Bizzy
Years ago

Ex-NBA - Brian Grant has Parkinson's

PORTLAND, Ore. -- With a huge black-and-white painting of Bob Marley peering over one shoulder and a half-dozen framed NBA jerseys visible over the other, Brian Grant took a deep breath, ignored his left hand shaking as if it were trying to put out a match, and let go of the secret that had tormented him for the last four months.

"I have young onset Parkinson's," he said.

That's Parkinson's, as in the disease that disrupts the brain's coordination and control of muscle movement and motor skills. A progressive disease for which the cause and the cure are unknown. A disease so rare for someone like Grant, 37, to contract that his case is identified as "young onset."

What a shame, I always like to watch this guy play, was always tough and didn't take a step back.

Topic #19931 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Bugga. Liked him as a player.
I hope his 'Rasta' side didn't contribute....

Reply #236288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I liked him as a player, a great harder worker and cleaned up the boards well. Also very active in the community.

This is a shame and too young. May he be strong and may we find a cure one day.

Reply #236289 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Tragic news for someone who was one of the general nice guys of the NBA who didn't let his ego get away from him

good luck Brian with coping...I hope one day they find a cure for this terrible condition

Reply #236303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very sad news, a genuine nba big man who wasnt flashy but made a living out rebounding and working hard. Hope his condition doesn't worsen

Reply #236311 | Report this post

Years ago

As Quagmire alluded to, I hope his extra-curricular activities didn't play any part in this. He used to be my favourite player when he was at his peak.

Reply #236365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:35 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754