Years ago

Defending in-bound passes: refs and rules

can someone tell norwood u14g coach that their guards can not front the receiving pgs and bump or hold them from attempting to get open to receive the inbound pass, making no attempt to deny the inbound pass - only block the player.

When will a ref / head ref get this right...

Art. 36.1.4 Unsportsmanlike foul

In addition to the above situation, the following situation is outlined in the
Interpretation document. When the ball is out-of-bounds for a throw-in and is still in
the hands of the official or is already at the disposal of the thrower-in and at that
moment a defensive player on the court causes contact with a player of the team of
the thrower-in also on the court and the foul is called, this shall be judged as
unsportsmanlike.
This contact is judged as unsportsmanlike because the player is obviously not making
any effort to play the ball and an unsportsmanlike advantage is gained by not
allowing the game clock to restart. An unsportsmanlike foul must be called without a
warning being given.

Topic #20009 | Report this topic

Years ago

when i say front the receiving pg - I mean back to the player throwing the ball in and facing the player trying to get the ball and stepping forward into them.

Reply #237272 | Report this post

Ostrich 78  
Years ago

Never,

It is far too clear amd easy and they will just continue to make it harder for coaches to understand.

Reply #237274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The key wording in the interpretation document is: "...and a foul is called...". Not all contact is a foul and if the referee does not think that a foul is warrented, then it will not be unsportsmanlike.

If you notice, during many out of bounds plays, there is contact by the plyers in court. Do you want an USF called on every play?

Think about it and use some common sense!!

Reply #237275 | Report this post

Ho Chi Mihn  
Years ago

I'd like to see umpires start with the basic block/charge, hand check on the shooter first. Plus the 2 hands on a player is an instant foul, no advantage/ disadvantage AN INSTANT FOUL. Come on ref's u learnt these basics in ur level 0 and level 1 courses.

Reply #237276 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Am I correct in assuming that the game was played at MARS?

Reply #237279 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

I got called for unsportsmanlike foul for hangin on the ring after dunkin on some poor guy in a game once - that's uncalled for !!

Reply #237280 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I don't understand how "unsportsmanlike advantage is gained by not allowing the game clock to restart" is necessarily going to be true. Maybe the defending team is up by 1 with two seconds left and would prefer the clock to run out.

Reply #237283 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The rule is based around teams who are behind fouling on the inbounds play before the clock starts. So the clock doesnt run and they get a chance to get the ball back either after a made free throw or from a missed free throw.

That is the spirit of the rule. A team who are in front generally dont foul the opposition deliberately.

Reply #237284 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Ah, of course. Makes sense. Much better than the old days when defenders used to just grab the passer to concede a T.

Reply #237287 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Teach your players to seal off, or get one of your bigger stronger players to come up and help and hand the ball off to the PG when they get the pass.
or set a screen

play to the refs

Reply #237290 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Skin,
"Play to the refs"
That's the best bit of advice today. If you know what the ref will and won't call play to it. If you have a tall player who gets the rebound and the ref doesn't call the 3 seconds, plant them in the key. If refs don't call reaching fouls, then get the guards to reach in for the hard steal.

Reply #237298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder who Norwood U14G played (and probably beat) last week?

Reply #237310 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I can't see anything in the rule that says the defender cannot have their back to the player throwing the ball in. They are allowed to block the player, but not hold. If they cause contact, and a foul is called it should be an unsportsmanlike foul.

Sounds like someone's daughter is a PG who isn't good under pressure in the back court ...

I presume this rule doesn't apply after a score as the clock is still running, so there is no unsportsmanlike advantage?

Reply #237338 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Correct DaddyO. It only applies in the a stopped clock situation. However, in the last 2 mins of the 4th quarter in FIBA games ( and NBL) the clock stops on made baskets as well.

Reply #237348 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Playtime couldnt even touch the net with a step ladder..

Reply #237379 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

I was at an Eagles/Rockets ABA game year before last and North, I think it was Ezy, was throwing the ball in. The opposition had his back to him, Ezy then bounced the ball off the opposition's back, caught it and scored a basket. Legal I guess, and very clever.

Reply #237400 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Billups just did the same off Kobe for a lay-up, in the playoffs. Obviously legal.

Reply #237417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754