NBL in Jakarta
Years ago

Ater Majok - what's he thinking?

Sudanese born western sydney product Ater Majok has barely played competitive basketball at a high level yet he has nominated for the NBA draft and if it doesn't look like he'll get drafted then he may play 'overseas'.

Whether this is all a load of B'S' to indicate to nba scouts that he has already got offers (when he may or may not) or whether it is legitimately his plan, its seems silly when he has an offer to play for UConn and take the spot vacated by Hasheem Thabeet.

I'd also like to know how a guy who has never played at a high level anywhere has been touted as a possible 2010 lottery pick.

Topic #20057 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't know if something is changed or not but my understanding is he is nominating for the draft however because he doesn't have an agent that means he is allowed to play college ball again next season if he doesn't expect to get picked early.

The truth is he isn't expecting to get picked early and will with draw from the draft. All he is doing is using it to go train with teams to get more practise in. A smart move by him.

He will be back at UConn next season!

The reason he is considered for the Draft is because he is 6"10 and athletic and long. He is like an Odom but more athletic and able to shoot from outside. Not saying he is better then Odom just saying he is that sort of Mold.

Have a look at YouTube for some of his highlights you will be able to see the guy has talent! He has high hopes also with his goal to make it as an NBA All-Star!

Reply #238004 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

KingJames is right, he is just testing the waters, getting his face and name on NBA teams radars. He remains eligible and will play for the Huskies next season, barring some crazy decision by a desperate NBA GM. One thing to consider though, is that you only get to 'test the waters' and withdraw from the draft once. Given how raw he is right now, he might have been better off putting in a good season or two at UConn and then test the waters.

Draft Express has a profile on Ater:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ater-Majok-5255/

This last para pretty much sums it up:

"Majok is the type of player who could very well develop into an interesting prospect in the next few years, but he's way too far off from contributing to even be thinking about the NBA at this point, as weak as this draft may seem. Any team that even considers drafting him would only want to do so with the intent of stashing him overseas for the next few years".

Reply #238006 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

From what i'm hearing he doesn't want to go back to UConn, but he would rather go to Europe and make some $ - then go back to the draft.

silly if you ask me

Reply #238010 | Report this post

NBL in jakarta  
Years ago

That was my point, not that he was gonna nominate for draft then return to college.

If he plays in europe he will be an import and if he wants to make the NBA you'd think he'd have to be an above average player, which would be tough in the majority of euro leagues due to his lack of muscle, not to mention his lack of pro' experience.

Reply #238011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering, is he an Australian citizin? If he plays in the NBA, will he be known as an Australian? Also, can he play for the Australian national side?

I'd love to see him play in the NBL one day!

Reply #238012 | Report this post

curiouser  
Years ago

DJ Rod, that is because his family are supposedly really struggling financially.

Reply #238019 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

I remember reading a scouting article somewhere saying he was "five years away from being five years away"

Reply #238027 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

DJ - hearing the same thing. His family is apparently pushing for him to leave college and pursue a pro contract for the $$$.

If he was smart, 1 season at UConn could translate into far more cash in the NBA or Euro than he could get if he left now.

Reply #238028 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

yep due to his family $ troubles but 1 more year of pain for a lot more gain IMO

Reply #238055 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ok Jakarta, hadn't heard that he might consider Europe for the $$$. I'd only read that there was pressure from his family to nominate for the draft this year.

All the scouting reports are saying he is way behind on skill-level and basketball IQ, so I reckon his chances of getting good playing time in Europe are slim to none. Bad move for him to go there in search of some quick cash.

His only chance is to slog it out at UConn for 2-3 years and hope his learning curve goes ballistic. Gonna have to meet academic standards too. Not gonna be an easy task.

Reply #238060 | Report this post

NBL in jakarta  
Years ago

Yes he is an Australian citizen according to Eurobasket.com, however this site also says stephen black is irish, david andersen is danish and trevor ariza is dominican. IE, he is eligible for both australia and sudan internationally.

Reply #238068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy is just listening to his family's wishes. Hope he succeeds in whichever he chooses. He has been annointed a saviour to his people since his birth

Reply #238096 | Report this post

Wildgoose  
Years ago

Oden08 I read the same thing. That was a quote from a team scout. Also was interesting they said he wasn't as athletic as he looks.

Reply #238110 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

just say he gets a tryout and starts ta dunk all over some NBA playas? do you think he'll have a chance then?

Reply #238119 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just came across this article onm nbadraft.net about Ater's plans moving forward at UConn as follows:

Majok is not committed to playing at UConn next season. After declaring himself eligible for the NBA draft, then withdrawing his name after rather ho-hum evaluations, Majok still hasn't decided whether or not to return to school. He is considering trying his luck in the European professional leagues.

"I'm just working out here. I don't know yet," Majok said late Monday night.

Family concerns, financial concerns and perhaps a sense of personal pride in becoming a pro could be influencing Majok.

"It's all there," Majok said. "Really, I just have to make an educated decision and weigh out all the options."

A 6-foot-10 native of the Sudan who spent his teen years in Australia, Majok has yet to play a single game for the Huskies. He will be eligible to compete at the end of UConn's fall semester.

It's not as if he can wait until then to decide, of course. Most signs point to Majok remaining in Storrs, though Majok won't commit to any schedule of announcements.

"A decision's going to be coming pretty soon," Majok said. "But I have no time limit."

Full story: http://linky.com.au/ryhqe

Reply #242974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754