DJ Rod
Years ago

Sponsor quits Crocs over player release

Read what you want to out of this

Topic #20110 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

While I disagree JR should've been let go, I don't advocate clubs having to spend valuable time sitting down with one particular sponsor who admits to being a friend (so is he primarily upset as a friend, fan or sponsor- the water is a bit muddy there?) and having to justify their place.
Despite sponsors being an invaluable part of the game, they don't get to pick rosters.
Imagine if everytime there was a change on the roster, a club had to justify it to every individual sponsor?

Reply #238820 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

If the guy just pulled out because he was upset and is a mate of Rillie's, then fair enough. However, blackmailing the club with your sponsor dollars to try and get your way is bad form... especially when you start calling the club's actions "immoral". Bollocks. Someone get this guy a waahmburger and some french cries!

Reply #238822 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ultimately, it's his money and his choice.

But where I think it will be awkward is that a team can't easily backtrack from a decision like this. A coach cannot really be held hostage by fans - if you had fans and sponsors voting for the composition of their team, I suspect they'd quickly find themselves out of the play-offs as chemistry suffered or the majority voted for flashy players, or running out of money going for stars.

The coach has made the call not to re-sign Rillie and Egan. Bring them back now and what does that do to team chemistry?

Given that, I don't think making his move public will do much to help Rillie or the club. The Crocs can't take him back, it doesn't encourage another team to pick him up sooner, and can only potentially damage the team. Might mean a bit of publicity for the sponsor themselves, but how many people would respond positively to this sort of thing?

I think when considering it all, you have to isolate two components of the issue:

1 - whether 'breaking' a contract that had technically been made void by the league is right by you

2 - whether you think the Crocs should've kept Rillie and Egan

Given that the sponsor made no mention of Egan, I think this is more about wanting Rillie in the team (meddling) than taking the high road. But, like I said, his money, his choice - just could've done it privately.

Reply #238824 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I am glad that we never had a sponsor pull this crap over Mark Nash!

Reply #238828 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Agree. Obviously, the sponsor is too close to be objective about things, and that's understandable. I'd probably feel the same way if I was in his position (ie. a passionate sponsor, Crocs fan and personal friend of Rillie's). However, my empathy runs out when he starts trying to cast moral aspersions on the club's actions. The Crocs followed the rules; end of story. The new/interim league is a whole new proposition. Even if he thinks that their actions were morally "inappropriate", one might suggest it would have been "appropriate" to keep that thought to himself.

Reply #238829 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

^ Lol, I was agreeing with Isaac, not the Mark Nash call.

Reply #238830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who does he think he is? You want to coach the team, start with your level 1 and 2, 3, coach juniors, seniors, college, aba, assist for 10 years get an NBL gig, then you can choose your players.

Reply #238837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or just donate the $30k to sponsor JR's blog instead!

Reply #238855 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I like THAT idea!

I love coming to this site to post things like this because I have been able to read educated opinions from fans who obviously know basketball. Beats the hell out of Ozhoops in that respect.

I have learnt a lot coming here and have taken my medicine a few times, but its good to see other ppl's opinions.

The thing I will add is that a lot of ppl I have talked to aren't disappointed with just this one incident, more a build up of things over the past 5 years... kinda the straw that broke the camel's back.

Reply #238856 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Or maybe you just didn't like the comments over on Ozhoops due to many not taking Rillie's side on the matter.

Reply #238867 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

WHAT?

Reply #238869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rillie will get a gig somewhere else, you can be sure of that.

Reply #238876 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

DJ, do you use 2 pc's to make comments at hoops?

I get confused that your nick is DJ Rod & djrod...yet all seem to be on the same page..this is not a go, just wondering if it is someone trying to piss take...

I wish this forum was based a little like whirlpool.net.au...that type of set up so all users had to register and no name changing type of shit...

Reply #238881 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

He is more then welcome to perth

Damien martyn/brad robbins
Peter Crawford/John Rillie
Shawn Redhage/
Martin Cattalini/isiah Victor
Matt Burston/Paul rogers.

Note rogers has re-signed and cattalini, burston and martin are very close to signing as well.

Reply #238889 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

yeah i do - i own 4 laptops - use them at gigs that i do... 4 weddings last night plus NQ Cowboys and 2 weddings tonight.

Reply #238895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting point made over on OzHoops - didn't Rillie bail on the Pigs in less than ideal circumstances when he signed with the Crocs? He was even fined at the time. How'd Dennis feel then?

Reply #238933 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

That sounds vaguely familiar :P

Reply #238938 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Wow- had totally forgotten about that actually!
Funny how lessons come back and repeat themselves without you realising until the lesson is learnt.
I still wish JR well either way, but the Pigs example helps put it in better perspective.

Reply #238945 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's a brief news piece covering JR's fine for dealing with the Crocs while still contracted to the Pigs:

Crocs, Rillie fined over deal

Reply #238947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:32 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754