Bob Knight
Years ago

Shaq to Miami

Miami acquired Shaquille O'Neal from the Lakers on Wednesday for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant and a future first-round draft pick.

Who got the better deal?

Topic #200 | Report this topic

The Baron  
Years ago

Miami have won hands down. Think of what Shaq will do to them next year. Brian Grant and Slava will get big pissed off aristotle wanting to caome into their house and prove the Laker Management wrong. If he uses the trade as reason to get into sape in the off-season look out.

Reply #1365 | Report this post

Ditto  
Years ago

Are you insane?

How long do you reckon Shaq will last?

Give up three starters and a future first rounder for a player who will last what 3 years tops?

Lakers added some great youth and talent and definately won on that deal!

Reply #1366 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, Shaq's a single point of failure: one injury and you've given up 3-4 players (3 of whom are "name" players) for nothing.

Conversely, the Lakers were giving up one of the hugest names in sport and Shaq would've been a massive marketing asset. Kobe is routinely criticised for a variety of reasons, but he'd put more bums on seats than Devean George. If they lose him too, watch branded clothing sales drop.

It was a big risk for Miami, but I don't know if it will pay off.

Reply #1367 | Report this post

Ditto  
Years ago

Kobe will last a lot longer in the League then Shaq.

Assuming all goes well with the court case.

The Lakers have set themselves up not only for now but long term. Miami will get a lot of media attention NOW and maybe some extra wins, but Shaq will get injured as he has done every year and Miami will have ONE player without him to go to. I really don't understand why Miami would include Butler in the trade other then it was the only way the Lakers would go along with it.

Reply #1368 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It might only be short term for Miama but think of Ticket Sales, Merchandise, extra publicity etc etc.

And hey Malone and Payton wanted to play alongside Shaq & Kobe to win a ring so who knows maybe Miami will now benefit with some kind of pulling power.

How dominant will Shaq be in the East, what big's are in the East?!!!

I think it has faired well for both teams, Lakers came out a little better.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #1377 | Report this post

Da Houndawg #55  
Years ago

Shaq WILL last longer than 3 years.

He may not play 82 games in all of those years.

In fact I'll doubt if he'll play 82 ever.

Biggest thing is Miami gave up so much, except money.

Shaq and Jones take up to much space to sign any players to complement Shaq.

Shaq
Haslem
Rasual Butler/Eddie Jones
Eddie Jones/Dwyane Wade
Dwyane Wade/???

Malik Allen is OK as well, but there's nothing around Shaq.

Reply #1383 | Report this post

The Real Baron  
Years ago

I dont see a clear cut winner hear as Shaq will most likly opt out of his contract and move to Dallas where he belongs.

and The Lakers got 1 Small Forward and 1 Pretend Power Forward and 1 Pretend Center I dont think they can hang with the Powerful PF and C's in the West

Reply #1392 | Report this post

Whats up with all these barons?

Reply #1393 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Kobe has announced that he'll be remaining with the Lakers and will sign a new deal with them soon. His contract will be worth more than US$136.4 million over seven years.

Should he have stayed or should he have gone to the Clippers? I think the Clippers deal would have been US$100 million over six years.

Lakers:
PG: ?? (Payton is looking to leave now)
SG: Kobe
SF: Butler
PF: Odom
C: Grant

Clippers:
PG: Livingston (rookie)
SG: Kobe
SF: Maggette
PF: Brand
C: Kaman

Both will have thin benches.

Which is better?

Reply #1403 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Miami wont win the East with only Shaq and Wade. I think they'll finish 3rd in the east behind the Pistons and Pacers.

I think that the Heat would have been better served trying to put a decent Centre around their young core of Wade, Butler and Odom. They didn't need to blow up a team that made the semi finals in the east.

If Shaq gets injured then the Heat are totally stuffed. The Lakers lineup unless they can bring in some big signings are going to get destroyed in the West. Grant and Odom can get away playing undersized for their position in the East but it wont play in the West.

Reply #1442 | Report this post

Da Houndawg #55  
Years ago

Odom doesn't have "a position".

He's versatile and to me I'd consider off the bench if the Lakers sign Dampier.

Dampier
Grant
Butler
Bryant
Payton? Fisher.

Odom
Walton
*Shudder* Medvedenko
Fox

Thing is, Payton can still play.

It's just he doesn't have the shot nor the attitude to play under that system that he saw last year.

I'd try Payton starting again and have bench versatility in Fisher and Odom.

Their bench is starting to look a little small forward heavy though...

Reply #1478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754