no go
Years ago

Quarantine chaos

Are many pulling out of Classics/Nunawading due to SA (and NSW) govt's quarantine order yesterday? Lots of emails and chat in my club, and we had to cancel out due to unmissable school commitments next week.

Topic #20091 | Report this topic

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

I wondered if teams would be pulling out...

seems like the smart thing to do..

Reply #238433 | Report this post

tig  
Years ago

Southern Tigers u/14 Div1 boys are not going to Melb.

Reply #238435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah our club had 2 teams pull out!

Reply #238444 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Which club is that anon?

Reply #238450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs u16b div 1 and u14b div 1 I hear

Reply #238458 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

A few parents from the Team I was taking over to Nunawading decided it best not to go leaving me insufficient numbers so have we have withdrawn from the carnival. Now trying to negotiate arrangements with hotels etc.

Reply #238460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs U/16 Boys and U/14 Boys have both been pulled out of the classics

Reply #238465 | Report this post

Flinders 11  
Years ago

They would, fuuny that teams that aren't very good pull out, but teams that have a chance don't.

Reply #238472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flinders some of these boys have been told from their schools that if they went and played in melbourne this weekend, to take 7 days of a school, some of these boys have exams next week and can't afford to take the time of school.

Reply #238473 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

Flindesrs 11 you are a TOOL.... As a coach you have a duty of care to all of your players... The health of my players is the most important thing to me, winning a carnival would come well below that.... Once again you're a TOOL!!!

Reply #238474 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

You have more chance of stayiing in Adelaide and catching a more severe bout of influenza A than you have of traveling to Melbourne and catching a minor bout of swine flu!!!!

Can anybody spell hysteria???

If it's so bad why arent the AFL cancelling games???? They get over 200,000 spectators a weekend to games in Melbourne.

Why arent aircraft grounded from leaving Melbourne? Why hasnt the ANZ netball championship cancelled its games, the VRC and so on and so on.

Be careful typing your responses you may get RSI!!

Reply #238476 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Well said Meaks. Flinders 11 must be affected by a virus that affects the common-sense part of his brain

Reply #238477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said 'Sebastian'

Relax People......

Reply #238479 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think the main problem is that anyone that goes over to Victoria are then meant to be quarantined for 7 days on return and as mentioned earlier, a lot of the older age groups ahve exams next week.

Reply #238480 | Report this post

Pulteney 87  
Years ago

Meaks, yes you have some duty of care for your players, but this is not the Ebola virus.

You are not putting your players in harm's way by going and not protecting them by staying home. This is a strain of the flu less severe than seasonal flu. If they go they may even be better off if a more deadly mutant strain appears but this is under debate as well.

The issue is not the health risk as there is none at the present time. The issue is more to do with the Health Minister's decree that school age children returning from Melbourne should stay home for 7 days.

Every family has different circumstances and thus the decision should be there's. If your team is not going because some, most or all have withdrawn then that's fine but say it for what it is, not what it isn't.

Reply #238483 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

It is an unrealistic approach from the SA government. What if no child gets the flu but still has to be quarantined for 7 days.......ridiculous Parameters imposed by the SA govt.

Are the 400 executives that flu to Melbourne this morning for work going to be quarantined for 7 days when they arrive back in Adelaide tonight???

I didnt think so

Reply #238484 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

This is true, but if we all take the attitude that we can go over there and then mix it will spread like wild fire, if ppl decide not to go then we can at least keep the numbers to a minimum...

Reply #238493 | Report this post

hoops98  
Years ago

Well our team is off to mildura, checked with swineflu hotline they are recommending anybody that goes to victoria (country or melbourne) keep there children home for 7 days after. Just checked with school, yes they are recommending it also, not to come to school. So looks like if you go, you have to keep your children home for 7 days after

Reply #238496 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

As a coach you cant make your team go in a situation like this... It comes down to each team and the parents of each team making the decision... Especially if they are young kids...

Reply #238498 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Its going to spread regardless of people attending a basketball tournament.

People who think otherwise are naive.

"if we go over there and mix it will spread like wild fire"

How many plane loads of people come to Melbourne everyday? Business men, families etc You already have it you narrow minded people.

But to put it bluntly:

There are 300 cases in a population of 4 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hardly a pandemic

I just cant believe how you people are carrying on. Has the victorian governement closed down public transport? Theatres? Shopping centres?

Its a strain of flu that is less intense than the normal everyday flu virus influenza A.

Reply #238499 | Report this post

phd in shot  
Years ago

im pretty sure the point was many of the older teams players can not afford to miss 7 days of school, as it could affect exams which are highly important!
on the off chance that someone catches swine flu, 7 days seems extreme in any case

Reply #238505 | Report this post

Grote 35  
Years ago

Meaks,

Nobody is going to die or even get really sick from it.

From what you are saying:

Then as a coach you can't make your players go at any time. Because at this point last year there were more than 500 cases of flu in Melbourne.

And considering over 500 people fly in from Melbourne ever day its going to get here.

And they have more chance of dying driving over than they do getting the flu as well. Or from slipping over in the shower, so nobody shower. AARRR

You can't make them come to training next week cause what if someones brother went to Melbourne to watch the State of Origin.

Can't go to the shops in case somebody there has been overseas.

Can't eat fruit and veg, what if a coach from another team was in the shop looking at fruit before you get there.

Mass hysteria!!!!!!!
It's the flu, everyone will get it. And they will get over it.

Reply #238506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sebastian and Grote 35, thank you for finally being reasonable. We clearly live in a media driven society, where newspapers, radio and the likes rely on people tuning in, or buying papers to boost profits.

I can't believe we live in a society of such hypochondriacs.

Reply #238509 | Report this post

There is a wolf.  
Years ago

Dr Sebastien your comparison is totally out of kilter...are business people sweating and making physical contact with other business people 3 times a day for 40 minutes at a time? sharing the same bench each day with 15 other teams? All use the same toilets and hand basins with 3,000 other kids?

Can kids afford to miss 7 days of school? Can parents afford to also miss work to look after their kids for 7 days? Come Monday will the Health Minister say any parents who also travelled will have to be quarantined? Can two parents afford to miss 7 days of work, especially if they work casually?

Prevention is better than cure, seriously why would anyone take the risk?

I would rather have Dr Sebastien say I told you so on Tuesday then have one kid come back with the swine flu, anyday.

Reply #238510 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

What if a kid comes back with the normal flu and then gets pneumonai which is ten times worse.

Business me will be sitting on a plane within 30 cm of a person they dont know, using the same toilet as the other 200 passengers, using the toilet at the airport with 15,00 daily commuters, sitting in a taxi that has had 500 sweaty people in who have coughed and blown their nose etc etc Goes to the company or hotel gym while he is here. Catches a tram whilst in the city.
That's the big picture.

The problem here isnt the swine flu. As has been stated its less dangerous than the normal influenza A. The problem here is the ridiculous measures put in place by the SA government. A kid sits at home for 7 days, what if he doesnt have even a cold.

The SA government is the ridiculous aspect of this debate.

There is a wolf wrote:

"Prevention is better than cure, seriously why would anyone take the risk?

I would rather have Dr Sebastien say I told you so on Tuesday then have one kid come back with the swine flu, anyday."

You still dont get it. The strain of swine flu in oz is not the same killer as in Mexico. You are mre likely to have complications from teh influenza A virus than swine flu. Every doctors clinic has the medicine required and the symptoms are gone in three days. No one ever gets over the normal flu in 3 days.

So for the last time the normal flu is more dangerous and serious than swine flu.

Reply #238513 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

Read my last post....

Reply #238516 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Meaks, most people dont seem to be worried about the swine flu itself apart from a few wimps, the problem revolves around the 7 day quarantine of children away from school.

That's the governments stupidity for all the reasons outlined above.

Its coming to SA whether you like it or not.

Reply #238517 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

I spoke to a GP last night to get more information about the Swine Flu, so that I could make a more informed decision. I was advised that the young, the elderly and people with diabetes, asthma etc are at a higher risk of severe problems from the swine flu.

I have children under the age of seven, and my wife works with hundreds of chidren each week (all under the age of four) and pregnant women, thus I have contact with people from higher risk categories. I had to choose between going to Melbourne and quarantining myself from my family for 7 days on returning (to avoid exposing my children, my wife and all the families she works with when I return) or making the decision not to go at all.

This made it a pretty easy choice as the welfare of my family is paramount (and I don't want to spend 7 days separated from them), so I decided I will not be going. There is no hysteria from my point around the Swine Flu as I am aware that I or my family may still contract it at a later time.

For me the decision was abut minimising the potential risk to my family. My decision not to go has minimised this risk.

Reply #238519 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Response to the Human-Swine Influenza in Victoria
Update  4 June 2009
Victoria has now moved to the Sustain Phase of the influenza plan to protect the community from the H1N1 virus.

The sustain phase means:

There is no longer a need to quarantine everyone who has been in contact with a confirmed case of swine flu.
Only confirmed cases will need to be quarantined for three days and will continue to receive the most appropriate treatment. Household members will continue to be provided with Tamiflu, but will not be quarantined.
The Victorian Government will focus on those most vulnerable to influenza: those in child care centres, aged care facilities, special development schools and hospitals.
If you are unwell with flu-like symptoms

Stay home from work and limit your contact with others
Call your GP for medical advice.

H1N1 Influenza 09 (Human Swine Flu)
Human cases of a new form of influenza virus. The symptoms of the H1N1 Influenza 09 (Human Swine Flu) are the same as those for the normal winter flu, and so far have been relatively mild.

The pandemic alert level has been raised by the World Health Organisation from phase 4 to phase 5. The Australian Government pandemic alert remains in the contain phase.

Current situation

Victoria is now in a modified 'sustain' phase of our plan to manage the impact of this strain of influenza in our community.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confirmed cases

The number of confirmed cases of Human Swine Flu in Victoria is 521.

Reply #238523 | Report this post

There is a wolf.  
Years ago

I hope you are 100% right. Overnight in Victoria there were another 126 new cases recorded...and by the weekend who knows what it will be.

Queensland, NSW, S.A, W.A are all quarantining every child that comes back from Victoria for 7 days.

How many teams will not be coming from interstate now that this decision has been made? Not too many as I can't see how families can really afford to sacrifice a week off work and kids a week off school.

Can you imagine next Tuesday one healthy kid who's played in Melbourne and the parents ignore the quarantine and the teachers find out and the whole schools shut down for a week?

Reply #238525 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Sebastian, I looked at the SA, NSW and Queensland health websites last night and they all say they are following the Commonwealths advice of voluntary quarantining for 7 days. In NSW schools are making it mandatory to stay away for 7 days if you are returning from Melbourne. Unsure why you keep attacking the SA government?

Reply #238526 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Its all governement then. Unless you stop all travel in and out of Victoria by every person whats the point????

Dad comes back from Victoria and gives it to child, child goes to school, whats the difference???

521 cases in Melbourne now out of a population of 4 million.

Reply #238528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

are business people sweating and making physical contact with other business people 3 times a day for 40 minutes at a time?
Are kids with the flu likely to be running around on a court for 40 minutes at a time? (Flawed and simplistic view, but as has already been pointed out, the quoted section is no different.)

Reply #238529 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

Well done Sebastian love your comment about wimps!!! What are you 12 years old?? Thought this was a discussion about what people have decided to do... I dont want to put my team at risk of contracting the swine flu (no matter what the effects) and my parents are of the same thinking... They also do not want to have to quarantine their kids on their return... If it ends up in SA so be it... To me a smiple decision, it's a basketball tournament who cares... Lets hope the problem is not there for when we go to nationals in Melbourne in September...Sounds like you may have something to do with the tournament and are annoyed it is turning to sh*t... Build a bridge there will be plenty more tournaments for the kids to play in.... We are not coming end of story...

Reply #238530 | Report this post

There is a wolf.  
Years ago

you would hope they wouldn't be running around at all...but at what point does someone start feeling ill? the night before, after the 1st game, the 2nd game or after hitting the game winner on Monday?

Reply #238532 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Yeah whimps is harsh but the point is influenza A is worse than the swine flu. Stay home and get Influenza A. Do you get that??????? Normal flu is worse than swine flu.

The difference with swine is the total overreaction by governments to quarantine for 7 days. Once given Tamiflu its gone in 3 days. Why keep kids home for 7 if it only last 3.

Its the reaction that is ridiculous.

Its already in SA. As of yesterday you had 8 cases. yes its only small but Victoria started the same way.

Their was eeven an article in your adelaide paper stating that 1 in 5 AUSTRALIANS will probably contract it.

Reply #238534 | Report this post

There is a wolf.  
Years ago

Sebastien you wouldn't like BASA's reaction then...they jst announced the cancellation of ALL district games next weekend.

Reply #238535 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Well isnt that really a response to the government restrictions???

If they go to melb the government says they have to stay home for 7 days. This BASA's hand was forced.

I just think that unless you quarantine everyone or make it so no one can travel to and from melbourne then saying kids cant do this because they traveled there isnt really going to work.

Adults contract flu's just as easy as children. Somtimes more so as they are rundown etc. Then they come home, kiss there kids good night etc etc

Adelaide Crows play Essendon at Etihad Stadium on Sunday. How many fans will travel to that game? Sit in a crowd with 25,000 or 30,000 people, use the same toilets, handrails, share trams, trains, taxis etc etc???????

Reply #238539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This quarantine business is pathetic. If they were really serious about cracking down on a virus which is less serious than the Influenza A virus, all transport to and from Victoria would be suspended. But hey, that's impossible. Too much money lost to the economy, when we are just starting to find our feet again.

We encounter many viruses every day, but our immune systems are able to fight them and make sure that we don't suffer from contacting them. If you're worried about getting the Swine Flu, don't go to Melbourne.

I'm going to Melbourne sometime this weekend, and I can safely say that there's no way I'm getting locked up for 7 days when I come home, and I'm a school student. You say that I have to stay home in quarantine? Watch me.

Reply #238545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done...

Reply #238546 | Report this post

s vidmar  
Years ago

hell I just lost half of my reserves team and 3 ABL players for the next round, due to the rule.

Reply #238583 | Report this post

Grow Some  
Years ago

What about all the victorian kids coming here for the weekend in other sports to compete, they don't have to be quarantined for 7 days

Reply #238584 | Report this post

Pulteney 64  
Years ago

we rang the swine flu hot line also, but all we got was crackling
And that's how serious it really is!

Reply #238585 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

mmmmmmmmmm crackling!!!!!

Reply #238629 | Report this post

FPS  
Years ago

Be very interesting to see what comes out of this weekend, alot of discussions, views etc. Suppose we could only wait to see what eventuates? Did the people that pull out do the right thing only time will tell.....

Reply #238638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are coming back on Monday you miss 4 days. not 7. It is a big media hype and have not even heard anyone over here talk about the flu. Packed my oinkment just in case.

Reply #238658 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

30 games cancelled over the weekend, mainly due to NSW teams

Reply #238748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 days isolation from the time you leave melbourne

Reply #238750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes so you actually miss 4 days work/school becaiuse of weekend

Reply #238756 | Report this post

PK Mum  
Years ago

I think a lot of you have missed the point. The danger is not in how severe or mild each virus is, the danger lies in the lack of a vaccine against the H1N1 strain. Seasonal flu can be vaccinated for, therefore protecting the vulnerable either by direct vaccination or by slowing the virus' spread (if a high enough number of people are vaccinated, the seasonal flu spreads less quickly through the population). As there is no vaccine for swine flu yet, there is nothing other than quarantine to slow down the spread of the virus into the vulnerable members of our population. It's no joke; I watched my mother die at 37 from flu complications to chronic asthma. That event makes missing a basketball carnival, no matter how special, pale into insignificance.

Reply #238766 | Report this post

PK Mum  
Years ago

I think a lot of you have missed the point. The danger is not in how severe or mild each virus is, the danger lies in the lack of a vaccine against the H1N1 strain. Seasonal flu can be vaccinated for, therefore protecting the vulnerable either by direct vaccination or by slowing the virus' spread (if a high enough number of people are vaccinated, the seasonal flu spreads less quickly through the population). As there is no vaccine for swine flu yet, there is nothing other than quarantine to slow down the spread of the virus into the vulnerable members of our population. It's no joke; I watched my mother die at 37 from flu complications to chronic asthma. That event makes missing a basketball carnival, no matter how special, pale into insignificance.

Reply #238767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the vaccine for swine flu is called tambiflu. It definately exsists!!!!

Reply #238851 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tamiflu is not a vaccine, it is a drug that isolates and shuts down the replication of the flu virus once you already have it - as long as you commence taking it within 2 days of the symptons showing.

There is no current vaccine against the specific swine flu. Although I agree that it is less dangerous the the seasonal flu based on medical opinion.

Reply #238877 | Report this post

the white monkey  
Years ago

Ok so heaps of teams are missing so who is missing that would have had a shot at winning their division... I see from NSW only comets norths and hills sent a team and from SA looks like sturt are around as well as eastern mavs but who else has made the trip... and are there any contenders actually missing?

Reply #238892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VICTORIA now has the highest recorded per capita rate of swine flu in the world and is being blamed for exporting the virus around Australia.

The Australian reports the state has already exported more than a dozen swine flu infections to other states, territories and countries, including an NRL player who contracted the illness after last week's State of Origin clash in Melbourne.

Over the weekend, Western Australia, NSW, Tasmania and South Australia all had fresh positive tests to the H1N1 strain among people returning from Victoria, with Singapore and Malaysia also attributing one new case apiece to visitors' exposure to the virus in Victoria.

Queensland Origin forward Ben Hannant, also a prop for the Bulldogs, contracted the illness after performing strongly for the Maroons in their 28-18 win in the opening Origin game in Melbourne on Wednesday.

There have not been any other reported cases of swine flu among the NSW and Queensland Origin teams to date.

Victoria yesterday left its swine flu tally unchanged at Friday's total of 874.

But observers fear another surge in numbers after the weekend respite in the state's reporting ends, given its caseload more than tripled last Monday.

Other states and territories, which collectively account for fewer than 20 per cent of Australia's swine flu cases, have seen their numbers jump since Friday by 45 to 177, taking the number of cases nationally to 1051.

Western Australia took the biggest hit, with the number of confirmed diagnoses reaching 14 yesterday - up from two on Friday.

An 11-year-old boy and 23-year-old woman who had returned from Melbourne were among the new infections.

In NSW, the number of reported infections acquired in Victoria doubled since Friday from four to eight, out of a statewide tally of 82.

South Australia and Tasmania also announced one new positive test each to the disease that they attributed to exposure in Victoria.

Victoria has relaxed its testing, tracing and quarantining rules for swine flu in response to its sharply rising caseload.

It has the fourth highest number of infections worldwide after the US, Mexico and Canada, but the highest per capita load.

Reply #238932 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754