Isaac
Years ago

Blaze re-sign Pero Cameron

There's that third forward to rotate with Vukona and presumably Petrie - the Gold Coast Blaze have signed Pero Cameron.

Gold Coast Blaze coach Joey Wright says he'll be looking at the club's latest player signing to bring his leadership skills to the table this year  on and off the court.

Birthday boy, genial Kiwi and Blaze establishment player, Pero Cameron (35), on Friday committed to his third straight stint at the Gold Coast basketball club.

The 1.98m forward, who began playing at the elite level and won the New Zealand NBL Rookie of the Year in 1992, is the Coast's most experienced player so far signed.
More at NBL.com.au

Pero was seemingly on the outer with Brendan Joyce last season but I think there's value in this signing - experience to offset the youth of the other two forwards targeted.

Topic #20101 | Report this topic

Drb  
Years ago

I agree, if pero gets fit he can work, last year in the off season he put on a load and didnt really get match fit towards mid season.

Teams can easily expose pero by playing a face paced game, he just doesnt have the fitness.

Reply #238640 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

this is certainly going to be a decent team...Joey is building a side to compete immediatly and exactly what the NBL needs...

only thing i will miss is Gorj coaching a side...

Gorj V Joey is an interesting factor...both are top notch and go hard against each other...obviously in the past both have had teams that have had plenty of cash to throw around....this time MAY be different for Joey!

Reply #238668 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Pero had become a bit of a crowd favorite so it's great news to have him back. The fact that it was so obvious Joyce had issues with him (very similar to Jason Crowe in 07/08), and thereby underplayed him, was yet another reason fans lost faith in Joyce.

I agree fitness will be a key but again, maybe there's much more incentive this season knowing Wright's on board.

Has a sweet 3 point shot for a big man and IMO he's still the holder of the most miraculous shot in Blaze history, the 3 pointer against the sixers last season, after the buzzer and sending the game into overtime. Yeah we still lost but that shot is still one of the more memorable events from a last placed season.

Reply #238712 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

"Who can forget his enormous home game three-point shot last December against the CAIRNS TAIPANS with a second left on the clock to send the game into overtime? said Claxton.

Sorry my mistake. Memorable basket, not memorable opposition.

Reply #238718 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pero is also one of the best passers in world basketball. With Wright's offences geared to interior passing, Pero could be a real handful this year.

Reply #238743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great signing...Hope the cap police are watching

Reply #238773 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

P.C is the man. Good shit Blaze, I would have dumped casey "Mr inconsistant" frank aswell, I hated everytime he put on a tallblacks jersey. P.C is a great leader on and off the court with a wickedly high bball iq. New Zealand has a young guy called Ben Hill who has played for the tall blacks who is straight out of P.C's mould, scored a couple of nice buckets on Bogut in his debut, I can't believe tha Breakers havn't snapped him up, he's been playing for jeff "the maori" green in Iceland

Reply #238794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Hill is rubbish, have you be following the nzbl this season? hes having a shocker..
even at his best he is nowhere near nbl quality..

Reply #238799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Hill is rubbish, have you be following the nzbl this season? hes having a shocker..
even at his best he is nowhere near nbl quality..

Reply #238802 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Re: cap police - which big-money names have the Blaze signed? Would Pero have been able to make big demands after last season and potentially without too much competition for his signature?

Reply #238804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call Isaac, I guess time will tell. Everyone seems to think that it (NBL) will be more of the same, so why are we to assume that the cap will be policed at all.
Petrie was quoted in saying that the Blaze had made a substantially greater offer than Wollongong, and he is also 'not a big name' player either.

Reply #238839 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I guess it depends on your definition of substantial doesnt it....

If Petrie was offered 88k at Woolongong and say 104k at the Blaze then thats about 15% which Id say was substantial, then you could add in a few extras here and there and it woul seem like a very worthwhile move for him.

Reply #238841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is not whether he leaves or not, go with the money I say. He has family up there, and being a blaze supporter I am excited about the signing...If it is policed though and we are found above it, it could be the straw that broke the camels back in a conjested professional sporting environment such as the Gold Coast.

Pero and Petrie would be an awesome combo, both unselfish, both very physical, both do the little things that go unseen.

Reply #238852 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I can't believe this line hasn't been used yet... but surely, this has got to be the biggest signing of the season.

Reply #238880 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754