nickyg
Years ago

NBL should change seasons

In my opinion this is what needs to happen...

Have a short season right now (similar to the one they had before launching the summer league in - 97? help me with the year). Let the dragons & tigers cool off & let BA not be rushed. Run this season from Oct til early Feb.

Start the new season in late june til mid January. ( the last playoff game to be a couple of weeks after New Years). Let BA with Larry set some achievable ground rules.

The big picture is the new NBL starts in about 12 months but there is a short season to keep fans sponsors etc happy & excited. The new season kicks off in the middle of the footy seasons & finishes in the cricket season. There are positives in that. The biggest problem of the current summer season is that the finals are played during the footy pre season cup. Something different needs to be tried.

The Dragons are disoriented with nothing new happening. Change the season, give every one time to view their thoughts & run a short season in between.

Larry made a wonderful quote saying 'the tigers & dragons are not a certainty to re-enter the league'. I love this attitude! Lets stick with him & give him a go. If he won't be held ransom & he has time to fix this thing - GO LARRY!!

The cowboys have met their match. If you dont like it f$%#^& OFF as we'll get it done without you.

I'm impressed so far....

Topic #19862 | Report this topic

HAYDEN  
Years ago

Got to love these anti- Melbourne posts. Yeah we are defitely the bad guys for wanting what all of you have complained for in the past. Put away these stupid rants about the Dragons and Tigers and realise that they did this as they wanted to ensure the League has more than one game telecasted on tv. Preferably all games on ONEHD. Something everyone has wanted. EXPOSURE.

They also wanted the League to have a major sponsor, which they didnt have and are yet to have. They also didnt have the relevant things in place to market the league in the correct way, and finally it looks like a mockery as we can hardly claim that it would have been a reformed league as
1. They couldnt think of a better name, so it might of stayed the same
2. Same teams as last year.
3. no new teams.
4. Same venues.
5. Same or worse tv rights.
6. No plan ofr badly needed adveetising.
ect.

The Dragons and Tigers did the right thing, as so did the Sydney parties interested and Brisbane as they wanted more time and a better plan as Larry outlined On SEN today.

You guys can all of a sudden bag us as much as you like and you can have your stupid interim season, but then dont complain if the clubs are loses heaps of money, players leave as money is not enough, and you dont hear about the league in the media.

Reply #235343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some clubs love Australian basketball and its heritage more than money.

Reply #235348 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ wasn't logged in.

Reply #235349 | Report this post

dark dirk  
Years ago

Firstly its great to see someone also thinks the season needs to be changed, imo this is when the NBL went backwards, saying that making a summer season there was no AFL or NRL to compete with, and there is more chance of FTA tv, if i had a choice to see a sporting event that i can take my kids to damn if i'd be sitting in a cold enviroment.
Winter was when basketball was in its peak, lets get it back there and get it back to a 14 team league

Reply #235352 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hayden, are the Tigers doing the right thing when they deny the Dragons the chance to play at a more cost-effective venue, rather than need 6000 fans at HiSense just to break even?

If they had the two Melbourne teams in, there's no guarantee that the TV deal would be any good (people were saying it was one game/week and $200k/yr even with the Melbourne sides) or that they'd get a naming rights sponsor.

Reply #235354 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

It's not about a quick fix Hayden. It's about building it & getting it right!

I'm a Melbourne boy so that argument won't work for you either.

Give the crew some time & your 6 points above can come to light. They are all valid. Rome wasn't built ....

To be held at knife point in business - don't surrender!!

The 'stupid' interim season lets every one save face, employs pro players & keeps sponsors luke warm. It also will build momentum as the Melb power houses will put their pieces of the puzzle back together. Lets face it , everyone is 2 stubborn to back track now so lets look to the future.

Sydney & brissy can explore their options as well as Canberra, Hobart etc etc. Imagine everyone back.

Slowly, slowly.

Don't try & walk b4 you can run!

Reply #235355 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Hayden you choose to see Vic clubs that abandoned you as the hero and the rest of us as the enemy- sorry to hear that.
Your analysis is wrong.
The deals started slipping when interested entities got cold feet about how much politics was still deciding the progress of this sport- it whinged about an old model, feedback not getting listened to, then had a review then voted in reform and then?
WHINGED, FOUGHT, BITCHED, UNDERCUT, MANIPULATED AND LIED.
Please go be gullibe and one-eyed somewhere else.
Oh, and please don't speak on behalf of Brisbane- I think it's ok to see I know more about what went on there from the day of their fanfare relaunch to today and they spent more time and energy not following up on things, making excuses and that's about it.
Do not include my beloved Brisbane in your baseless generalisation, because BQ failed to get an outcome that others did and left several stones unturned, and I sincerely hope another party is successful behind the scenes where it counts, to get that club relaunched, not just talk about it.
Do not talk about Brisbane as though you self-absorbed Vics paid any attention to what was happening there or know what went on.

I have an enormous respect for the talent Vic brings in, but as stated, your clubs put money, ego and control issues ahead of all else- be angry at them who abandoned you, not us.
Besides, all Vic clubs fold and amalgamate sooner or later anyway, so you should be used to this process by now..... they all pop up under some other name sooner or later like it never happened.

Reply #235357 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Btw nicky- very well posted topic :)

Reply #235359 | Report this post

One good thing out of this.......we'll eventually see the return of Bruce Palmer I'm sure. The league need characters and villains, just like the good old days!

Reply #235426 | Report this post

All of a sudden the Vic clubs are the hero's?

Are you for real? Are you on drugs?

What the Vic clubs have done is seen the NBL on its knees and taken the opportunity to go in and bully for a better deal....but it backfired.

So now they have pulled out, thinking that Larry was gonna do a back flip.

The fact is that you Vic's wont have any NBL next season because of your greedy fat cat owners self interest and highly inflated self importance.

The South Dragons were always going to fold anyway, just look at Boy Gorj's history. You may have gotten another season or two at the most out of them before they went broke.

Reply #235482 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

I vote for NBL season to start the day after game 7 of the NBA finals is scheduled and finish in between footy and cricket seasons some time.

Reply #235522 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754