DB5
Years ago

Corletto to play for UK!

Found this on Gaze.com (i know, i know. Very informative site lol).

Daryl Corletto is going over to the UK to play 'ball. Now this would not be that interesting usually, until I read this.

"But firstly Corletto, along with NBA superstars Ben Gordon and Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls, plus Steve Leven (who spent the 2006/07 pre-season with the Perth Wildcats) will spend three weeks in August trying out as part of England's 18-man squad for the 2012 Olympic games.

"I'm in the process of finding a team," said Corletto, "I've been put in the (English) national squad and that comes first." "

What a career move! He never would have made our National team. Also Steve Leven? Wow..

more here
http://www.gaze.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1633&Itemid=7

Topic #19921 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

as a host dont they get an auto entry into the tournament as well?

Reply #236141 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - they will be playing in London 2012.

Reply #236143 | Report this post

bulls4eva  
Years ago

did you get tto that website accidentally when you meant to be looking for www.gays.com? ;-) hehe

Reply #236144 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Now that's funny

Reply #236147 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol, oldie but a goodie b4eva.

Surely the competition for spots would not be that hard..Deng and Gordan are ring ins ala Chris Kaman at Beijing. Any other Pommy 'ballers you can think of?

Reply #236157 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

who was tha queer pom who played in the NBA?

Reply #236159 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ameachi? (sp?)

Reply #236161 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I think you will find that the Men and the women from England must qualify for the olympics in London as FIBA are worried they are not good enough for olympic competition.

Reply #236162 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Joel Freeland was drafted by the Blazers a few seasons back, apart from him I dont think they have any other ballers of note

Reply #236190 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

Ameachi speaks very well, too well for an average NBA player. He sounds like he should be a speech therapist and speech writer. That scottish guy archibald played at memphis until a few years ago, then there's pops Mensah-Bonsu at toronto i think, luol deng, michael olowakandi (dunno what hes doin now), azubuke at GSW and ben gordon - man this team is better than the boomers at full strength.

Reply #236202 | Report this post

bulls4eva  
Years ago

wasnt there also one named Robert Archibald?

or something like that?

Reply #236221 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The poms could put together a nice starting 5.

Deng
Gordon
Azubuike
Mensah-Bonsu
Olowokandi

Bench:
Freeland
Andrew Betts (2nd rounder in the 98 draft)
Archibald

Reply #236224 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Deng and Gordan are ring ins ala Chris Kaman at Beijing
I disagree. Kaman was a ring-in, he qualified to play for Germany because he has German grandparents but has no genuine ties to Germany. But Gordon was born in England, although he grew up in America. Deng is Sudanese by birth, but moved to England at a young age when his family fled Sudan's civil war, and he has already played for England at junior level and for the national team when they qualified for promotion to Eurobasket Division A; if they had remained in Division B, they wouldn't be allowed to compete at the Olympics. Azubuike is also English-born, so all three have genuine ties to England.

Reply #236229 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

Yeh azabuke and gordon were born there but theoretically have few ties, Gordon's mum is jamaican, not english. Dominique Wilkins was born in France, you don't hear him being considered one of the great french players. Ben Gordon would go to london 2012 as a publicity stunt more than anything IMO.

Sorry for bein so cynical.

Reply #236239 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Have to agree with Marvin there, and didn't Dominique play for the US, same as Olajuwon and Ewing. All players that grew up in the States, and then naturalized.

Anyway, that is getting off topic. TR, you named that 5 and a couple of benchies, have you seen this team play at all?

And will Corletto even make it?

Reply #236269 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

PG 5 UK ÿ Midgley, Richard - ÿ6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)  Everton Tigers

F 6 UK ÿ George, Nick - ÿ6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)  BCM Gravelines

ÿF 7 UK ÿ Mensah-Bonsu, Pops - ÿ6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)  Toronto Raptors

SF 8 UK ÿ Sullivan, Andrew (C) - ÿ6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)  CSK VVS Samara
ÿ
SF 9 UK ÿ Deng, Luol - ÿ6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)  Chicago Bulls

F 10 UK ÿ Larkal, Dzarflo - ÿ6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)  CB L'Hospitalet

ÿF 11 UK ÿ Freeland, Joel - ÿ6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)  CB Gran Canaria

PG 12 UK ÿ Reinking, Nate - ÿ6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)  Dexia Mons-Hainaut

F 13 UK ÿ Leven, Steven - ÿ6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)  Free Agent

G 14 UK ÿ Boyd, Flinder - ÿ5 ft 11 in (1.8 m)  CB Rosalía de Castro

ÿPF 15 UK ÿ Boateng, Eric - ÿ6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)  Arizona State Sun Devils

PF -- UK ÿ Achara, Kieron - ÿ6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)  Fortitudo Bologna

C -- UK ÿ Betts, Andrew - ÿ7 ft 1 in (2.16 m)  Aris BC

ÿC -- UK ÿ Archibald, Robert - ÿ6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)  Unicaja Malaga

G -- UK ÿ Gordon, Ben - ÿ6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)  Chicago Bulls

This is the lineup for 2012 on wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_national_basketball_team

Reply #236271 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nah DB, just throwing some names into the wind. They could totally suck as a squad.

Reply #236275 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol.

I could see the look on the Boomers face if they had to play the UK and Corletto and Leven walked out for the Poms.

Is Olowokandi still alive?

Reply #236277 | Report this post

Hahahaha

Steven Leven

Reply #236314 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:08 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754