asd  
Years ago

U18 Boys State Thursday

Sturt Def Centrals
Norwood Def Eastern

Reply #233623 | Report this post

kdfdhgkf  
Years ago

Also Forestville looked fantastic in disposing for North last night by 30 or so in U18 boys. I think South beat West easily too.

Should be a very interesting and even competition.

Reply #233624 | Report this post

Leopard 11  
Years ago

If by even you mean, Spehr then all the other teams next, then sure.

Did you even watch U18 Nationals.

Reply #233625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Leopard 11. Without Spehr they are back with the pack. Some over-rated players got found out at nationals! (Please delete if this doesn't comply with the posting rules on juniors)

Reply #233630 | Report this post

bas42  
Years ago

Leopard11, the fact that Spehr is a gun has nothing to do with how even the competition might be. Not a very intelligent comment at all.

Reply #233641 | Report this post

3T  
Years ago

anyone know if all the results are on sporting pulse somewhere???

Reply #233649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be are the key words bas42. If he plays anywhere near his past two nationals form then he will get Sturt over the line. Pity his switch at the start of the season - if not for that yes it would be very even.

Reply #233650 | Report this post

Years ago

state champs are on sporting pulse - go to basketball, then south australia, - but instead of district basketball, pick sa junior championships off the menu

Reply #233661 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/index.php?id=68

Reply #233694 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The State div teams from Sturt doing very well. From the website, only team undefeated is the U21W 0/1 after one game. Most other Sturt teams int he state are 1/1 or 2/2. U14G 3/3.

Well done

Reply #233696 | Report this post

bas42  
Years ago

only team undefeated? Huh??

Reply #233698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didn't they lose in 21's Jack. i thought undefeated meant they won

Reply #233711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack's from centrals, say no more!

Reply #233715 | Report this post

Double Blue  
Years ago

From memory

Sturt - overall Club winner
Sturt - State Boys
Sturt Reserve Boys
Sturt tie with F/Ville for Reserve girls

Reply #233824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavericks runner up in boys State & girls State. A fantastic result for the club.

Reply #233826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Champion Male Standings
Sturt 23pts
Eastern 8pts
Forrestville 7pts
West Adelaide 5pts
South Adelaide 3pts
North Adelaide 3pts
Norwood 2pts

State Champion Female Standings
Forrestville 14pts
Eastern 11pts
Sturt 9pts
North Adelaide 7pts
Southern 6pts
Woodville 3pts
West Adelaide 3pts
Norwood 2pts

Overall Combined Standings
Sturt 32pts
Forrestville 21pts
Eastern 19pts
North Adelaide 10pts
West adelaide 8pts
Southern 8pts
Norwood 4pts
Woodville 3pts
South Adelaide 3pts

Reply #233829 | Report this post

Ostrich 98  
Years ago

Out of 20 competitions, Sturt had 16 semi-finalists, 14 grand finalists and won 10 of those. This included 12,16,18 and 20 Boys State and were runner-up in 14 Boys State. Pretty impressive results.

Reply #233845 | Report this post

Years ago

What are the points allocations?
First-5pts
Second-4
Third-3
Fourth-2
Fifth- 1pt?????

Reply #233846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123, its First - 5, Second - 3, Third - 2, Forth - 1.

Reply #233849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#829,

Do you have similar information for the reserve club competition. Thanks

Reply #233865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I don't understand is how close the girls competition is ve the boys competition.

Do clubs have different strategies/approaches to developing or training the girls and boys.

Just curious!

Reply #233867 | Report this post

Enquiry  
Years ago

Anon 829

Just a slight correction to your overall totals as you had Southerns Boys points wrong and correct totals are a follows:

Sturt 32
Forestville 21
Eastern 19
Southern Tigers 10
North Adelaide 10
West Adelaide 8
Norwood 4
South Adelaide 3
Woodville 3
Centrals 0

Cheers

Reply #233885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Enquiry, you are correct I missed one result for Southern. Correct Standings below:

State Champion Male Standings
Sturt 23pts
Eastern 8pts
Forrestville 7pts
West Adelaide 5pts
Southern 4pts
South Adelaide 3pts
North Adelaide 3pts
Norwood 2pts

State Champion Female Standings
Forrestville 14pts
Eastern 11pts
Sturt 9pts
North Adelaide 7pts
Southern 6pts
Woodville 3pts
West Adelaide 3pts
Norwood 2pts

Overall Combined Standings
Sturt 32pts
Forrestville 21pts
Eastern 19pts
North Adelaide 10pts
Southern 10pts
West adelaide 8pts
Norwood 4pts
Woodville 3pts
South Adelaide 3pts

Reply #233898 | Report this post

tnt  
Years ago

State Championships...yawn, boring, outdated, get rid of them. Past their used by date. Late nights, endless travel fron one end of town to the other and if you have two or more kids playing it is a nightmare. Let the top 4 battle it out to qualify for the Classics at the end of a a decent summer season. The rest can have fun in Nuna's or Ballarat ( or even Mildura subject to elligibility). It is not a longweekend so not worth including country teams in the draw to add a bit of diversity. Same old teams, same old faces same tired grumpy coaches and refs....same old blah blah blah.
The end of the winter season should see the best Clubs/teams crowned.
Sorry..over it. And yeh...like all the other 8/9 teams in their respective divisions we got beat!!!!
Talk it up or talk it down..it won't change. Even the photographers are over it.
But do not get me wrong...we still love our basketball, just not the Champs...!!!!

Reply #233915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was asked by a new parent to basketball why the state champs if you have GF's at end of winter season. All I could come up with was classic eligibility. He then asked why the reserve championship. I threw my hands in the air and said, "dunna". We did fairly well but I still have no real idea. I still personally think winter season GF is better.

Reply #233916 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

State Champs also use to be about the U14 Nationals and qualifying for that - now that has been taken off the table - and it makes a bit of a mockery when you can qualify for classics from State Champs results but not the U14 nationals.

And for classics? is it top 2 in each age division?

Reply #233919 | Report this post

allo allo  
Years ago

Top 4. Automatic bids.

Sturt 18 girls out!

Reply #233921 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Boring same old same old Blue Boys too damn good. Well done !!!! Again.

Reply #233957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a waste of time for players and parents having a state chhamps to tell us all what everyone knows and most don't care about

Reply #233979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a few of you didn't go to well at State Champs!

Reply #233981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty poor timing if you ask me. We only had the Easter Carnival a couple of weeks ago and for another weekend we have to travel all around the state just to do what. Have the two top teams play against each other. It proved nothing in our grade. The top 4 were in the semis, the two best teams in the grade were in the gf. Don't really see the point of it.........

Reply #233986 | Report this post

Leopard 11  
Years ago

With that attitude, do you expect anything different to happen.

Some clubs work hard to do well at State Champs and others accept getting beat.

Reply #234033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do we have reserve champs??

Reply #234040 | Report this post

Pulteney 16  
Years ago

Ways to beat Sturt at State Championships.

1 - Work hard, get better, win on court

2 - Try to get their div 2 kids to come over and play for our Div 1 teams

3 - Discredit Sturt by portraying them as the root of all evil

4 - Discredit the actual competition

I think we are officially at Stage 4.

Reply #234045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point 1 has a lot of merit, lost you after that.

Reply #234049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pulteney,

Or copy what Forestville girls are doing as they seem to have Sturt's measure.

Reply #234052 | Report this post

Pulteney 16  
Years ago

Agreed, Forestville (but few others) have chosen option number 1. All credit to them. It seems that option 2,3 and now 4 are in the majority however.

Reply #234053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looks like Mavs may also have juniors going in the right direction with an amazing improvement from previous years. Now in the top 3.

Reply #234055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah mavs have been the quiet achievers. Some great kids showing up to play now, and a coaching line up that will get stronger next year

Reply #234063 | Report this post

Fox 35  
Years ago

Hopefully, some other clubs follow their lead and take it up to Sturt.

Norwood and north seem to have dropped away quite a bit.

Reply #234078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the penny drop that there are too many clubs and there is no competition. Mavericks is a flash in the pan with unsatisfied sturt/forestville families building, recruiting whatever 2/3 good teams, certainly not developing existing stock.

Adelaide can only accommodate 4 or 5 clubs and forestville and sturt are the only clubs that have the networking in place to be top dogs.
norwood and north on past glory are the natural two to make up the four clubs to be competitive week in week out.

South, woodvile,centrals, southern, magic and wests need to merge or die as they are wasted space in a state where basketball doesnt rate, where jobs are going and the travel and costs of junior basketball make it a luxury sport.

Forestville/sturt are going to win state champs year in year out and over the last 8 years these clubs have won state champion club girls/boys 12 out of a possible 16 times, north 3 times and wests once.
state champs is a waste of time and is meaningless unless your concerned as to which of sturt or forestville is going to win it.

the ivory tower set should start to take notice of the rank and file because the never ending saga of carnival upon carnival and the phony 'its so important' line wears a bit thin to the majority with the trivia of top four going to the classics topping the list. In lots of cases the top two can't compete let alone the top four.

Revamp basketball, chop the dead wood and stop all the games where 80 point wins occur frequently. pro/rel, kill clubs or merege them but do something to stop this lopsided merry go round.

Reply #234117 | Report this post

tnt  
Years ago

Is it compulsory for Clubs to participate at Div One level in the Champs?

Reply #234199 | Report this post

DingBat  
Years ago

The problems you highlight are true in many cases your solutions are not very good. In a city of over 1Million people we should be able to have 9 highly competitive district clubs. The structure of the competition needs to change I agree but Im not sure just killing off clubs, many of them servicing the outer lying areas in key growth regions, a good solution for basketball.

Basketball was more competitive 10-15 yrs ago with a much, much lower grassroots participation rate so going to back to a smaller region and less opportunities for participation may not be the solution.

Pro/rel in some form sounds like the best I have heard.

Reply #234209 | Report this post

Years ago

I wasnt saying that the clubs shudn't work hard, its just a big ask to back it up again after Easter. My team made the GF and we played pretty average all weekend. We can't play under pressure as we rarely have to. Our team is a step above the rest of the division bar one or two teams so our girls dont get to develop because they dont get challenged each week. I think something like pro / rel needs to atleast be tried before the basketball in this state gets any worse.

Reply #234217 | Report this post

fox26  
Years ago

Can I sum this up by pointing out that someone has stated earlier that it was a fantastic effort by Mavericks for being runner up ,that is the difference. Sturt would not consider that a fantastic effort.
Can i also suggest also that if you want to change the result in future; get of your butt & do it, or forever shut thy mouth & accept it.

Reply #234723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt must have been devastated with the girls result then.

Reply #234737 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754