Annex1
Years ago

Sengstock to announce NBL cancelled

That will be the press conference today - the announcement the NBL is closing down for a year to get its house in order before a move back to winter and a relaunch of a comp that will be a June/July - December timeframe.

Not a real surprise given the events of the past month. Vale NBL.

Topic #19851 | Report this topic

kcgone  
Years ago

I can see the "anti" press release from Larry the lizzard.

"Due to lack of BAlls the NBL will not be played this coming season 2009/10.

It is unfortunate but given the following circumstances-

we can't -
manage organisations(even ourselves)
find naming right sponsors
sign give away TV rights
agree to disagree and move on for the better of all
understand our model is flawed
make decisions and stick to them
accept BA was part of the problem in the first place

etc
etc
"

Reply #235119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like the remaining teams will still organise a competition starting in October anyway. Something like:

Perth
Townsville
Cairns
Wollongong
Adelaide
New Zealand
Gold Coast
Brisbane Spartans perhaps

Boti has more here.

Reply #235123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey at Adelaide lol, gotta say Schenscher and Anstey together would really be something

Reply #235126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

10 3PA from one, 10 ORPG from the other.

Reply #235127 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It would just be sweet justice if Cowan and McPeak found themselves on the outer with no way of getting their foot back in the door. In no particular order, pride, arrogance and incompetence has been the downfall of basketball in this country.

Reply #235129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say teams from SEABL will fill the gaps. Brisbane Spartans, Kilsyth, Geelong maybe? I'd love to see a Mid-north QBL team like Makay or Bundaburg. The AIS would be interesting too.

Reply #235144 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Do you think the rest of Adelaide (besides all the basketball-heads) will get behind a team in an interim league that doesn't even feature any Melbourne teams? Apart from the immediate plight/employment status of players, coaches and other staff (which is a huge factor of course, and I feel for them), I just don't really see much support forthcoming from the general public. Or is that not the point of an interim league (garnering support), would it more be just to keep things ticking over?

Reply #235149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Price it right, keep decent players involved, and a team like Adelaide could keep a crowd of 3k which is enough for some atmosphere - maybe.

Reply #235152 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

I would be there, no doubt about it.

Reply #235155 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Me too squid, but I'm assuming that seeing as you're posting on hoops.com.au, then you're a basketball-head. :) I'm talking about Joe and Joella Random Adelaide people, who like sport, go along to a few footy games a year, have been to the Sixers on the odd occasion but have no particular love for basketball - I can't see an interim league with no Tigers/Dragons/Kings/Goorjian getting their bums on the seats at Findon. They're a crucial part of the number that make up the difference between a 2.5k-3k crowd and a 6k+ crowd.

Just sayin'.

Reply #235158 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Id go watch the 36ers play in a interim league for sure. sure we may lose Schenscher and i guess possibly Bruce and Holmes but i think the rest would be back and at worst we upgrade Burdon and Hoban into the 10 and get cheap imports like the SEABL do to help fill the gaps, remember there have been a number of diamonds in the rough been discovered through this path eg redhage. Would still be the best league in Australia and something is always better than nothing for the basketball fans around australia.

Reading the article about Ninnis calling anstey sounded interesting, what a great recruit that would be, if we lose shchenscher we have a great replacement or we could have him play say 30mpg off the bench backin up schensch ans balls, if he is happy to accept that kind of role id be happy for him to live in melbourne and just come accross for a training or 2 a week and the games, assuming he trains himself also.

That got me thinking, and im sure every club would be trying this, but imagine if the 36ers were able to pick the pieces of the tigers and dragons
Id replace Maher with Barlow or Ingles, Replace Grizzard with Donta Smith and Cooper and Winitana with Anstey and put kersten into the 10. That wouldnt be far off points cap wise i dont think, sure its a pipe dream but imagine the quality team we would have if that happened!

Given there will be less teams, if they run with 7, every team will be slightly more stocked in theory so we could end up having a better stronger, more financially viable 7 team league than last seasons league, if players who stick around accept a pay cut to fit at a reduced cap, i think most will as many wouldnt get gigs in the decent eruo leagues anyway, and with the tigers and dragons no longer sending everyone broke by trying to compete with there stacked rosters i think them being out could end up being good for the league and help it become more financially stable and salaries of players/coaches more realistic of what clubs can afford, and possibly even turn a small profit, making it more attractive to investors, as they wont be just losing stacks of $$ each year.

I really and think we could end up with a more stronger/vibrant competition at a smaller budget so its more financially viable than last season, adding a few SEABL say 3-5 teams from nsw/vic/tas/act would be a good way to attract some interest and enthusiasm in new areas and give some more players a chance to have a crack, which is always exciting i think!

And to be honest i wont really miss watchin goorjs teams play and some of the big time players, the worthingtons etc are more replacable than they realise, its not like the league would collapse when they retire, and could find themselves on the outer if they dont successfully get and retain a gig in europe and keep demanding huge $$$ and bagging the governing body, they would have to take the cut like evryone else and play or go get another job as no player/coach/gm/owner/team is bigger than the game, i think all those things will come and go but the game of basketball should and will always live on!

Reply #235160 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I would like the club if still in the league to go for a team with no imports (Ballinger will be "Australian" soon) and look at players from perhaps the 2 Melbourne teams. Have an all Aussie team and definitely approach players like Ingles who is from this state. Would definitely help our unemployment rate!!! ;)
We could maybe then get some government funding!

Reply #235164 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Part of what I posted in another thread below - follows on in a way to what your saying jonno

"If this was the case Id say the Blaze for example would lose Harvey and the imports, the rest of the team would probbaly be able to be kept together. Sure the overall quality will drop off somewhat but we need a solid base to start at and build on. Id be happy to go and watch some young up and coming players (Demos, Vanderjaagt) paired with some savvy veterans (Mcgregor, Melmeth, Mick Hill) running around for the Blaze.
They would probably play with more passion than some of the more well paid 'superstars' we have seen of recent times!"

Even if we do lose the high end players it still leaves a hell of a lot of guys who cant go to Europe or elsewhere to get an income who can more than hold their own on a bball court. Keep it low cost and keep it short as a lead in to whatever BA proposses for the next 'real' season!

Reply #235167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hereschenes, I don't know that much of the average NBL crowd is made up of those "try out a couple of sports" people. Non-basketball people IMO are usually there as corporates or guests of other fans.

The challenge is to build up the season membership base, and to bring in the fans that are out there, but mostly follow the team via Boti's column, the web, or TV. There are thousands of those - the Dome can fill up easily (Maher's last game or when word of Hodge spread) if enough of them find a reason to make the effort.

Reply #235177 | Report this post

Fox sports claims its a 7 team league and it will go ahead, however i just heard larry the lizard on abc NSW radio and he said taking a year off was an option. The guy asking the questions was trying to get him to admit that no teams in syd, melb or brissy was an indication that reform hadnt really worked, however sengstock basically blamed this on the world financial crisis.

Whilst that may have something to do with it, you can't say the late reform of lack of reform didnt have something to do with it.

I love it how sports commentators not normally passionate about basketball are asking the tough questions but BA comes back with what sounds like a sense of indifference.

Reply #235181 | Report this post

Fox sports claims its a 7 team league and it will go ahead, however i just heard larry the lizard on abc NSW radio and he said taking a year off was an option. The guy asking the questions was trying to get him to admit that no teams in syd, melb or brissy was an indication that reform hadnt really worked, however sengstock basically blamed this on the world financial crisis.

Whilst that may have something to do with it, you can't say the late reform of lack of reform didnt have something to do with it.

I love it how sports commentators not normally passionate about basketball are asking the tough questions but BA comes back with what sounds like a sense of indifference.

Reply #235183 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I guess you're right Isaac... it's more about getting the basketball community that's already out there to turn up.

Anyway, I guess the title of this thread has become somewhat of a misnomer!

Reply #235198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the OP is feeling pretty stupid after that post.

Reply #235219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most of the Australian media are in that same position. Did many more than Boti actually call it right?

Reply #235243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was hardly some sort of outstanding prediction to think the NBL was going to carry on. The media love whipping up a bit of panic with bad news stories which says far more about the state of the MSM.

Reply #235267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754