or out to hurry up the process of accoucing the teams.
I think the teams and the league are ready to name the teams just think there waiting on the 36ers

Reply #233318 | Report this post

Some one's son  
Years ago

Sixers are out. Consortium can't agree. Ego's getting in way.

Reply #233324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So was the only group of people interested in the sixers. If that was only thing holding back the nbl form accouncing the teams maybe the the accoucement might go ahead

Reply #233330 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I like your "accoucement". Let's hope the new NBL is not breach. Although, forceps may be required to ensure it is done properly, it would be a pity if a full episiotomy is needed to achieve desired results.

Reply #233340 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol... dash it. I thought there might be more informed replies here. Alas - just another accoucement.

Reply #233346 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Has anyone worked out what a "conest delay" is yet?

Reply #233348 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Hopefully #318 and #330 isn't one of the potential buyers of the team. That would make for interesting press releases and marketing blurbs.

Reply #233354 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers: Set too sore!

Reply #233356 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

"Conest Delay" the slightly euphoric pause in conversation as information is duly processed thru the haze .

Reply #233360 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Cant believe posters still giving crap to B A . How would you like to run a business and do a product release when Key partners dont attend important meetings and then say just before release they cant meet terms in the last few days after being involved from day 1 and then flying the coop on 5 weeks hol. at the most important time of club and league as others said this is a great disregard for all us loyal Sixer fans and general S A public in total.
Why wouldnt Boti start firing bullets now.
He tried to have some loyalty and not bring up all the dirty water but now he and others are trying to save the club and tell the truth. Maybe Mal got told to get out of town by Grubby Groves who reall owns the Sixers. Hopefully the extra time BA are giving us might mean we may stay in league.

Reply #233363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the 36ers officaly gone yet or is the consortium going to sort there issues that didn't argee to.

Reply #233364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NVS (or anyone else who wants to answer), interested to know what you'd do right now if you were the NBL. Would you let Adelaide in without the $1m guarantee?

If not, would you proceed without Adelaide?
If yes, would you require it from other clubs? If so, which ones?

If you went ahead without the guarantee, what would you do if a team (let's say it's Adelaide) collapsed part way through the season (a la Cairns or Sydney last season)?

Reply #233365 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

I've studied "Conest delay" and I've come up with: Con - Pursuade, swindle, confidence trick etc
est - this forms a superlative of Con
delay - well we all know what that is, we're living it now.
So I think it means we will be taken for a ride very soon, but it will be at the highest level.

Reply #233366 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit boring, but maybe they meant "contest delay"?

Reply #233374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a thought on the guarantee. Every team is asked to put up a guarantee for $1mill to cover potential collapses. Seems an overkill as do we really think all teams will collpase at once. Why not set up a central fund managed by the league where each team contributes sau $100k. This money is kept aside to cover a collapse of any club. Hopefully it only needs to be contributed to once at the start.

I know clubs which don't fail will wonder why the need to contribute but I see it as a form of insurance and spreading the risk. Only a thought concept, probably not well thought.

Reply #233389 | Report this post

Some one's son  
Years ago

When are you guys gonna realize that the consortium has no hope and are not prepared to commit. It is like an ant trying to buy an elephant. Some of these guys are stroking themselves. Let the sixers die in peace and get up and running again with a legitimate decent backer next year hopefully.

Reply #233395 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

I agree with Someone's Son.

Wait and see how the comp goes, let them fix their teething problems, by then the economic doom and gloom may be looking better.

Reply #233400 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Number 44 - And what the hell are we meant to spend our money on this year then??

Reply #233401 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon 389 - that's what happened last season. Money was taken from the pooled emergency funds.

The problem is then that a collapse further impacts the rest of the teams which is a bit unfair.

Another option is only asking for $750k and then hoping no teams fall over before the halfway point!

Spinner, go out to ABL games - same amount of money will get you a seat and money leftover for the bar.

Reply #233403 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Some one's son - I don't know how I'm supposed to "realize" anything about the consortium, when I don't know who they are, what their intentions are or what has been concretely decided. If you've got some verifiable facts to share, then by all means spill 'em.

Reply #233404 | Report this post

Well said Isaac, lets get back to the good old days.... when you actually went out and supported your local club!
And / or maybe bring back the Buffalos and join the SEABL. I have fond memories of watching the Buffalos play in the late eighties / early nineties.

Reply #233406 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Isaac,
In response to your post further up the chain:
"NVS (or anyone else who wants to answer), interested to know what you'd do right now if you were the NBL. Would you let Adelaide in without the $1m guarantee?

If not, would you proceed without Adelaide?
If yes, would you require it from other clubs? If so, which ones?

If you went ahead without the guarantee, what would you do if a team (let's say it's Adelaide) collapsed part way through the season (a la Cairns or Sydney last season)?"

They are tough questions. I think the NBL needs to consult more closely with Adelaide. I think there is buckleys chance of a team being in Sydney or Brisbane this season so not having an Adelaide team would make it very hard for the NBL to succeed nationally. Adelaide has a huge following and without a team i suspect the NBL will lose these supporters. In my opinion if there is no team in Adelaide there will be no marketing of the sport or league within South Australia apart from to those people who have foxtel. Thus leading to a greater decline in grassroots basketball which goes against the aspirations of BA. There was a huge focus on grassroots basketball as part of the NBL submission process.

The other teams would would be pissed off if they waive the guarantee for Adelaide but not them. There is a chance that any club within the competition could fold at any point (even Perth and South Dragons). There may be a point the Bendat or Cowan decide enough is enough and stop funding these teams. I guess the factor with Adelaide is that to date they have not looked like pulling the pin mid-season not that you can say that it would never happen.

The NBL needs to ensure that the league is strong as it will look like a ballsup if there are problems during the next season when it is supposed to be the big revamp. I am not convinced that the guarantee is going to ensure this. One of the other big issues is that all teams have to pay money into the marketing fund, travel pool etc but they get no distribution back from the NBL from the tv rights or sponsorship. There needs to be a bit of give and take from the NBL on this issue.

Reply #233417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they (NBL) need Adelaide because it makes sense to send teams on this doomsday double otherwise you will be sending cairns to play in melb on a saturday then perth on the sunday can't see that being a good trip for the away team. It makes sense for Adelaide/Perth or Perth/Adelaide as an away double.

Reply #233418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NVS, the league wasn't too bad last year without Brisbane and with Sydney actually dragging the league down at times. Taking Adelaide out would be weird, but they could carry on. Might seem like the end of the world here, but the impact would be less noticeable elsewhere.

Anyway, you didn't really answer my specific questions.

The league is going to have to deliver a deadline to Adelaide soon, or postpone the competition.

Reply #233443 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

Isaac - i know i didnt really answer your questions becuase i dont really know the answer.

I think the league may have to postpone because the decision has been delayed for so long it is leaving the teams little time to prepare for the season. It also leaves BA bugger all time to organise the season and promote it (which they really need to do if it is going to be a success).

That being said if they are not going to postpone then yes Adelaide should be in the league. BA should reduce the requirement across all teams and provide some assurance to the teams with a return from the league tv deal, sponsorship, etc.

The $1m figure seems to be an arbitrary figure. Why not $500k? You would hope that a team could at least make it half way through the season as if they cant then why did they start the season to begin with. If they do fold half way through then you would think $500k would cover the costs (not $1m).

Are you part of one of the consortiums interested in the team? If not, have you considered it?

Reply #233450 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Regarding the group interested it is allright to say they wont get it going but why and why is Grubby Groves and his mate sending our club to oblivion.
FOC told us in another topic who wasnt in the group well who is as I am sure a lot would like to send their support etc.
Hey Isaac you better throw the Ferrari in to assist as it takes about a months NBA posts to get near a Sixers game night .
Well we all sit here and post and hope . I thought Brett retiring was bad news

Reply #233453 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The $1m figure was reduced from the recommended $1.5m (recommended by the review of the sport, that is). I would assume that it was planned to cover player and coach salaries (not sure about office staff), which would come to around that figure for a season, if adhering to the future cap.

So, your choice would be to let Adelaide in without a guarantee, and remove the guarantee requirement from all clubs?

Or, only require $500k?

What do you do if the 36ers fail a couple of months into the season? Or the Hawks, or Taipans?

How has the league moved on and up from last year? What's changed?

They have to lock in viable owners and viable teams. They need to pool resources and initiate a combined marketing effort (and not a crappy go at it either). Take a stand, but with patched up and well-supported troops, not have a few of your guys bleeding out behind you before you even begun the charge.

As for me, I am in absolutely no position to get financially involved in a club. Not even close.

I think you'd want a lot of spare money to even have a serious go at it. Anything less and you risk getting in over your head very quickly. Also, as interested parties would be well aware, this would be an incredibly challenging time to get involved - one, Maher's just retired; two, sponsorship would be very hard to get.

Reply #233454 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

One of the areas we thought Mal would be good at was working the corporate $. He showed no interest in this at all and as a previous poster said all he wanted to do was sit his fat arse on the bench not get corporate and entertain them.
Obviously a group of buyers will assist in this area more networking and a real desire to bring in extra money. Where do posters think this not happening .
Not a suitable price or other obstacles
Group cant get their act together.
Group hasnt really got the money to buy.
Or cant see it being viable if other teams can we certainly should be able with our attendances.
Yes I know there are owners with deep pockets but not all teams.
What happened to McPeake buying us

Reply #233486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

bretts, please play the ball, not the man. Talking about someone's "fat arse" isn't really helping anyone at all.

As for the hold-up, it's a tough gig. May they're not huge players and it's a not exactly a profit-making business so there are nerves and details to be wary of.

I have heard conflicting opinions on Mal's asking price so I am not sure that's the major issue.

Reply #233490 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I accept that repute Isaac but only repeating what has been posted many times before word for word but didnt need to be worded that way.
I cant really help but buy a couple of extra season tickets but really cant see if they can buy at the right price they cant make money by getting better corporate response with more direct personal approaches.and keeping expenses and player payments lower. West Sydney and end of season bit of real passion can make up for some talent. Of course better marketing by all will be a big improvement.
Last word on Mal has he done the right thing by all of us loyal supporters

Reply #233497 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

My personal opinion is that the franchise is being held to ransom by someone that no longer has any passion for it. That theory has been supported by a few of the club's associates... but it's all speculation with the facts publically available.

Much the same as Eddie owning Mal - we can ponder all we like.

My only concern at the moment is that the Sixers meet BA's requirements and I get to see them compete for the 2009/10 championship - the club and it's supporters deserve no less.

Reply #233519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide would be better folding until basketball itself gets player payments under control because all the securities in the world won't hold together a comp built on sand.
No sponsors, not enough of the population interested and a recession seem like reason enough for them to let the guys run around in the ABL until a real National comp can be formed with an agreed upon structure.

Reply #233522 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do you think payments will get under control though? Obviously big-spending Cairns have been brought back to ground, but the cap is technically higher and a few owners will still have the capacity to spend that amount.

Reply #233525 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Fully agree loco.
Hey anon.(233522) negative crap to NBL and to the general economy.
If we can get enough positives to get Sixers in and all tighten belts we can get a reasonable season then in 2010 with poss. Bris. and Syd. can move Fwd.
Sometimes have to go back to move fwd. The key is what BA are doing right is preventing someone bleeding mid season.

Reply #233527 | Report this post

Preacher  
Years ago

Has the State Government even been approached for help or do they need the directions to the Colac Hotel to find a politician?

Reply #233531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett, we can pretend the negative stuff doesnt exist and get the side up and running under a flawed sysytem and all be back here in 8 months time talking up the next fix.
I want a viable national basketball comp in Australia that will endure and produce home grown stars.
What's on the table now won't produce that and its not even a 'real' national comp.
If it means sitting out of basketball until wiser heads form something tangible then Im for that method rather than a consortium finding the cash to get it up now in a rush without a thought for the day after tomorrow.
No comp today for a stronger one tomorrow may be the best way to go because to date the past history of basketball in Australia is one of, one catastrophe after another.

Reply #233534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, good post - you shouldn't be afraid to use an alias as it need not reveal an identity - just gives your words more weight amongst many readers.

Reply #233537 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

I cant believe all you guys saying that we should sit out the season and wait until our 'leaders' can bring us to the promised land.
Surely, if we stay out for a season that means we lose our players, only to be left to pick up the 'left overs' when we get back in to the competition.
Sitting out also means we dont get a say in the development of the competition into the next season and beyond.
So, do we buy in now, when there is soooo much work to be done just to survive, or do we sit back, let all the others form the competition to suit themsleves, only to be told, here's the contract,'take it or leave it' with no room for negotiation.
Maybe the bank guarantee just makes things tough enough to force people to be real about their finances, and challenges them to perform at a higher level. Let's face it thats what the competition needs.

Reply #233547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754