Kent Brockman
Years ago

Adelaide United to be under FFA control

Channel 10 tonight suggested that Adelaide United's license will be handed back to the FFA by Nick Bianco.

Not a good time for SA sport at the moment with the Sixers ,United and Port Power all suffering.

Can Adelaide as a city support all of these sports, are there enough fans to go round?

Sixers will be watching closely no doubt to see if there is any Gov assistance toward the soccer.

Topic #19784 | Report this topic

Peter  
Years ago

Interesting too that this coincides with yesterday's front page article featuring Nick Bianco's reaction to not winning part of the defence contract to build new warships. Perhaps the loss of contract has meant no spare cash to prop up the Reds.

In the USA there was a study a while back that highlighted that the consolidation of businesses in a number of sectors had led to fewer businesses with strong links to regional centres and cities (e.g., through relocations of head offices). As a result, some regional economies were getting left behind and there was less sponsorship and financial support of clubs and organisations from businesses in those regions than in others.

SA has lost a few large businesses or their head offices in the last 10 years, including Southcorp, Mitsubishi and others I can't recall (News Limited was a bit earlier than 10 years ago - early 90s I think). While the mining boom is meant to revitalise the economy, the big miners (BHP-Biliton, Rio Tinto) are not based here and probably won't be splashing out sponsorship dollars here (more likely to do so in WA).

Perhaps these events surrounding the 36ers, the Reds and the Power are reflective of a regional economy that is starting to struggle to keep up with the larger economies of Qld, NSW, Vic and WA. All of those economies grew (until recently in NSW) a lot faster than SA's over the last decade or so.

No hard data to back this hypothesis, just a thought.

Reply #234266 | Report this post

Ricky Riccardo  
Years ago

If Bianco cant afford to keep pouring money into a pretty good Adelaide soccer team, then what hope have the 6ers got in scraping in over the line?

No chance, me thinks.

Reply #234284 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Nice points thoughts Peter .

The NSW economy on the whole has been slowing up Australias growth over the last few years and is in real trouble of late

We are seeing the result of the world digesting itself through greed . Eventually we will be left with a super elite ruling class and billions more living well blow the poverty line .
Gloomy prediction i know but we are on the way . It's time for a revolution or a mass exodus to the underground hut , a utopian society on top of the earths mantle below the chaos .

Reply #234328 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Head ofices have moved out and dollars are spent by marketing teams based mainly in NSW.

re West Aust... the only major miner with a head office left in Perth is Woodside.

Reply #234353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754