Vic Country
Years ago

NBL: Idea for "gap" time

Assuming the league wont go ahead for sometime, there must be some thought into how to keep fans interested, players interested, sponsors interested.

How about the BA contract 12 players from each state and form teams to play a Senior National Titles??

Put a bit of effort into it, dress it up 20/20 style, sell the concept, Fox or 1HD would surely be interested. Tap into sponsors already associated with basketball...

Could be held over a week or better still held over 6 weeks with games held on weekends only to suit fan support.

Make sure the games are held in venues where you would sell out, no 5000-10000 seaters, better to be <3000.

State of Origin would stir some interest wouldnt it??

Anyone got any better ideas??

Topic #19850 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Didnt the Soccer have 19 months between the old league and the new A-league? What did they do?

Reply #235100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vic, short of an interim league (teams we know, playing some sort of schedule), I think a set of tournaments might be the next best plan (and something they have already considered).

I think that one issue is that some put-together team (basketball lines at this level are rarely drawn over state divides) might struggle to attract much passion or top talent. Think about how the All Star game in past years has been to watch - other than some show time, who cares who wins? Would you go to an All Star or State of Origin game featuring mid-level players?

Would touring college teams get interest? Or a visiting national B team vs a Boomers B team?

Reply #235111 | Report this post

cant someone pay michael jordan to come out for a few games

Reply #235116 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Go to sleep and wake up when its all over and fixed

Reply #235120 | Report this post

Dangles the Dog  
Years ago

I have been a season ticket holder for 2 seasons before the Power House was built. If they wait too long I will probably loose interest all together. I must admit my interest has been sliding over the last two seasons.

Any move away from the Dome WILL loose me for good as Ii cant see the point in moving to the entertainment ctr when the dome was purpose built for Bball.

The next week is going to be a defining one for Bball in Australia.

Reply #235121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think there could be value in a poll by the 36ers of current membership to determine just how many people would buy membership for an interim season, how many would likely not renew in the near future if the league took a year off, etc.

Reply #235124 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I dont get the thought that if its not there next year people wont turn up ever again? Why exactly? I go to the game as I enjoy it, its exciting, its entertaining and a great night out. All these things will still be true if the legue reforms in a year and are all reasons why I will want to go again.
If I say 'stuff it youve annoyed me by delaying a year so I wont go' then Im the one missing out on something I enjoy.

If the product is good people will come.

Dangles the Dog - why would you not go to a venue other than the Dome to see a game? Sure the Dome is purpose built for BBall but so what? Adelaide oval was purpose built for sport but Ive seen concerts there that were pretty good.

Again if the on court product is good - people will come no matter where the court is installed (yes within reason)

Reply #235133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, I think the real risk is season memberships. At the 36ers, it's dropped from 4k or more to around 2500 over the years and I think it'd be lower at many other clubs.

That membership is a base, banked money that can be built on with multi-game packages and walk-up tickets on game nights. With it, you know you've got at least x in the budget, and y coming to a particular game.

When you have a consistent request to renew, and you have members ticking that "let's go around again" box, your chances are fairly good. As soon as you lose that, it's possible that a reasonable number of people might think "well, the train's stopped - seems like a good place to get off". Brett Maher retiring will have already provided a stop for those people who thought "not loving it as much as usual, but will keep going until Brett finishes."

And then it will be that much harder to get them back on for a full membership again rather than picking and choosing games, that is if they can even afford it or justify it in a budget that's possibly swollen to fill the space previously taken by their team.

With an interim league, I'd bet there will be a lot of members who say "Brett's gone, this league will be budget, I'm sitting it out and will just check the site/paper for results." They do the same if there was just a 12-15 month gap.

But others might be retained if there is at least something to keep them involved.

I like watching ABL games, the price is right and the schedule isn't awful, but I haven't been to a game this season. Fell out of the habit and there's nothing like a season membership to keep me going. For others, the NBL might be the same.

Reply #235139 | Report this post

Manning  
Years ago

What about BA placing less restrictions on team entry for a shorter "Summer League" as a warm up to the new Elite league?

This way players & other staff retain their incomes & we may be able to retain clubs in all major cities with each organisation positioned to have organic financial growth with reserves for the new comp in Winter 2010.

This also gives BA enough time & growing resources to get their S#$% sorted out.

With smart marketing & full support from all organisations from the grass roots up throughout this amazing country of ours that want to see our game flourish, no one has to go without including the fans, sponsors, players, coaches & our kids.

Reply #235159 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm confused by this post. From 2009? But not?

Reply #826776 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The topic refers back to when BA were running the league poorly. Many wanted an A-League style one season break to refresh.

Somebody was obviously extremely bored and decided to shadow bump this thread with an empty post (which was later deleted by the mods). Even after the post deletion the thread remains as current on the timeline. What a sad individual.

Reply #826799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ lol.

Reply #826802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754