starvin marvin
Years ago

BA knocked back Wellington bid

It turns out the Wellington Saints had a go at getting into the league, but BA knocked them back in the hope that a Vic team would get in.

I find it strange that they didn't say they could get into the league and also try for a Vic team. I know BA doesnt have a kiwi team at the top of its priorities list but in the long term 2 NZ clubs would exist - in an ideal world for the rivalry factor.

I may be mistaken but the fact that they went for possibly a 7 team league over an 8 team league with 2 NZ clubs seems another indication of BA being BA.

Topic #19891 | Report this topic

kiddo11  
Years ago

Not to mention the fact Wellington is the Melbourne of NZ, i.e. sports mad. That's the main reason the wellington Phoenix gets average enough crowds and the other a-league team from NZ didnt.

Reply #235770 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Hang on, Wellington Saints were the same team that just before the EOI briefing a few months back, said they had absolutely no way in the world they could afford the bank guarantee, so much so that they cancelled plans to even attend the EOI briefing in Sydney.
They still don't have the money now, so what made them think they'd get in by being less compliant than the teams BA have already accepted?
What made them even try?

Reply #235771 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

don't shoot me down here but what about the Tassie Devils making a comeback?

Since they can't get an AFL team maybe Tasmania might support basketball...

Reply #235773 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

I wouldn't hold back on NZ, they would have some cash floating around...they own most of the gold coast real estate...

Reply #235774 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

I wouldnt shoot that down Kriss.

Hobart, Canberra, Bris , Sydney, Melb, Newcastle & even NT need to be re-introduced at some stage.

Imagine that!!

Get the model right & slowly build it.....

Reply #235775 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

This is the quote from foxsports:

"A hopeful, left-field bid from New Zealand club Wellington Saints also evaporated on Wednesday.

The club had expressed interest in being part of the competition but their approach was declined in favour of a possible Melbourne side".

It doesn't give much away and I apologise if i read too much into it.

Reply #235778 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

i think what BA are looking at is getting the base model right, then working on expansion from there...2 NZ teams right away would not be seen as best......specially when we need a eastern state capital city involved...

Reply #235782 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

We don't have the depth to have 2 teams out of NZ. A Wellington team would basically just make up the numbers although with both Melbourne teams dissapearing there are now alot of top quality players floating around without a club to play for but you would always hope that the backbone of the team would be made up of local players.

Reply #235792 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I will shoot you down Kriss. If Sydney and Melbourne cant see the value or cant find the money how are Canberra and Hobart going to? Canberra have struggled since the AIS graduates started going to College instead of staying in Canberra and playing NBL. Plus they had some very good imports over the years. I went to Hobart to watch the 36's play Melb in a game a couple of years ago and the atmosphere was terrible. I also don't know where they would find a business or businessman with enough money.

Reply #235797 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Paul would you go and see a Dragons Vs Taipans game played in Adelaide for example? What atmosphere would that get at the dome?
Growing up, when the Tassie team was slightly competitve, with Stiff and Donald Whiteside (i think), that atmosphere came across as awesome on tv. Tassie fans must be so frustrated they have no sport to truly get behind, i reckon in this era, theyd be geting along to the games! nd if a Sheikh wants to poor money into a Tassie A-league team, it could just be possible that a NBL team isnt to far away.

Reply #235859 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Wellington Saints are a very strong franchise..Great crowd averages in the NZBL 2,500 around that mark, which is exceptional for the NZNBL, surely they could attract a few more for a NBL Game.

Reply #235992 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754