Anonymous
Years ago

TV boost for new NBL - SEN

"I am confident that we will end up with an even better exposure of our elite players on Fox Sports in 2009/10 than we have seen in recent years."

"I am not in a position to give you the final wash-up on it (the total amount of games to be shown), but the negotiations that we have had and the flexibility that Fox Sports has shown us in moving forward encourages us to say that we are going to have more games this year than we had last year and more games than we have had in recent years."

Tigers CEO Seamus McPeake told Sportal that the new television deal was part of the reason why his club decided to reverse its decision and join the new league.

More Here

Topic #20021 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

But what about free to air coverage FFS. We all know that coverage on Fox with a reach of 20% does hardly any good for our sport so what about free to air coverage! Thats what really matters!

Reply #237457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they are also exploring internet coverage aswell as FTA. As long as fox dont have EXCLUSIVE rights I dont have a problem.

As Boti has said, with option like local stations possibly broadcasting games and internet feeds availiable, the NBL cant be bullied into an exclusive FOX deal.

Reply #237458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The television deal I believe has been flexed to a certain point so the clubs will have some room to move independently from the league, McPeake said."

What does that actually mean?

Reply #237459 | Report this post

Russell  
Years ago

Probably means that clubs have the ability to go out and get television deals of their own, especially in the regional areas.

FTA, FFS. It needs to happen. One, ABC, SBS, Channel 31, do what you must, but get basketball back on FTA television.

Reply #237461 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

One HD is they key, everyone is talking about it and very soon everyone will have it.

Reply #237484 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

one hd is basically providing cheap, marginalised content. That will have an impact on its viewership, and in turn on its capacity to sell advertising, and in turn on its ability to pay even semi-reasonable bucks for a couple of big properties.

Ten itself will not release too much content to One HD if it is prime value, because ten needs that content on its main station. If Ten had to make the decision about which of its properties (Ten or One HD) bid for a major sporting event (lets say 2010 world cup), then my guess is Ten will win. The end result of that is that One HD remains a second tier sports TV channel, showing lots of re-runs of games or marginalised content as we have already seen. Foxtel has already learned its lesson with marginalised content - hence Fox Footy channel got shut down at the first chance it could gracefully do so.

You guys might be happy that One HD is showing NBA, but that is largely because no one else wants it or needs it. The NBL would be considered marginalised content, but you still have to pay production costs. From what I have seen at this point One HD is not chasing its own live events, so it is purchasing rather than producing content, which means it will always be a second tier provider.

In much the same way SBS is seen as a second tier provider.

Reply #237496 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

How about the netball? Doesn't OneHD produce those brodcasts? Surely the NBL could osition itself in a similar way?

Reply #237501 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

oden08, channel 10 produces the netball broadcast. Its secondary content for one hd. And the netball product is in its infancy in terms of ratings ande viewership. I suspect viewership is stronger in NZ, so 10 is recovering costs by onselling at a bigger margin to what it buys coverage of NZ based games...

Reply #237503 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

btw, the anz championship holds ALL of its numbers very close. Crowd numbers for example are never reported openly..... do not appear on austadiums and is not released by the organisers. They spruik heavily their "big games" and "sell outs" based on those, but give little else up. Try getting an average!

Reply #237506 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see Internet streams happening - bandwidth is just too expensive here. Which Australian sports have it? Does the AFL? A-League? NRL? Start with things we can afford and improve live scores and provide live radio instead. Actually, I'd like to see radio and stats combined into a single player.

Reply #237513 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Netball has less coverage on 1 ten than Fox did last year as they did every game last year.
The advantage they are getting is that 10 are taking the big games espec. Thunderbirds games here in SA. Netball has Mon. games to get on TV.

Reply #237522 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Isaac, article in todays West makes mention of the Wildcats being able to broadcast all home games live in the internet.

Reply #237524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL are about to start streaming live games each week, so I can't see why the BA league can't.

Reply #237527 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

#237527 - there's internet streaming and there's internet streaming. The seabl are apparently offering a pay per view service which is low risk in terms of bandwidth cause every buyer covers their own cost.

During the NBA finals we have seen free to web streaming - a very different proposition and almost totally unworkable here.

Reply #237544 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TC2, being able to, or actually doing it? Video, webcam or audio?

Anon, SEABL, full video?

The NBL for years has been unable to provide consistent live scores or radio, which is why I'm reluctant to build up expectations of live video feeds. Buffering audio streams is one thing, but video is going to be on another level.

This is a video demo of what SEABL is doing: video of Tasmanian game. Has potential, but for me that is unwatchable (might just be my browser and/or connection) - stops to buffer every second and that is a SEABL game replay from a stored file that might be accessed right now by a couple of people, not live NBL with hundreds of people tuning in.

Would love to see live video streams, but I think it'd be expensive, imperfect and criticised, and would potentially reduce paying crowds without having the benefits of TV that spreads awareness to channel-flickers.

Reply #237552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, further to that, that (NBA stuff) is often done by either big-budget enterprises or (I'm guessing) hackers streaming from TV tuner cards via cable connections. The production and broadcast stuff is already therefore handled by TV companies.

I'd rather see the NBL do fewer things really well (like I said, integrated radio and stats feed), than jump into everything and do a half-arsed job of it.

Reply #237557 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

No point having internet video of games if it is terrible quality, lets hope that the new league is a big hit and therefore the greatest possible amount of coverage is given through a range of avenues and networks.

Reply #237577 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754