Anonymous
Years ago

Which referees do you prefer

Just got back from Melbourne and found the fame much more enjoyable with the victorian umpires. Their were less hand checks and soft fouls and they only called what they needed to, this lead to a more up tempo game and less stoppages. I would like to see the victorian umpires try to teach our umpires to let more contact into our game. Which umpires do you prefer vic or sa?

Topic #20138 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

game*

Reply #239164 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Vic

They are more ahead with the times.

SA are too backwards. The Refs don't even allow you to clarify fouls or why the foul was called. No support to help you prevent from making the same mistake in future games.

Reply #239165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vic refs i saw on weekend were shoking, much worse than SA refs, but they were only a few out of hundreds i spose.

Reply #239170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on where you played over the weekend as well...

Keep in mind, just like their playing pool in Victoria, their refereeing stocks are also a lot larger to cover the games and therefore have a larger pool to create more talent in refereeing

Reply #239173 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As previously advised, more refs normally equates to more depth.

Vic refs generally are better IMO, but there are always the god with the bad!

Reply #239175 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I can't buy a call no matter where I go, I often check that I don't have "wanker" printed on the back of my jersey lol.

Reply #239224 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

4 victorian referees did the u16/u18 boys finals at the classic on the weekend. 2 of those being girls. All 4 did a fantastic job.

Reply #239233 | Report this post

Rybags  
Years ago

Let more contact in to the game you Reckon? Well thats a load of crap. How about people learning how to play D without holding or pushing or cheating.

The thing that pisses me off is that i, like many others play Good clean D and then get man handled down the other end.

You might say a hand check to the hip is nothing. Well your wrong. If i weighs 70kgs and the guy whos guarding me weighs 90kgs and he's go his hands all over me its surely an unfair advantage to the defender.

You can't hand check in the NBA so why should it be allowed here.

Move your F*%K'n feet

Reply #239305 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Because the NBA isnt real basketball. Plus, there is plenty of handchecking in the NBA. Anybody who associates FIBA basketball to NBA has no clue.

Reply #239367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sebastian for a referee you really don't know much do you.

Boasting that the GF ref were from VIC is hardly praise when 99% of the referees at the tournament were Vics!

Reply #239377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good referees do allow players to play through contact and apply advantage/disadvantage principles well. The problem here in SA doesnt always lie with the referees, but with many coaches and players who are too one-sided to see the benefit of a flowing game.

I watched a game Tuesday night where in the backcourt a player got bumped on a pass, released the ball and stumbled a couple of steps, pass went straight to his team mate in the front court to a 3 on 2 situation, and the coach was jumping up and down, yelling at the referee for a foul. And this was our reserves competiton!

The problem is that when Team A is in offence, every contact MUST be a foul. But when Team A is in defence, the referees were being too soft and calling everything.

The idea of allowing some contact situations into our game is not just a change in application required by referees but also a change in attitude by some of the basketball community in SA.

Reply #239398 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I didnt boast, i made a comment. There were severla SA referees there. But you knew that

Reply #239413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were two maybe three.

Oh and talking Classics I know for a fact the so called unknown referee is one of very few interstaters who has refereed a Classics Grand Final.

Reply #239417 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Well Chris Clarke turned up with more than 2 or 3

Reply #239419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All of the interstate referees didn't have the chance to referee the finals at the classics because their flights left earlier. This is why there were four Victorian referees allocated to finals. And there were only two referees from SA there...

Reply #239479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure only two S.A. referees have ever refereed a Grand Final at the U16/U18 National Classics.

Reply #239481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we had this really good african ref one game explained his calls, was consistent and let the game go when there was an advantage, letting the soft foul go.

Reply #239617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754