Quagmire
Years ago

Houston v LA Predictions?

I think the winner of this series will go on to win it all.

And i am leaning more and more towards that team being the Rockets.

I look at the match-ups and Houston have a great chance.

Kobe will be defended straight up by the two best perimeter defenders in the comp in Artest and Battier.

Look for them to make Kobe shoot the jumper which while still deadly, doesn't get his team mates involved, and doesn't get the Rockets big men into foul trouble.

It also means that help defenders can stay with their assignments, so wave goodbye to offensive rebounds Odom, and wave goodbye to open treys everyone else.

Pau Gasol is fantastic but Scola will keep him honest and if he gets around Scola, Ming is at the cup to make life difficult.

Bynum will be a non-factor.

Brooks is quick, too quick to trap using old Fisher.
PG is the Rockets only glaring weakness but Portland had the same weakness, and so does LA, so it doesn't hurt them nearly as much.

Factor in that Artest creates so much with his ability to dribble drive and the PG weakness is all but a saw.

For the record- who on LA's team can defend Artest?
Odom would be my choice but when he is on the floor he will be needed to guard Scola because LA has no big men outside the big 3 in Bynum, Gasol and Odom.
You can't start all 3 coz that leaves you with nothing off the bench.
Kobe? Too risky coz of the fouls and stamina, coz he is going to be working damn hard in attack.
It will probably be Ariza/Walton so in the end, Artest could have a huge series....could.

I'm actually predicting a Rockets series win. They will get one in LA, sweep at home and either close in LA or at home in Houston.

Topic #19748 | Report this topic

The Journo  
Years ago

Lakersover Houston 4-1, Nuggets over Dallas 4-1

Lakers over Nuggets 4-2

Magic to beat Celtics 4-2, Cavs to sweep Hawks 4-0

Cavs over Magic 4-1

Cavs over Lakers 4-2

Reply #233843 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Dallas will beat Denver.
Celts will beat Magic.
Cavs beat Hawks.

Houston beats Dallas.
Cavs beat Celts.

Houston beats Cavs.

Reply #233844 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Now back to reality. I will be very surprised if Houston can win more than 1 game in this series.
Denver will be playing L.A in the Western Finals and Cleveland will be waiting for the winner of that one in the Finals. As much as I want Denver to beat L.A after they beat Dirk and Co I doubt it'll go down like that. It'll be Kobe Vs LeBron with Lebron coming out of it with a ring.

Reply #233851 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

nobody can stop the greatest to paly the game Kobe - Artest trash talk only going to give ammunition to the great one - if Houston wants ot be competitive they need to shut the hell up and hope kobe is not pissed

Reply #233853 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yes back to reality! Lakers will beat Houston 4-2 or 4-1. For the record Lakers swept Houston 4-0 during the season. So not sure what this struggle Quagmire seems to suggest is about.

"Bynum will be a non-factor." Yeah right!

Reply #233854 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Quagmire- you're crazy...I mean, I can see where you're coming from and what's on paper seems to look good for Houston but we dominated season series 4-0 (and there's no excuses) a bagel is a bagel.

Moreover, everybody talking Kobe becomes a jump shooter etc. I can think of so many occasions Kobe drove in the paint to challenge Yao so Yao will still get into foul trouble.

Gasol's too long for Scola. Period. Pau's not soft if you've seen him play. Bynum didn't do too bad against Yao during the regular season. And honestly I don't think he's played that bad other than the last 2 7min games of the Jazz series. I don't understand why people keep giving him shit when the ref were just calling all sorts of things against him. In the limited minutes he played in the first few games he was still somewhat efficient.

Boozer was hurting us in those games and all Bynum was trying to do was get him back but because of Bynum's size it just seems ref started making calls against him. But things will likely change now with Yao.

Lastly, we have a deeper bench than Houston. Period. Wafer can potentially hurt us from the bench and that's it. By the way things are looking Shannon is stepping up big time with size and athleticism, I watched him play in college when I was working for Arizona and he's got some freakish athleticism.

Ariza will also be another premier defender for us along with Kobe. Artest never really got going against us. Remember Kobe's one of the best perimeter defender in the league.

Reply #233858 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Yeah, I hope you're right Quagmire but I think you've been thinking about this a bit too much. Houston are cannon fodder.

Reply #233859 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Oh yeah Quagmire also

Josh Powell: 6-9 (Great mid-range shooter with great energy)
DJ Mbenga: 7-0 (Strong as hell, athletic defender)

We have THREE 7 footers on the team and you're calling us small without the big 3? Man you're crazy. We were jacked up earlier with four 7 footers so we traded Chris Mihm and you think that's a worry for us? Sasha's a 6-7 guard for us! Adam Morrison and Luke Walton 6-8!

which other big on Houston can be as effective? Both Powell and Mbenga stepped up for us when Bynum went down during the season; so they can play when required. Without Matumbo Houston don't have nobody back up the post.

Reply #233862 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Need i remind you guys its the play-offs?

Powell????? Mbenga????? Are you guys serious?

Morrison= chump
Vujawhatshisname= chump
Shannon Brown= chump

Reply #233864 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

you were questioning we don't have no bigs...whoelse Houston have? coming down to the bench Mbenga and Powell still better than what Houston have. So are YOU serious to be questioning it in the first place?

My guess is you haven't watched Shannon Brown play. I can pretty much chump ALL Houston's bench buddy.

Reply #233866 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

In the play-offs your starters play 35 your stars play 40.

Houston has a rotation that works really well,

Brooks/Lowry at PG
Artest/Battier/Wafer on the wing
Ming/Scola/Landry in the paint.

All the guys you have quoted as being part of LA's geater depth, are not better than the Lowry/Wafer/Landry team.

There are no players that LA can exploit like they did Brewer in Utah, Houston players can all shoot.

They are a team that is 100% designed for grind it our play-off basketball with a coach who has given Phil trouble in the past.

I can't wait to see how Kobe handles this series, and the fallout from a loss.

Reply #233868 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Exactly, it's the playoffs. Which is why Kobe, Odom and Gasol will probably knock Houston out of the park. Champion teams with championship experience find a way to win - I think both of your nit-picking about individual matchups is kinda futile here. Don't forget, this Houston's first first-round win in over ten years! Like I said, I hope I'm wrong because I can't stand LA, but I think that's how it'll roll, personally.

Reply #233869 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I get your point there Hereschenes, but don't you think all those hard fought first round losses has given them the experience of fighting hard in every game? I really think that LA is set for a tumble.

All successful teams need an alpha dog to follow- T-Mac was not it, Artest is. He won't give any respect to Kobe, and Houston will follow his example.

Reply #233871 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

Ofcourse the LAkers are goign to win - the NBA wants it;'s LeBron v Kobe matchup in the Finals this year !!! what the NBA wants they find a way of getting !!

Reply #233872 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

for a team going through the grind, they are typically a big team. and other than Yao you don't have another 7footer on the team. So in theory Lakers have a team that's at least 150% designed for the grind.

LA:
Odom/Walton/Brown(Farmar)

Houston:
Lowry/Wafer/Landry

you don't understand, when Powell had a chance he was effective as hell (in fact he had 17pts 9reb against Houston this season!) and so was Bmenga the guy is a defensive stopper (he averages 1blk with only 8min of play). Sorry that we can go 12 deep. Harsh reality. We have too many guys who can step up big on any given night. And Houston has yet to stop Pau and Kobe although Scola, Battier and Artest sounds great.

Conversely, there's nobody on Lakers roster Houston can exploit. In fact our guys are even better offensively as we are 3rd best offensive team in the league trailing only Phoenix and Golden State. And how you explain their big fat bagels in 4 attempts this season? Your theory certainly hasn't worked thus far.

I know you trying to play the playoff card but but teams with 4-0 edge in the past have the reputation of winning that series. Mind you Houston's not the only team who'll raise their level of play.

Reply #233873 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I agree with you on Artest, Quagmire. Funny to think that Houston have had a better chance of success without T-Mac than with him! (On a sort-of-related note, how much did Gordon suck yesterday? Throwing up ridiculous shots from outside... I wanted to slap him.)

You could say that LA are due for a stumble I guess, and obviously it could happen. But I still think the odds are stacked squarely in their favour. We'll get some sort of idea tomorrow I guess!

Reply #233874 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Side note- Bulls need to let Gordon walk. Salmons can shoot just as good, and he doesn't hurt you so much in defence. With Deng back the bulls could be ok. Rose/Sal/Deng/Thomas/Noah.

That team would make the second round.

and get swept.

Reply #233877 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

couting for a team to stumble, Houston probably have a greater chance due to greater stress throughout the season. Even playoffs, they were sitting on the edge just how much longer they can hold themselves together? Can they hold on the pressure of being an underdog?

This is not even a legit reason as any team can tumble, and a Phil Jackson coached team has rarely tumbled till the finals. Just because what happened to Dallas few years back doesn't mean that's what you count on every series.

Reply #233879 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Bulls with no Gordon would struggle to win 30 games! They would not have enough scoring power then! You don't just let a 20ppg player walk!

Reply #233882 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Their 4 meetings this year:

Lakers 111 - 82 Rockets (Kobe 33mins 10/17FG 23pts)
Lakers 105 - 100 Rockets (Kobe 33pts 7rebs 4ast)
Lakers 102 - 96 Rockets (Kobe 14/23FG 37pts 6ast 5rebs)
Lakers 93 - 81 Rockets (Kobe 7/11FG 4/6 3's 20pts 7ast)

I find it funny when people say yeh but hes coming up against the two best perimetre defenders in the game....which is true yes....but Kobes record against Artest is embarressing for Ron, and his scoring average against the Rockets this year is 28 while shooting over 54 percent.

He's never been bothered by their defense, and Artest loves to trash talk Kobe and push him around a bit, which Kobe just loves.

The Lakers will have no problem with them in my opinion. Houston MIGHT get game 3

Reply #233886 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I never liked the idea Gordan, Rose backcourt. But seeing how it worked out in the playoffs was pretty awesome. But in the same time perhaps Gordan has to leave for Rose to reach full potential.

Just like Miles had to leave Cleveland when Lebron first came in. I'd try sign and trade for a solid post. they have all the athleticism down there but not a bruiser.

Reply #233887 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

your quick to call L.A players chumps but did Houston beat them at all this season???
I'm not an LA fan, I'm a realist...

Reply #233888 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Sorry to call em chumps, they are legit NBA players, but IMO they are benefiting massively from a team that has Kobe and Gasol providing open looks and put-back opportunities galore.

Houston is going to limit that.

Also- never said Kobe wasn't going to get his. But take a look at those games.... LA averaged 111 per game, they got that once against Houston, then we see a nice steady decline...

I think Houston can hold LA to under 100 for the series, the problem is where the Rockets are gonna get their points.

Thats where the creative chaos of Artest and the bankable consistancy of Yao come in.

Reply #233891 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Pretty sure Ariza would be able to guard Artest....

Reply #233893 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Ariza will get the job for sure. I like his athleticism but he cannot handle Artests size... I saw him play for the first time against Portland and couldn't believe how broad and muscular the upper body was compared to the lower body... Reminded me of Rodman and young Anthony Mason.

Reply #233894 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kobe was owned the Rox this season. This series will be over in 5. Houston will steal 1 game, maybe 2, but they just don't have the overall quality that the Lakers have.

Ariza is a great defender and will keep Artest honest. Gasol and Odom (weakside defender) can keep Yao contained, Scola doesn't scare anyone offensively. I don't see the Rockets having the firepower to beat the Lakers in a 7 game series.

The match-up in this series I really like is Phil V Rick. Two great coaches, and Rick is still dirty over the Kings screwjob against the Lakers.

Reply #233895 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Los Angeles won the season series 4-0, dominating the fourth quarter of each game, with Bryant averaging 28.3 points.

I would therefore argue Artest and Battier's influence against Kobe has been minimal.

Reply #233899 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Scola was the Rockets leading scorer for the series against Portland.

Can't miss from the high post which is always open because of the 'Ming' factor.

And you can bet your ass Rick is looking for payback.

Reply #233901 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The year the bulls won 70 games they lost twice to the Stoudamire lead Raptors.

Does that mean the Raps would be equal favourites to win a series against the bulls?

Play-offs are different.

And i'm gonna say it again for all the morons in the cheap seats- Kobe will score. He'll get 25-35 a game depending on his jumper and the officials (shout out to dcanwade) but its the rest of the team, that will not get the easy looks or mismatches they usually get during the regular season.

Because Houston can play Kobe straight up.

Reply #233903 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

The Lakers swept the Rockets in the regular season, I don't think they will have that much problems with them in this series. I agree with TR, I just don't see where the Rockets are going to have the firepower to over come the Lakers. On the other hand, if your that confident about the Rockets there will be some pretty good money to be won from it.

Getting slightly OT but what i'm not buying this year is all the hype of a Lakers v Cavs finals series, it's not a done thing. I am interested to see how the Cavs go against the Hawks, the Pistons series was always going to be a walkover and IMO the weakest team to make the playoffs this year. The Hawks pushed Boston to 7 last year and I don't think they have been given enough credit for beating Miami.

If Denver meet the Lakers in the WCF as I expect, I think they have a good shot to beat them. I don't think the Cavs run in will be as easy as some people are making it out to be.

Reply #233905 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And that is fair enough. But did the Bulls play the Rap's in the playoffs? no.

Houston have not been ale to win in the playoffs for years, whereas the Lakers...well they know how to win in the post-season.

I reckon there will be some close games and the Rockets will win a couple...I predict a 4-2 scoreline in favour of LA.

Reply #233906 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The thing that hurts the hawks is Marvin williams being injured.

He could shoot and help stretch the D so smokin joe could get to the paint.

I think so much comes down to how Josh Smith plays...

I think it will be Hawks/Cavs game 2 on friday for ONE HD so we should get a good look at it.

And there is money to be won on the Rockets, and i am all over it.

Reply #233913 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Now if only David Andersen were playing for Atlanta - he could easily cover for Williams as he brings a similar game to the table...

Reply #233917 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

the NBA can cash in on the Chinese connection and interest in this one - so it'll go at 6 games for LA - they won't risk a Game 7 though because nothing is going to stop a LeBron v Kobe matchup in the Finals - especially in a time of US recession - that is the best Finals the NBA can get !!!

Reply #233918 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Artest vs Lebron? Ghetto gangster vs the King?

Reply #233922 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Re: the Gordon-less Bulls. I was thinking the same thing while watching games 6 & 7. Yes, he scores a lot, but some of the crap he chucks up is terrible. He can't defend either, and the silly fouls he tries to draw, or gives away, are detrimental to the team.
The problem with the Bulls is they don't have a leader. They have 4 guys who can play well but at least two of them are battling each other to be "the man". Take Gordon out of the equation, and replace him with a proper centre, and they become a contender.

Reply #233927 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Speaking of centers.... not enough credit given to the play of my boy Perkins.

Now i know Bynum is injured, but i made the call mid year that perkins and bynum would be even come play-off time. And i think it's justified. Perk is the leading shot blocker in the finals and is the key to the series against the magic.

I would love to have him at the jazz, and have a Boozer/Perk frontcourt...

Reply #233928 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

it all depends on the mood great Kobe is in - if he feels merciless expect Rockets to be destroyed - the best the best hope Rockets have is not to get Kobe angry

Reply #233935 | Report this post

blaze boi  
Years ago

lakers will win in 5 games. i guarantee you, i have connections.

Reply #233949 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Quagmire- you've only just seen Artest play? I been following his game since Chicago so I'd think I'd have a better understanding of his ability and I can tell you Ariza is more than capable of guarding him despite Ron's width. Trevor's got too much length. And I'd suggest you to put some money on the Lakers so you don't lose too much.

PS Rockets can just keep playing Kobe straight up and get BBQ'd all serie.

Reply #233952 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

"it all depends on the mood great Kobe is in - if he feels merciless expect Rockets to be destroyed - the best the best hope Rockets have is not to get Kobe angry "

Just when i think i can't laugh any more, i read it again, and i laugh even harder. My favourite bit is when you type 'the best' twice.

And for the record, the best a Denver cheerleader can hope for is not to get Kobe angry. Artest will be fine ;-)

Reply #233958 | Report this post

I really hate when people say 'we' when they are talking about the team they SUPPORT.

Reply #233972 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

ok, how about if you're an ex-employee? you're allowed to say 'we'?

Reply #233973 | Report this post

frogger  
Years ago

suck balls LA boy - what position did u play for the lakers? backup pg? shooter off the bench? otherwise stfu!

Reply #233975 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

lol I backed up D-Fish yeah pff. I served intern for 9 months after college.

Reply #233976 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I really do hope LA loose the series but it aint going to happen. Houston's chances to steal one early have improved with Kobe sick but they'll prob just ring in "playtime" and "LA boy" to cover for him.
HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Reply #233996 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754