Fill Smythe
Years ago

Melbourne Victory looks at possible NBL team

Melbourne Victory chairman, Geoff Lord wants to enter a team in the NEW NBL.
Lord , former president and life member of the Hawthorn Footy Club, has already had discussions with Larry Sengstock, who has indicated support.
The plan would involve a deal with current Dragons players.

Topic #20041 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is there a link?

Reply #237760 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Sorry Jack, I don't know how to do links, but if you go to Fox Sports News then "Basketball" you'll find the article there.
If you're into all sports it's a great site to visit.

Reply #237763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #237781 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

i think is going to be a very sound way to enter the league with a supporter base already there...introducing people who do not watch basketball...i like it...like it even more that Cowan is being shafted...as he was one of the ugly heads trying to control BA...Tigers eating some pie....ahh all good here...

Reply #237789 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You could argue it isexactly what Carlton tried to do with the soccer in the NSL all those years back...and failed. Would be good to see.

Even talk in Herald-Sun newspaper today that MElbourne could have 3 teams in the newNBL within the next year or two. Don't know about 3, but I think they need 2 teams in the basketball heartland of Oz.

Reply #237803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing Sengstock mentioned three teams because he's keen on a Basketball Victoria-run club.

So, when asked about a privately owned Victory team, that in his mind would take it to 3.

Reply #237806 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Reckon it would be great to see this happen.
Brilliant , in fact.

Reply #237835 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

36ers probably better to align with United

Reply #237836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the 36ers want to align with its biggest rival?

36ers and Crows is a perfect combination, hopefully the new owners can build on the relationship already set up.

Reply #237847 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Crows and 36ers combination does sound like a good relationship, that has been set up. Do we get much out of it ?
If Victory go in the newNBL, does it follow that Adelaide United and 36ers may gain something, together ?

Reply #237854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide United wont be interested in anything as they are currently run by the FFA...

The Crows will have an interest, but with the 36ers not generating income, again a bad business decision...
If the Crows could get some sponosrs on board and help out that way, even allowing training sessions as I am sure they already do, it would be enough..

Reply #237863 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

OK. Thanks for that - now I understand it.
Good to see that from the Crows.

Reply #237867 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Maybe now that Potsie is going to be working for the Crows he can strengthen the relationship!

Reply #237936 | Report this post

NBL in Guam  
Years ago

Sydney Swifts are in partnership with Sydney Swans. Interestingly while I was in Argentina, almost all basketball clubs had the same name as the soccer clubs (boca juniors, river plate etc), i think this is similar in Pain and possibly in Italy, with names and colours.

Reply #237977 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754