DJ Rod
Years ago

NBL clubs linked to Asian League?

Anyone heard of NBL clubs being linked to an Asian League???

Someone has suggested to me that Perth, South & Melbourne will be playing in an Asian League, snubbing their noses at BA and the new NBL.

Topic #19914 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

Not gonna happen.

Reply #236018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well an article during the week did say that Mark Cowan was overseas, so you never know.

Of course, it could have been a holiday for all we know. Oh, an owner wouldn't go on a holiday during a time of crisis, would they?

Reply #236021 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

LOL I guess he'll be back in around 5 weeks then?

Reply #236023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are we to specualte when he'll be back?

It's his money and his team!

Reply #236024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was "speculate" btw

Reply #236025 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Brian's got great contacts and respect now in China...

Reply #236026 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

specualte/speculate/accoument/announcement it's all the same...

Reply #236028 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

Perth out of new league, you'd think theyd do something

Reply #236048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could we see these teams playing in the ASEAN Basketball League?

It was launched in January yet I can't find any announcements regarding which teams have been included.

Maybe they're having trouble getting enough applicants in will open their arms to a few Aussie teams?

http://linky.com.au/2w2xl

Reply #236054 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HAHA - why not? Not saying it will happen, but I'd be interested to hear why you think it wouldn't.

The ASEAN league has strong backing.

Reply #236069 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Thats right Isaac, they do, our clubs don't...

getting the team over there might be a killer...specially when they will be travelling alot of the time...flights will be most of the budget..like now, but at a more expensive cost..

Reply #236071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's pretty cheap to get to Asia from Perth and Melbourne right now.

And some of these teams have always been pretty eager to get into Asia. They want TV, sponsors, etc - guess who has it? And if the ASEAN competition is sanctioned by FIBA, there's another problem solved.

Reply #236073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would play in these teams from Australia?

BA would make you an outcast if they didn't formally sanction you.

Reply #236074 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Part of what I was going to say also is the cost- look at the Slingers etc- they had to have Gov't funding to spend pretty much every game of their schedule playing overseas- the wear and tear on the players in addition to funding the costs in a recession just don't add up to me.
Also despite JR's analysis that most players would jump at the chance for a rogue league or to play close to home if possible, I think the backlash of where it would leave players after the teething year of the NBL this season wouldn't be worth it.
It is a large expense to go to for one season when all have baulked at the bank guarantee, I can see them forking out a considerable amount of coin for an Asian League that isn't really going to get our clubs where they want to be in the longrun.
I could be completely wrong but I just don't see them justifying the expense if they were to sit down and work it out.

Reply #236075 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

same as Isaac, I think it can happen. as mentioned teams in such league has strong backing, due to sponsorships etc. and this is due to the TV exposure in Asia. With this an Aussie team can expect the same deal in sponsorships. And finally get local Asians in Australia involved (who in some ways are much more enthusiastic about basketball than Aussies). Teams like Dragons are financially deep so don't think it'll be too much a problem for them; especially with better sponsorship deals (not just from Australia).

Reply #236076 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wear and tear on players - any worse than the Breakers flying to Perth now?

I don't think it's all that likely, but I wouldn't be ruling it out as strongly as you were either. These clubs have been talking about it for years.

Reply #236077 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

You won't see ex-NBL clubs joining the ASEAN League, because the organisers want to hold firm on the ASEAN aspect. There was interest from an Australian group (with no links to the NBL), but they were knocked back.

Reply #236097 | Report this post

Pipe Dream  
Years ago

I am sure that if these tightwads cant come up with 1 million plus to play NBL, there is no way they are going to come up with more than that to play overseas.

This is just these bunch of Jackasses that thought they could bully the NBL when it was down on its knees, talking themselves up. For an Aussie team to have any chance it would first, have to have bucket loads more cash than they currently have & second, have some sort of TV deal that beams their away games to their fans in Oz.

No ex NBL team is going to play in Asia because none of the tightwads has pockets that deep.

These "former" NBL clubs should just keep smoking what ever it is they all seem to be on.

Reply #236107 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pipe, many can afford the $1m, just wanted to avoid it.

Dave, thanks - that's great info.

Reply #236113 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Also a problem would be that although its a sanctioned FIBA league, FIBA would have to agree to the Australian clubs moving to the ASEAN league. I couldnt see them allowing that when they have (maybe) there own national league to compete in.

Reply #236133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How would they stop Jack Bendat creating a new entity, the Perth Quokkas, grabbing staff and players and giving it a crack?

Reply #236134 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, do you mean that after 1 year, if the Perth Quokkas no longer wanted to participate in the ASEAN league they would come back to Australia and apply to participate in the NBL as the Perth Wildcats again. Same team, same owner, same coach, same everything except the name.

Reply #236236 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

sorry spelling - ASIAN

Reply #236237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, it's the "ASEAN" league - Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Not suggesting that the same team came back as the Cats - maybe the Cats were shelved until required later. Just saying that there might be ways around the concept of Australian teams "moving" in that they could be "created" for that league instead. Who knows.

That said, take note of Dave Marshall's post above. Dave can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember something about a David Marshall being involved with the Slingers.

Reply #236241 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

Yeah, that's me. I had to re-register at Ozhoops as Dave (long story).

Anyhow, from FIBA's perspective I doubt there would be any difference between relocating a team to a different zone versus starting a new team - because the Slingers used the existing Hunter/Canberra license when they started in the NBL, it was a little of both. However, FIBA are generally not in favour of leagues stretching across the geographic zones - it's a similar case with Wellington in the A-League. What happens if they qualify for the ACL when they're an Oceanic club?

It wasn't a straightforward process to get FIBA approval for the Slingers in the NBL, and I would imagine a "rogue Asian league" involving Melbourne/South/Perth would have even more trouble getting the nod. Unless it was sufficiently rogue to bypass FIBA altogether, but that would be opening a whole other can of worms. For the record, I haven't heard anything which suggests that any of the above clubs are looking at Asia as a serious option.

Reply #236252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention the fact that if this was done against the wants of Basketball Australia, any player who played for a club in this competition would be unable to represent Australia at any level.

Reply #236258 | Report this post

The ASEAN basketball league looks like it is coming together and certainly there is no news of Australian teams joining .

So far a club from Indonesia has been named publicly in addition to the Singapore Slingers plus clubs from Thailand, Malaysia and several from Phillipines are said to be ready to sign on .

Reply #236291 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Defence, that's interesting news about the ASEAN league starting to come together.

I'm one that thinks it would be great for Australian/ NZ clubs to compete with Asian clubs. It would create a lot of interest, and could generate good sponsorship and tv coverage if done right.

However, I also think expanding the NBL to include several Asian teams is probably too unwieldy and certainly very unrealistic with money problems in the short term. (And I don't like the idea of rogue clubs going to Asia either, because it isn't constructive for an Aussie league in the long run)

Therefore, if this ASEAN league comes together, I think there is a very exciting opportunity emerging for the two leagues to play an end of season tournament. This could be a top 4 v top 4 scenario, or even a seeded knockout tournament like the NCAA has (this might mean 8 teams from each league, for a 'sweet 16' starting round).

By playing a tournament, you cut down on travel costs and (assuming you get tv to commit) very intense tv coverage for a couple of weeks. Hopefully with all that coverage, you could put up a big prize pool, and this would help all clubs to improve their operations the next year.

I really hope the ASEAN league comes together and that someone at BA/ NBL headquarters is giving some serious thought to something like this. It's the kind of thing that I think could get Aussies interested in basketball again!

Reply #236357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754