angry_panther
Years ago

Thugs in low grades

I just wanted to know, is there any tribunal, or panel that can assess a player who continually plays overly physical, to the point of being dirty, but is only called for an unsportsmanlike foul every now and then due to fear, bias and blindness by the refs and also this players ability to hide his actions and therefor doesnt get brought to the tribunals attention?

I wont mention names, but there is a player for Woodville division 5's and another one in Norwoods division 5's who both play the C position and every single time we play them or i see them playing another team, there are elbows to the head, punches to the stomach, players getting undercut, basically these guys are their teams hitmen and my teammates dont like playing against them because they dont play actual basketball.

Both guys are very solid players, defensively especially, so i dont see the need to play like this, however they do, and my teammates and I are sick of playing against them because it is always unnecessarily physical which forces us to either get caught in the conflict or back off and not play our normal style and have fun, and i wanted to know if there is someone who can come out and assess their style of play and issue warnings / suspensions for their dangerous style of play?

Topic #20012 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Come on, mention names!

Reply #237305 | Report this post

angry_panther  
Years ago

wont that get me in trouble here?

that said, im sure anyone that has played or watched a division 5 game of either of these 2 teams will know who im talking about

Reply #237307 | Report this post

learn how to use their dirty acts against them.. I remember a player trying to punch me in the nuts but I had spun and he got one of his own mates! another way Ive used at the end of a tite game is saving the ball from going out on sideline instead of slamming it off defenders feet I bounced it off his nose :) it was out of him our ball, and we won the game.. Also remember when someone is posting u up that when they go to fall away and they drop the shoulder.. just step on their toes, that one is funny as fook especially if refs were looking at your arms and body 4 contact and it gets missed. Alos, leg checks galore!! arms up legs out ! hitting cutter, ball handlers , post players you name it! And of course EVERYONE knows the low shirt grab.. Hold your opponent where you want him b the part of his jersey that the ref cant see, when he turns, change hands ! Kevin Garnett openly admits to using these techniques to piss off people and try gain advantage. The number one rule is.. dont start on guys that its obvious would beat you to a pulp!! talking tough on court is one thing.. but I hate to say that 80% of players from district and social are absolute softcock spoonfed bastards who couldnt punch they way outta a wet paper bag, with the other 20% Real blokes who will knock you the fuck out for staring or acting hard. The refs and stadium cant always bail you out from problems that you create thru being a smartarse!! so one hit wonders beware!.. and keep ya god damn mouth shut!!

Reply #237308 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Start a new thread outlining the problem, and make sure you name the players in question. We all enjoy bagging out thugs, mainly because they are all dickheads. Problem solved.

Reply #237309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Angry Panther, no real point in naming anyone. I'd encourage administrators of the league to post their recommendation.

Reply #237316 | Report this post

angry_panther  
Years ago

lol @ shorty, thats sortof our problem, we have the choice to either get involved in giving it back, as stealthily as possible as you suggested or we just play a different style to get through the game

the issue is - that i am certain that one of these 2 guys above fits into the 20% category that you mention above - there have been incidents in the past years where without hesitation upon the slightest hint of being dirty back, the woodville player has been ready to kill so to speak - and he is about 6"6' and 120kgs which none of us would be confident going up against lol

im doing my best to resolve this without getting punched as you can see

Reply #237318 | Report this post

angry_panther  
Years ago

Isaac i agree, thats why i havent said them yet - and wont

are the administrators on this board? if so i am VERY keen on their thoughts

Reply #237319 | Report this post

mmmm  
Years ago

I can see this thread been a "classic"

Reply #237320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ap, try contacting whoever runs the comp and get their thoughts. If it's a matter of needing a certain number of people to speak up for attention to be taken, then you could drum that up here, and without naming the players - more by encouraging people to lodge complaints against those playing thugball instead of basketball.

Presumably, you're paying to play, and if it's ruining your interest in playing, then you have every right to register that with BSA or whoever it may be.

I guess I'd just also appreciate that those running the comp may have limited options in addressing a pretty subjective problem.

Failing everything else, you could always try that lovely and usually-hopeless attempt of an online petition.

Reply #237322 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Try throwing the "duty of care" line at them. The stadium has a duty of care to make sure you aren't at risk of injury and if one or two guys are going beyond physical play to trying to injure someone then the stadium has to take some responsibility.

Reply #237323 | Report this post

angry_warrior  
Years ago

anyone from the panthers cant talk, youve got one of the biggest sh1t stirrers in the whole comp on your team lol

Reply #237326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get every other team to forfeit against them - they will get sick of not playing and may correct things in house. Alternatively work on your game and get promoted to Div 4.

Reply #237337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have your JDO approach the umpire in charge and outline areas of concern clearly to him or her. Have a parent or relative video the game with the intent of producing video evidence of the type of thuggery you are suggesting is occurring. Have your team captain or coach lodge a formal complaint of any incident on the score sheet in the section for reports. Be prepared to give honest unembellished evidence and have it corroborated by team mates.Despite people ridiculing your concerns, many would applaud you and the league would benefit from more accurate reports on thugs being made.

Reply #237371 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

challenge them to a rap battle, the looser leaves the court

Reply #237385 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Hey angry panther your team are not little angels them selfs try having a look at what your players do on court you have a couple of players that do the same thing. Cos i can remember one of your players nearly started a fight because he kissed another player witch was very stupid, but once again the umpire did nothing the player should of been sent off it was lucky i was there to calm our player down.

Reply #237419 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

TC2 that's ridiculous..

Reply #237444 | Report this post

woodville warrior  
Years ago

which ever of you little man syndrome people you may be. If you cant beat me then no point winging about it. Not our fault you got no game

Reply #237477 | Report this post

woodville warrior  
Years ago

Go panthers

Reply #237478 | Report this post

panther_eater  
Years ago

haha as mike rann would say ^^ :-)

which big guy from woodville are you talking about because both are aware of this thread and both are looking forward to the next matchup......

honestly, aside from some physical play that doesnt even warrant a foul, let alone an unsportsmanlike, i dont know what your problem is???? play like a man and quit whinging, I can guarantee that if we asked every team in the competition who has the biggest cheap shot artist playing for them, the answer would be south..

most of their team is cool, one wanker ruins it though

as "anon" said - i remember the "kissing" incident too - IIRC someone did cop a punch over that

Reply #237483 | Report this post

too funny  
Years ago

This thread is hilarious - especially telling someone they have 'no game' when you're playing div.5! haha

Reply #237491 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

lockstock, thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. I'll be sure to use your sound insight in the future to make sure I never make that mistake again.

Care to explain why it is ridiculous?

Reply #237526 | Report this post

just a dude  
Years ago

After playing each team a few times i would have to say that south adelaide have no argument. you have some good blokes on your team, but i agree with the others, you also have some dirty basketballers, and its not just a once off, ive played against them for a while now. Personally if i give a shove, i expect to recieve a shove...thats basketball..we arent playing netball, its apart of the game. so if your argument angry panther, is that you dont enjoy playing a mans game, maybe you should look to switch to netball? And the remark about norwood...ive played them, watched them and spoken to them and they are definatly not a dirty side, they are physical, but fair. It seems that most teams have a grudge against someone at south....hmmm i wonder if anyone can guess who that player is...heres a hint...think elvis...but add peroxide. Dude, if you wanna complain..do it, coz i know AT LEAST 4 teams that will point fingers at your South...which would be a shame coz like i said, 99% of your team are fine! After kissing the guy from magic too, you cant really say much mate! cant wait til next time!!

Reply #237620 | Report this post

Oh too funny...what div do you play man?

Reply #237622 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I reckon the old Div 5 games this week may have a bit of spice to them!

Reply #237637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a person who plays div 5 and knows how a certain player on their team plays, i for one do not agree with 'angry panther'... i personally love the physicality in games... and some of the stuff our team mate does... while it may not be kosher... it still gets the other teams mind off the game, and or psychs the other team up enough to make the game fun... at the end of the game, it doesn't matter who played like a dickhead and what not but the score at the end.. and well done to woodville who cained us on tuesday night.. i enjoyed it, and don't be soft on us.. it will take the fun out of the game

Reply #237640 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

My advice is stick up for yourself, give as good as you get.

If you're looking for a 'sniper option' here's my three picks:

1) When he jumps, stick your foot underneath his before he lands - if he's anything close to 100kgs he'll roll his ankle and likely be out for 6 weeks.

2) When he's up for a rebound, jab him in the rib - I've fractured a handful of people's ribs by doing this - at least 3 weeks out of action for that.

3) If he's next to you competing for a rebound, suggest bringing your elbow down on his nose on the way down. Should bring tears to his eyes.

4) If you're on a fast break and he's protecting his basket, at the very last second (ie.. too late) take a step to the inside, and pick the ball up head-high. You should be able to either break a nose with your elboy or injure him badly (I haven't tried this one, but had it done to me - it put a hole underneath my lip and I neded 4 stiches).

Reply #237642 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

George, they sound like Mobilong rules!

Reply #237651 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I say toughen up. I am very good friends with said Woodville player and he is a soft so and so. LOL.

Seriously though, like the majority of bball players both district and social it is all talk and after the game it is all said and done. Ever heard of white line fever?

I can guarantee you, said Woodville player, would more than likely go out for a beer after the, as long as they win. LOL. Then again, I have heard that some of South's div 5's are a bunch of toss bags and probably deserve all they get.

Keep on punching on and let the refs do their job, if you play like a pussy, you will get treated like a pussy.

Nuff Said.

Reply #237666 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

LMMFAO - which woodville big guy do you mean? im one of them haha

I can honestly say i have NEVER undercut someone in my life - ive been injured that way and if i ever see someone do that to another player, heck even if ony of my teammates did it intentionally, id have to be held back from getting into it

as for the other business - both our big guys play physical, it always starts only as physical play, and sometimes when its going back and forth it can escalate a little but not to the point of anyone getting injured and nothing that people dont shake hands at the end of the game

whoever started this thread must clearly be used to playing netball because personally I believe that 99% of it is just physical basketball which never crosses the line unless provoked. and heck - thats only when i can be bothered running to get back in D which is rarely!

I agree with the post by anonymous 4 posts above - i like it - and the south player is a nob but that just makes the game more fun and winning sweeter and losing suck more - makes the game more interesting - put it this way though - if you dont hit me, im not hitting you - so if you are saying ive punched someone - id like to know what was done first?

just play ball FFS

Reply #237668 | Report this post

angry panther too  
Years ago

i have a feeling that i'm going to get a lot of replies with my post here.. but what the heck..

some may know me as d1ckhead, some may know me as the biggest sh1t stirrer, some may know me as peroxide elvis... either way you pretty much know me.

on the court, i admit... i can be a down right c u next tuesday. but that is just to get into your heads and make for an exciting game. if i didn't do it, you'd be asking if i was feeling ok.. because people have just come to expect it nowadays.

but as much as i do on the court, i don't and will not do anything that 'george' was talking about.. that is extremely dirty play, and like 'SDU' announced.. if someone in my team did something that bad.. i would have words to say about it

now on to the kissing the player.. it was stupd to do.. but at the time it was HILARIOUS. mr magic stepped into my face and was pretty much ready to start stuff and i said, get out of my face, or you will get kissed... so he stepped up even closer.. what was i going to do... not back up my words. if i say something on the court like that, then damn well i'm going to do it.. and now you all know this.

now in reference to being agry panther too, its not cause i'm angry about the physicality on the court, i quite clearly like it, and wouldn't want it to stop.. i'm more angry at the fact that someone from my team would 'have a cry' about the physicality on the court.. please let me know who you are so that i can get someone to sew up your gaping vagina :) hahaha.

just to clear this up also.. off the court, i'm actually not too bad.. and if i saw you out on the town or anything, i would gladly have a beer with ya.

Reply #237682 | Report this post

Zed  
Years ago

That is hilarious - sew up his vagina! LOL!
I play in the team and also coach the team and I love it. I dont know where angry panther is coming from either and if anyone wants to blame peroxide elvis for the way he plays - blame me. If I thought he was going to far it is my job to put a stop to it.

I dont even think that Norwood is a physical side and Woodville do get physical, but not too much.

I would also suggest that if a player has issues and concerns with being injured they should bring it to me to either sort out with refs or the opposing team.

Reply #237718 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

lmao - we play again in the last round of the season out at morphet vale...

i might have to get my fully sik boys and go "chk chk BOOM!"

lol - i thought elvis posted this threat - which panthers player was it then?

Reply #237769 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

for the record, i thought tuesdays game was fun - just the right level of agro to make it interesting but no lines were crossed i thought

which woodville big guy are we talking about too - still tryin to work out which one of us slow big dumb beyatches it is?

Reply #237771 | Report this post

Maybe if u were a bit better u wouldn't be in div 5

Like me i played abl and nothing's dirty there

Reply #237788 | Report this post

SDU  
Years ago

my hero!

Reply #237826 | Report this post

woop woop  
Years ago

bugger i reffed the game last tuesday with south vs woddville n just read this a week later. i would advise u be4 the game to ask the referee to watch the certian player. be nice wen u ask the official tho.

Reply #238168 | Report this post

angry_panther  
Years ago

i was talking about the guy from norwood with the shorts that look like footy shorts and the guy from woodville with the big tattoo on his leg

sew up my vagina? wtf??

anyways, ill just have to bring it up with the refs before the game to keep an eye out for it ,and if it doesnt get fixed, then ill use some of the cheap shots as mentioned here :-)

Reply #238366 | Report this post

grinner  
Years ago

haha if you guys were better, you could play in a higher div like me! im in div4 and i pretty much rock. chicks dig me and i dig chicks. i got this killer jumpshot that is devestating and i also have such pretty eyelashes! but for some reason i love to read all the div5 forums coz i like to sumtimes pretend im shit!

i do actually play in the reserves and i think its ridiculous. i started in 5's and worked my way up, dont talk shit we r all playing for the same reason.

Reply #240013 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I'm a thug who plays in a high grade. Beat that!

Reply #240019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back in my day Jrs we use to take it out to the carpark!! Forestville didnt play us for two years. We played our 15 or so games and won the usual 5 or 6 but it was great to pick the extra two up for no effort. Gota love Lions old school basketball.

Reply #263352 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I know anon above is lying. Old school Lions would never have won six games. Maybe one against Adelaide Southern

Reply #263361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754