Detroit
Years ago

Mavs-Nuggest last second foul

From NBA.com

NEW YORK, May 9, 2009 -- Joel Litvin, NBA President, League and Basketball Operations, issued the following statement regarding the final seconds of Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals between the Denver Nuggets and the Dallas Mavericks:

"At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony's 3-point basket."

What are peoples thoughts on the foul and statement?

There is no doubting that he was fouled, and intentionally, but had the call been made and stopped the clock and cancel the score, wouldn't it be at a disadvantage to Anthony who was good enough to hit the three after the contact. In the same sense, it is rewarding the defensive team for intentionally fouling and stopping that three point basket. This is why teams foul at the end of the game, to stop the clock.

I might have a different view on it, but i personally would rather see that situation either no-called or late called at a disadvantage, or for excessive physical contact.

Topic #19831 | Report this topic

nickyg  
Years ago

It's one of those ones where if the shot misses you call the late foul - similar to the aussie rules ump calling the ball back if their is no clear advantage.

I like Denver with Billups in there.

Joe Dumars must be spewing he traded him for Iverson. He's a great player!!

Reply #234875 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Denver are playing some dope ball at the mo and Billups is steering the ship towards a championship.
I'm not sure if anyone out West can stop Cleveland tho.

Reply #234890 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

nickyg - I disagree that it was "one of those ones". I see what you're saying, but there was no way they could have called the foul if the 3-point attempt had missed - too much delay. Anthony was wide-open when he took the shot.

I think the Mavs have been screwed here. Again, I see what the OP is saying, but a foul's a foul, and it's not fair on anyone to start re-interpreting fouls depending on what the score is and how much time is left.

Reply #234900 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Yeah I agree, Mavs were very unlucky. A foul is a foul..And if I can remember correctly, the referees had called HEAPS of fouls in that game..Like 45 +. They should call the foul, because they would have called the foul if the exact same played occured in the 1st quarter..Consistency please?

Reply #234911 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

If Wright had waited for a whistle before he stopped playing defense Melo might never have got a good shot off let alone make it. Then Denver would have been the ones complaining about the no call. Keep playing until you hear the whistle.

Reply #234913 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

The officals will always call the fouls for the more marketable team or player. The NBA was never with fouls and nowadays there is an increase in technical fouls and lots of "soft" falls - whereas in the previous decades - it's just a hard foul in playoff basketball and soft fouls were non existent - just let the big guys play BALL !!!

With too many fouls - the refs are have too much control in the outcome of the game - look at the LA - Kings series - where the officals conspired ot get the marketable LA in the Fianls vs Nets - rahter then the poor ratings a King v Nets finals years back and the "just look at D-Wade and there's a foul" Finals between Heat-Mavs few years back

Be assured that Cavs and LAkers will be getting their share of good fouls this year - the NBA want a LeBron v Kobe showdown !!!

Reply #234916 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

meant to say never consistent with fouls

Reply #234919 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I think they will be getting a Cavs-Lakers finals series anyway without any help. Having said that it will be interesting to keep an eye on Game 5 of the LA-Houston series. If Houston are up early it will be a good chance to test out those conspiracy theories!

Reply #234948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754