LC
Years ago

And the King is crowned...

LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers has been named as the 2008/09 NBA Most Valuable Player in his 6th NBA season.

NBA Link: http://linky.com.au/212u3

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/4qu5j

The Cleveland Cavaliers star won what some expected to be a close vote in a slam dunk. He received 109 of a possible 121 first-place votes to easily outdistance Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers. James totaled 1,172 points in balloting by media members in the U.S. and Canada.

Bryant, last year's winner, got two first-place votes and finished with 698 points. Miami guard Dwyane Wade was third with 680 points and was named first on seven ballots. Orlando center Dwight Howard (328) was fourth followed by New Orleans guard Chris Paul (192).

James is the first Cavaliers player to win the award. He averaged 28.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.2 assists this season, his sixth as a pro. He also finished second in voting for defensive player of the year, making him perhaps the league's most dominant two-way player since Michael Jordan.

Kings Of The Court
LeBron James became the seventh player since the ABA-NBA merger in 1976 to earn rookie of the year and MVP honors in a career. Here's a look at his prestigious company:

ROY MVPs
LeBron James 2004 1
Tim Duncan 1998 2
Allen Iverson 1997 1
Shaquille O'Neal 1993 1
David Robinson 1990 1
Michael Jordan 1985 5
Larry Bird 1980 3

Topic #19755 | Report this topic

only 1 bird  
Years ago

thats some pretty heavy company he is keeping now

Reply #233995 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Flash is the true MVP. This guy is a show boating tosser.

Reply #233997 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

the second coming King James was always going to get it .. although the great Kobe is still the best - he will eventually hand the crown to the King !

Reply #233998 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

*waits for KingJames to accept the award*

Reply #233999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe his teammates can take a fake photo of it for him!

Reply #234000 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ahh and here come all the haters! man Lebron deserved it. His team lost twice at home all season, and they are probably the favourite for the title....Enough said!

Reply #234003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, leading the Cavs to the best record, while dominating at both ends of the court is just showboating. What a tosser.

Reply #234009 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lebron is an absolute narcissistic moron, but he absolutely deserved the MVP. I mean, it's the award for the best basketball player, not the nicest guy award.

Reply #234011 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

it's not the King's fault that his the 2nd best player ever behind only kobe ... if you're that GOOD it only comes across as arrogant sometimes to lesser beings !!

Reply #234018 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

i bet if you met the King in person you'll probably never have met a more down to earth guy ...

Reply #234019 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

haha you beat me to it hereschenes. I was trying to come up with something witty but I had nothing. I don't particularly like the guy, just the nick name has stuck.

Reply #234023 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

playtime - actually, I bet I wouldn't, if he actually believes the things he says about himself on the public record. I can't stand sportspeople that praise themselves with their words - you're supposed to let other people do that for you. When he was on Oprah, he basically said he wanted to be the biggest global icon in the world. I mean, whatever man. I'll take a humble guy every day of the week, and he exhibits none.

He's not alone, of course. It seems a given these days for a large number of elite athletes to strut around with "I'm the best" basically tattooed on their chest. Their loss.

Reply #234031 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

it braggin if you can back it up .. don't you think? - just telling it like it is

Reply #234032 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I can see myself breaking-out into an uncalled-for philosophical rant about humility and human nature, so I'll just agree to disagree with you, playtime. ;) I'm not saying you shouldn't excel at what you do, but going around telling people how awesome you are is a severe character flaw, in my opinion. No matter who you are.

Reply #234042 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Lebron deserves the award and the Cavs have exceeded expectations this year. Certainly title favourites and potentially best in the East.

Lebron is a damn sexy man too. I like his brick build body.

Reply #234047 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

if ya got it - ya gotta flaunt it !!!

Reply #234051 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

No playtime, you do not.

Reply #234101 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

LeBron's Stats:

PPG: 28.3
RPG: 7.6
APG: 7.3
SPG: 1.7
BPG: 1.2

FT Pct: 77.9
FG Pct: 48.9
3PT: Pct: 34.5.

Now Kobe:

PPG: 27.0
RPG: 5.3
APG: 4.9
SPG: 1.5
BPG: 0.5

FT Pct: 85.8
FG Pct: 46.7
3PT: Pct: 35.0.

That sums it all up i think. Plus, he led the Cavs to the best record in the NBA and from memory they only lost 2 games at home( i think). He thoroughly deserved the award.

Reply #234105 | Report this post

WEST  
Years ago

hereschenes - Geezzz it'd suck to have tall poppy syndrome. I'm sure if you had the chance to meet the guy, or if you even saw him in the flesh you would be trembling and drooling in your boots... I'd like to then see you say that stuff you have to say to his face. He is pure amazing!!! He is where amazing happens! He talks the talk and walks the walk - What an awesome character!!

Reply #234154 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

if you were to make a perfect human being - size, athleticsm,charm, money - it would be him - that's why his called the King and the Second Coming !!

Reply #234169 | Report this post

LBJoke  
Years ago

Here Here Hereschenes.

James is so full of himself.... it is laughable.

You never heard MJ stroking himself like Lebron.

Reply #234220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754