Bizzy
Years ago

Biggest NBA Playoffs Surprise...

With the NBA Playoffs well underway with Cleveland already through the the Eastern Conference finals, what has been your biggest playoff surprise so far.

Is it Big Baby Glen Davis stepping up in the place of the absence of KG?
Is it the Rockets winning an important Game 4 without Yao?
The lack of heart shown by Atlanta while getting swept by the Cavs?
Is it the play of Derrick Rose and the Bulls in the first round? Giving long time Bulls fans the first glimpse of hope since 1998.
Is it the play of the Pistons in the first round? Well only if sucking was a play.
The play of the Nuggets?

For me it is a tie between the Bulls led by the play of Derrick Rose, they took it to a much more experienced Celtics team who you have to ask the question had game 7 been in Chicago would they have won?

Secondly the play of the Nuggets - I personally thought they would implode come the pressure of the playoffs. But to their credit they have held steady and look likely to go on to the WCF.

On a side note, anyone else a fan of the Birdman?

Topic #19867 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

I would be more of a fan of the Birdman if he had stuck with the Hornets! But I know he had a rough time there with personal issues - fair enough to want a fresh start. Good to see him living up to his potential, finally.

Have you watched much of Courtney Lee? He is going to be a great player... so much poise for a young chap. I'd say he's Rip Hamilton-esque, but I think it's just the facemask that makes me say that.

Reply #235406 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I enjoyed the bulls celtics series. appart from the game 7 result.

As for suprises probably the Nugs

Reply #235408 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

What about the play of John Salmons? Had some big games whilst guarding Paul Pierce.

Anyone know why Birdman didn't hit the court yesterday? Boxscore said he didn't log any minutes.

Reply #235411 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

doc I was streaming the game and he suited but went back to the locker room on IV drips as he had food poisoning.

Salmons was a monster and didn't do to bad guarding PP either.

Reply #235412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nuggets, and maybe the winning margins from the Cavs. Obviously Cleveland had the regular season record to show they were decent, but you still can't help but look at their roster and marvel at how comfortable their wins have been.

Reply #235414 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Hindsight is great, but how many people tipped the Mavs to beat the spurs first round?

Nuggs have been terrific. Shows what happens when you add a 'play maker' and subtract a 'shot taker'.

Reply #235417 | Report this post

China  
Years ago

LeBron coming of age, he has always been a beast, but now he has a jump shot (3ball) and is making incredible dagger in the heart shots.

If he can get his free throw shooting into the high 80's / low 90's he will be unstoppable (even more so). How do you stop him? You can't go under screens anymore (which his what teams used to do) because he will hit the three. You can't double or triple him because he is such a great passer.

Reply #235423 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I thought the Nuggets would have a much tougher road to the WCF. Props to Chauncey and Co for getting it done (just gotta stick the final one in against the Mavs to take the series). I was surprised how bad New Orleans played against denver, I thought that was going to be real tight and the bulls/celtics blowouts...how wrong was I. Props 2 Houston for getting it done without Yao ming against LA, would be dope if Houston got through to play denver in the WCF

Reply #235424 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Reply #235425 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Nuggets & the frailty of the Lakers. As a Lakers fan I thought they would be better than they have been in this series.

Reply #235427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont care go Celtics with the massive win in the 5th game!!!!!!!

Reply #235436 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

MASSIVE fan of the Birdman Bizzy

He is the best in the league at what he does, no question about it in my opinion.

I remember hearing something about how ridiculously weird he is though. Like, he actually wants to be a half-bird/half-man. His house is apparently freaky and the tattoes all down his arms represent wings, and his differnet hairstyles are of particular birds that he feels like that day. Weird, weird dude.

And he didn't play yesterday because of a stomach flu.

Reply #235444 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Rose and the Bulls played phenomenally hard and with a lot of poise for such a young team.

Chauncey has finally got Denver playing to its potential. Birdman has been a great revelation for them too.

I can't go past Big Baby though for his play since KG went down. I never thought he had it in him to be so consistent under pressure in the playoffs. I remember watching him trying to develop his mid-range jumper part way through this season. He missed a lot of shots, including a couple that cost the Celtics games and I didn't think he'd ever be great with it under pressure. But I gotta hand it to him, he has turned himself into a clutch shooter. I just hope the Celtics can afford to sign him as their sixth man next year!

And yeah, props to the Celtics for stealing a huge game 5 today. That was the Magic's game to lose, they were on all game, but couldn't make plays when it counted. The Celtics sense of self-belief is just phenomenal, keeping them in games and then allowing them to close out under pressure. Unfknblvbl!!!

Reply #235447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey bean how much did C fans rag on davis as well all though that period and now its a real solid shot. Don't know what they are going to do re Powe/Davis situation. Davis will command good cash now, powe you could get for cheap though.

Reply #235450 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hey anon, are you talking about the Boston Globe message board fans? I recall a debate back and forth about whether Davis or Powe was the better player earlier this season. That was a good debate that ended prematurely because Powe unfortunately did his knee again. Before that it was hard to pick one over the other from my perspective.

I like both guys, firstly because they both work so hard on the court and constantly over-achieve. Secondly, because Davis is just a friendly, articulate guy with the right attitude about the game, and Powe because he is this quiet, humble guy who keeps getting back up when the world knocks him on his @ss.

Davis has played so well since KG went down, I now believe he can be a great sixth man or a good complementary starter for years to come. I now doubt that Powe can match that with yet another knee injury taking its toll, but you can't rule it out because the guy never gives up. I really hope he can rehab it and return to the Celtics for the long term.

Reply #235506 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

LEBRON taking the crown from KB8 as the best player in the game

WHO though is going to challenge him when he turns 26-27 yo as the best player in the L?

Kobe would be 32 or so and no doubt after 15-16 years of pro ball will be indecline

Sometimes NOT having a worthy rival to raise your level to compete with can count against you

Reply #235554 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Kriss, there will be challengers to Lebron. Lets not forget that he hasn't even won one championship yet. He should have a great shot this year, but there is still plenty of ball to be played, and if he makes it to the finals, his opponents aren't going to lay down and die. I think the Lakers have had the wood on the Cavs this year for one thing.

Lebron will be 26 next year and unless KG, Pierce or Allen get injured, you'd better believe the Celtics will be big challengers next season. They could possibly be a threat for one more year after that too, if they all age well!

Kobe will be good enough for at least another 3 years, especially with Gasol and Bynum likely to develop to make up for any decline in #24.

I think there is an argument that there is very little to separate Dwayne Wade and Lebron. Both get to the rim and finish very well, but Wade is a better outside shooter to this point in their careers. Both create for the team-mates pretty well too. Lebron of course has the edge on rebounding.

With the right team mates, Chris Paul will be a big threat for many years. Howard still has some room to grow and could anchor a serious challenger as well.

Derrick Rose looks like he could be very special and lets not forget about Durant, who has every chance of being the league's most prolific scorer for the next decade.

I'm pretty sure some other special player will emerge from college in the next couple of years too - they always do!

Reply #235599 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

Nobody challenges the greatest palyer Kobe that's plain silly. The best moments is Kobe playing through sickness/cold and still scorching the Rockets

Reply #235628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754