nickyg
Years ago

Zip it Perth. Bevo under pressure

He's only just been signed & the wilcats are already talking about how they'll expect nothing less than a title under Bevo's 3 year reign.
Every club wants a tite - do the wildcats have to make it so obvious in the media? If i was Bevo i'd have a water tight contract cos if he doesn't bring home the bacon in the 1st of his 3 year tenure - they will sack him! & lets face it - he wont. Top 4 won't cut it, ask conner...

I just sometimes feel silence is golden. How much pressure do you want to put on a guy in his work environment? I have no doubt he's a great coach & will attract top juniors but he still hasn't been in the post season. Good luck Bevo - you'll walk away hating Vlahov like everyone else.

Topic #19754 | Report this topic

Paul  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with expecting a title if you are consistently in the finals. I think Bevo will warm to people much more than Connor and be given his three years to produce.

Reply #233912 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

First of all, Vlahov has apparently left/is leaving the club, so he only has a short amount of time to build that hatred. Granted, AV is an expert at pissing people off so any brief encounter could lead to them being enemies.
Secondly, I am interested to know where this title talk has come from. I just read the local articles - Bevo has said that he wants to build a successful, long term program. Nothing wrong with that. And this announcement comes only a couple of weeks after Nick Marvin said that it's time to get the focus back to the community, and forget about titles for a while. That was quite an unusual statement from Marvin, but it sure doesn't sound like he expects a title straight away.
Are you able to post the links to this outburst from the Wildcats?

Reply #233926 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

www.nbl.com.au

Reply #233965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which article? I read both and have no idea what you're talking about.

Reply #233966 | Report this post

Simple minded  
Years ago

They will NOT sack him if he doesnt win a title in the first season. Vlahov and the culture in perth has always been an arogant one, id rather hear, as a fan, Ninnis talking titles. Good luck to them, and screw pressure, he has signed for big bucks, he should be held accountable, im sure Bevo isnt that fragile a guy that he wont warm to the challenge set for him through the media.

Reply #233968 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Thier going to win the title for a league that has yet to be announced/established - good luck :-)

On the positive side at least its some publicity and generating some public interest, only wish there was some more info about the league that this public interest could feed onto.

Reply #234029 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

They haven't actually said that at all. nickyg has got a little confused between a quote made by Bendat last year, and the analysis of the signing by nbl.com.au

Reply #234046 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

'The second thing communicated by the signing was that the Wildcats will not accept anything except success.

Those of you who are Conner Henry fans (and there certainly are a few as Henry always wore his heart on his sleeve and was selfless enough to take a bullet for his players after a loss) will undoubtedly point out that the Wildcats made it all the way to the Semi-Finals under the rookie head coach.

Problem is, when you're a team that hasn't missed the Finals in 23 years and has been to the Grand Final seven times for four title wins, just making the post-season isn't really cause to break out the Bollinger.

Out West, they don't just expect success, they demand it.' nbl.com.au

I already named my quote. I'm not confused i think they need to shut up!! Everyone wants to win, sometimes going about your business quietly has better results.

Whether he's leaving or not i'm still convinced that he gets his say in! Vlahov needs to realise that Perth will never be as good as when him & ricky were around. I disagree with his arrogance as an owner & administrator but i loved him as a player!!

If Bevo delivers - fantastic but he'll have more chance if he can get his people to talk it down a bit. Back it up or shut up. Why put undue pressure on yourselves?

Reply #234124 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754