Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Incentives for Home Grown Talent

Now that loyalties concessions/ points reductions no longer exist for players serving a long period of time at one club.

Is there any concessions given to clubs who produce there own juniors that go on to play for the club?

Topic #20118 | Report this topic

Johnson  
Years ago

It is a very good idea to reward home-grown talent. Can think of plenty of home-grown players on rosters. (Crocodiles - Michael Cedar and Kelvin Robertson, Tigers - Darryl Corletto, Luke Kendall, Tommy Greer, Adrien Sturt, 36ers - Schenscher, Wildcats - Robbins, Garlepp, Taipans - Williams, Blaze - Olah, Hawks - Jackson, Breakers - Jones, Henare, Penney, Boucher)

Not sure where the line would be drawn however in regard to local players leaving then returning a la Luke Schenscher. I think to be given a reward for having local players they must only be a one-team player a la Michael Cedar or Darryl Corletto.

Reply #238963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How wide does is the net allowed to be cast? Are all victoria juniors now under the Tigers juristriction for 'home grown status'? Can the Hawks claim anyone in NSW etc?

Reply #238970 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Of course not. The Tigers have they own junior club so that should be they're pool to scoop from. For clubs that don't have a junior association such as Adelaide then I guess anyone from the city area should be regarded as a local junior. Tough area to police I'd say

Reply #238976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs would need to show evidence of continued development to be able to get concessions

Reply #239001 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

PMI this and the interesting's come out with does this lead to an undesirable influx of talent into the the "junior" tigers club? Long held as one of the great poachers of Victorian Basketball, this just creates the opportunity to cement that reputation.

Reply #239007 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with HO on this...the Tiger's junior program don't develop their own talent - they poach it from other clubs!

Kendall is actually a Kilsyth junior as an example.

Reply #239010 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Perhaps they could register one local junior per year to give some kind of scholarship to, which gives them first rights to sign them.

Reply #239055 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754