Fill Smythe
Years ago

NBL cost reduction

Most posts regarding the new NBL mention high costs and lack of profits( therefore making them a poor business model for investment).
Should imports be limited to 1 per team for the next 2 years to reduce costs and hopefully give the league a viable platform to work from?

Topic #19709 | Report this topic

Preacher  
Years ago

I find it difficult to understand how a South Australian sporting team such as the 36ers is hard to sell. For a State that is so passionate about its sport and has a Basketball Association to cover all major populated areas, even in most Rural regions and they still can't generate the sort of following to make it a viable business opportunity... Come on... SA has so much potential.

Reply #233533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Preacher, take a look at the numbers and then factor in a tougher sponsorship market. While Adelaide has great advantages (lower cost of living, good and presumably affordable stadium, the best crowds in the league), there aren't a whole heap of corporate head offices here which likely impacts opportunities.

Reply #233536 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If they are companies that sell products and services nationally, they do not need to have their head office here to benefit from the exposure.

Reply #233540 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

EC,
So true, but as a rough rule of thumb, the CEO's of companies whose head offices are in Melbourne view little old SA as a backwater, so extracting $ support from them is hard.

Could a poster based in Victoria please confirm if there is truth in the rumour that John Brumby has appointed a Minster of Arrogance to his cabinet?

Reply #233544 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

The nbl is no different to most businesses in the world right now - cost management - use what youve got & lock the cheque book away. The best way to do that in the nbl is to watch player payments.

The first thing i'd be doing is not paying over rated & over priced Americans to soon. The Taipans fell huge victims to doing that recently. i think one import is a great idea & it gives our local talent more of a chance to find a roster.

The other idea is have one franchise player - who can receive any sum & everyone else fits into a cap. This guy is recruited for the purpose of putting 'bums on seats' & must fit into each clubs finances.
Imagine having Rodman or Jason Kidd play a year out here. I'd go watch.

But realistically right now i think clubs should consider no imports. Pay the Aussies a decent whack & continue to develop them. West Sydney almost pulled off a championship with no imports. Mckinnin, Trahair, Hinder. Dwight & Rillie were beautiful to watch that year & it took a very hot Ebi Ere to cool them down.

Goorgian has made imports role players these days. If no one can go shopping for a gun midyear i think that would make the nbl better - except kiwis, they should be allowed.

So the happy medium would be to have 1 import. i think that would work in times where spending must be watched.

Reply #233546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754