HAHA
Years ago

Another day, another Tigers rort....

Interesting article with Anstey being interviewed about the prospects of ex-Dragons players signing with the Tigers.

It reads, in part:
"If it could be managed, imagine how a roster of Anstey, Worthington, Ingles, Sam Mackinnon, David Barlow, Stephen Hoare and a couple more ex-Dragons such as Nathan Herbert and Matt Burston would look.
Then add a couple of quality imports to top it off."

Sam old crap really...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25566111-11088,00.html

Topic #20049 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

Sam is old crap these days

Reply #237931 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Disclaimer: I have dyslexic fingers today.
Should obviously read 'same old crap'!

Speaking of Sam, there was an article recently in the Brisbane Times it may have been, where Mckinnon stated there should be no imports this year due to the cap being reduced, and said that Blaze would be ideal to play for because he still has business interests there and mentioned it probably wouldn't happen due to having a frosty relationship with Joey Wright.
Needless to say I don't think Blaze will pay him $400k to spend much of the season on the sidelines anyway.

Reply #237933 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Let's hope the salary cap is policed properly

Reply #237941 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

Sounds to me like all these players care about is their own hip pockets. A couple of weeks back Anstey wanted a 3 or 4 million salary cap and now McKinnon wants no imports. Ofcouse if there were no imports he could be paid more. Shame they don't seem to love the game like the suporters do.

Reply #237942 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think it was Freudian HAHA

Reply #237950 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Can you really blame the Tigers/Anstey for a writer putting out what is nothing more than a theoretical puff piece? And Anstey pretty much summed it up with:

"It's a great thought having a potent, powerful side for the new season, but I have a feeling we might be a bit restricted by the salary cap."

Reply #237959 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

A bit restricted?
I think it would be nice for them to finally live that statement, rather than just talk it!

Reply #237984 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

If the tigers can manage to retain their Best seven or eight players, The Salary Cap would still make it very tough to add some of the Dragon's key players.

The Dragon's key players, for example Worthington(loves $$$)would need to take pay cuts to fit in, and some may dislike this.

The Tigers 10th,11th,12th best players are all young guys that have proven with how their playing in the BigV Conference of the ABA that they are going to be a force for the future. So Losing those players would be very unintelligent to just win a championship, in the "FILL IN" 2009/2010 season.

Tigers 08/09 Roster,I would say is still more than strong enough to compete for a Championship, even with other clubs signing the X-Dragon and Sydney Players.

Reply #237985 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Maybe a team including the above is a possibility?

Ever thought that the named players might actually be happy to play for 120k fo this season? Then grab a bit extra in the off season over in NZ?

What are the other options? Move overseas to somewhere you dont really want to be?
Interstate for maybe an extra 30k and then come home again at the end of the season?
These guys have all been paid very well over the last couple of seasons so maybe they will be happy to take a big paycut for 1 season while they wait for the real NEWNBL to start in 2010? Yeah its a risk to take that bigger $$ will be on offer soon but for someone like Anstey in Particular whats the big diff between 160k and 120?

Anstey 120k
Worthington, 160k
Ingles, 130k
Sam Mackinnon, 100k
David Barlow, 130k
Stephen Hoare 100k
Herbert 80k
Burston 80k
Young Aussie 50k
Young Aussie 50k

Reply #237987 | Report this post

facial  
Years ago

I think dave barlow is right up there with mark and joe.

I think Barlow should be getting more then Joe.

Reply #237999 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What makes Anstey think they might be a bit restricted now? Did they not feel restricted in the past? Is this his way of coming right out and admitting that they made a mockery of the salary cap in the past?

Reply #238003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, a 60%+ paycut for Anstey?

Reply #238032 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yeah Isaac - I agree its going to be a massive paycut for him, but what are his other options?

1. He can try his luck at another team - but he is still going to cop a huge paycut from last seasons debacle. What would he be worth to another team - 200k tops? tahts 20% of the cap and doesnt give much scoipe to build a team around him? Does he want to move from his home for 50k?
2. Try overseas - hes done that so I cant see him going OS again
3. Sit out a year and do nothing.

Granted Im assuming he has invested his past earnings well and isnt living from payday to payday but to me a move for 1 season to chase an extra 50k or so isnt that attractive.

The other massive assumption Im making is that the cap of 1 million will actually be adhered to by the clubs and policed properly by the league

Reply #238049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anstey will take a higher amount and the team will put together a less-star-studded roster.

Reply #238053 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yeah well then I guess its down to whether the owners will have the balls to stand up to players who have that attitude.

Reply #238057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754