Isaac
Years ago

Who wouldn't play in a rogue league?

While I don't think that it's that likely that it would come about, I was wondering which players a rogue league might attract.

John Rillie thinks you'd get enough players interested in a rogue super league, but I'm not convinced that the standard would be all that much better than a budget interim league.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but players (and refs? Not sure about coaches) who suited in an unsanctioned BA/FIBA league would be ineligible for international play (for a particular period? Anyone know?). Any player likely to make a national team or even squad now or in the future would probably avoid falling afoul of that.

That'd leave imports (bar Ere and maybe Thomas if he still wanted to play for CA?), veterans unlikely to be considered for the Boomers (Rillie, McGregor, and potentially guys like Harvey and Black?), and others (Dowdell, Reed, etc).

Going on last season's rosters, here's who I think would avoid a rogue league (add or subtract from the list if you think I'm wrong). Remember, I'm including anyone who might make a Boomers squad in the next 1-3 years, including some that might scrape in if the top players are unavailable for minor tournaments and trials.

Perth: Weigh, Crawford, Rogers, Robbins, Loughton, Redhage

NZ: Penney, Bruton, Forman, Abercrombie, Webster, Daniel, Boucher, Henare

Melbourne: Ere, Kendall, Greer, Thomas, Anstey, Barlow, Crosswell

Gold Coast: Cameron, Vanderjagt

Cairns: Crosswhite, Williams maybe

Adelaide: Bruce (if interested in Boomers), Winitana, Hill, Schenscher, Holmes

South: Gibson, Ingles, Worthington, Vukona, Horvath, Burston

Sydney: Khazzouh, Smith maybe, Knight, Rush, Martin

Townsville: Hinder, maybe a Cedar, Tovey might give up basketball soon?

Wollongong: Tait, Davidson, Tragardh, Saville (retired from international basketball), Petrie

That's a lot of pretty decent players.

Topic #19847 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

Ggrr I'm sorry Isaac I hate this rogue league talk- just the principle of it and the stigma that was attached to players and clubs eg in rugby league is enough to make my blood curdle.
Once a rogue league starts, how is it set up, policed, got rid of if it goes bad?
I'm just very uncomfortable with it! :(

Reply #235080 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't like it much either, but I wanted to give JR a list, and Twitter doesn't exactly give enough space to list them all there!

Reply #235082 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Please don't tell me you Twitter!
Isn't that like a poor man's text message? :p

Reply #235087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stops me from listening to JR and DJ Rod more than 140 characters at a time. ;)

I know/assume/hope you're joking, but anyone who writes it off as poor man's SMS or "just Facebook status updates" is missing the potential. Don't worry, I did it initially too as well until Kevy47 told me a story!

Reply #235091 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Ok I give:
I have no idea what Twitter is other than status updates- if there's more to the story/ other benefits, email me when you have time lol.

Reply #235094 | Report this post

State teams - with 8 teams, maybe 6 if NT & ACT wont get involved. It's a rogue league without looking too much like one.

Reply #235110 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, if your list of players who wouldn't play in a rogue league is in the slightest bit accurate, then that's enough to reject the rogue league proposal. What is the NBL without these players? Who is left? How fair is it on these players to be left without a gig for a year and anything between no income and very little income? There are so many people to consider when making a move like this. I still don't understand why this year cannot continue as the old NBL and still work towards reform for the future. Reform is not all the doom and gloom we are seeing if its done over a reasonable time span. To try and push it at break neck speeds as its been happening is what is causing all the doom and gloom.

Reply #235134 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Any rogue league will be done on a very tight budget so you wouldn't expect too many players to move interstate to play and get paid next to nothing, some will but others will be better off looking for other jobs/income.

This year can't continue as the old NBL as too many clubs were losing too much money.

Reply #235142 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

If there is no NBL, would any national league actually be a "rogue" league? More like rebels without a cause.

SEABL might be about to hot up a bit though.

Stange thing is that WNBL has gone from playing in front of 400 at Wayville to being our premier (only) national league. Bring on the girls!

Sadly, those looking at a new national league or a rogue league may need to look to the WNBL & SEABL salary structures for guidance, and its a long way down.

Reply #235148 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I wonder how the rules surrounding NBL players in SEABL teams would work out given there may no longer be an NBL?

Reply #235150 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754