brisbane
Years ago

Why don't NBA teams tour Australia?

is it just me or is Australia and surrounding areas the only countries not to be able to see touring NBA teams. Nba teams always tour china, europe and others in the pre season so it only seems automatic that soon australia should get the oppurtunity to see the best teams and players in the world. WHOSE WITH ME???

(Mod: Fixed the title for you.)

Topic #20056 | Report this topic

NBL in Guam  
Years ago

Not only that but NBA players rarely come here. I couldn't believe danny granger was in Indonesia before last season.

If nbl has asian aspirations and it is well-known then NBA teams would tour here in a heartbeat.

Reply #238001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that would be awesome

Reply #238013 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

ive always wondered the same, something like this may help generate interest in the newBL. The 2000 US olympic team in Melbourne packed out the stadium.

Reply #238014 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think it's all about exploring options and markets that they can tap into for the NBA top brass. Europe in particular is a realistic expansion option in the future, hence why the NBA Europe tour happens every year. Australia doesn't present thaa opportunity, and also has only 20 million people so it's not really a market I could see Stern and co being all that focussed on.

Reply #238017 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

the NBA players/owners and coaches are scared that the behavior of Australian profesional athletes (league players) will rub off on the young innocent impressionable Americans if they were to tour your shores to play exhibition games lol

Reply #238021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a big enough market, and too bloody far away.

Reply #238023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussies only care about footy that's why ...

Reply #238030 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would they tour Australia? Our market is too small and basketball just doesn't get the attention that it does in China or Europe.

Reply #238035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It did nearly happen, or at least it was definitely being negotiated. As early as the beginning of 1997 there were talks to bring two NBA teams to Sydney for 1999 pre-season games.

There was a lot of govt money available for luring big ticket sports events to the new Sydney Olympic facilities for launches/test runs. Soccer had Brazil, then a FIFA All Star side. Various rugby events, and I'm sure equiv. big ticket events in other sports that I pay no attention to. There was even an NFL game between the Denver Broncos and San Diego Chargers!

Don't know the how/why of the NBA games not happening, but it was definitely on the table, and with the govt funding and timing, was sadly probably the best shot we've had and likely will have for some time.

Reply #238036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we can't even get control of our own league - much less the NBA

Reply #238041 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754