Footy kids banned from school over swine flu threat
Article from: The Daily Telegraph
By Kate Sikora and Gemma Jones
June 03, 2009 04:40pm
THOUSANDS of children will be kept away from school for a week if they go to the State of Origin tonight under orders by health authorities who fear a spread of swine flu.
New South Wales Health has advised parents they will have to keep their kids home if they travel to Melbourne for the rugby league match, The Daily Telegraph reports.
NSW Health's Director of Communicable Diseases Branch, Dr Jeremy McAnulty said he had been advised that as many as several hundred NSW children may attend tonight's State of Origin match in Melbourne.
"I want to get the message out to their parents, as quickly as possible, that those children should not attend school when they get back to NSW," he said.
In Victoria, the elevated 'sustain' alert level will mean a more targeted use of isolation and quarantine measures.
There are currently over 500 cases of swine flu in Australia with three quarter of cases coming from Victoria .
Victorian Premier John Brumby has confirmed earlier today that Victoria's swine flu response has been upgraded from contain to a modified sustain phase.