Anonymous
Years ago

Is basketball dead in SA?

Looked for any news on round 10 on the ABL website and could only find predictions for round 8. Have their been mass defections to other sports or has the piggy virus toppled everyone over? Can't think of any other sport where an independent website like hoopssa is the only thing giving basketball some focus. Just curious, but is basketball most people's second sport and they play football saturday afternoon and front up for basketball later?

Topic #20172 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The ABL site's a bit slow to update and basketball must be dead? Might be a more encouraging way to put it, or to offer help to maintain the site?

The site does have the results for Round 9.

Reply #239693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the person running the comp had any interest in it maybe things would happen. Shame he only cares about juniors and so nothing will change while he is in control.

Reply #239697 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is in my opinion a baseless post.

Reply #239699 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Why doesnt anyone want to put there names to pointless negative topics, that they start?

Agree with you LC

Reply #239705 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Has the original poster been to a game? If so id doubt he/she would have posted this.

Reply #239708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look at the publicity other sport gets compared to basketball and you tell me if it isnt dead!!!! No one gives a rats.

Reply #239716 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

I do.

Reply #239733 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Me too (:

Reply #239785 | Report this post

woop woop  
Years ago

Me three

Reply #239819 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Ditto!

Reply #239820 | Report this post

Try and give a solution rather than just post a negative post.

but Yeah basketball doesnt get as much press, its horribly underated in Australia, it doesnt help that in most schools, the main focus is freaking netball (sorry excuse for a sport) and also football. I think more emphasis on school basketball teams should be encouraged.

it would also help if NBL was televised on mainstream TV and if it is put on TV it could be at a decent timeslot.

I remember when even social basketball (especially in the hills) was huge. ABL players played social basketball on there off night from training and the stadiums were a buzz of people. now we have contracts and stuff like that restricting us and crowds arent crowds, they are 1 or 2 supportive partners who come out of love. its so sad.

not sure how to change it back to the old days, but it sure would be great.

p.s. I miss playing carnivells (we need more of them)

Reply #239821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I take your point. So here you are:
How about ensuring that previews of the ABL games go up on the Tuesday before the game at the latest and don't let the website fall up to 2 weeks behind as is the case now.
How about a full preview of teams not just a norwood and forestville diatribe?
How about clubs ensure that all their div 1 teams, or as many players from them as possible, attend ABL games. Isn't that what their aspiring to at the very least?
How about we have only one playing of the national anthem at abl games?
How about getting court side announcers that have some enthusiasm.
How about playing more double/triple headers anywhere so that it looks like someone is watching?
How about adding a SASI team to the abl ?
How about woodville and centrals forming one abl team along with southern and south for abl?
how about food vendors coming amonst the spectators with a tray of hotdogs for sale?
How about door prizes, give aways and halftime kids stuff to drag a few in?
feel free to add to it.

Reply #240067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about ensuring that previews of the ABL games go up on the Tuesday before the game at the latest and don't let the website fall up to 2 weeks behind as is the case now.

Sure. You get parents to support a raise of Spectator and playing prices across the board, in particular juniors so that BSA can fund someone to manage the ABL properly. Actually in order to suit your demands they may need two or three extra employees. So look for an increase of around $5 a person for every competition BSA run.

How about a full preview of teams not just a norwood and forestville diatribe?

I'm sure if you wanted to offer to write it BSA would print it.

How about clubs ensure that all their div 1 teams, or as many players from them as possible, attend ABL games. Isn't that what their aspiring to at the very least?

On top of State Trainings, SASI Trainings, Two or Three Club Trainings and at least one game a week you want clubs to force Div 1 players to attend ABL games on a Saturday night? Good luck with that. Your obviously not a parent of a junior basketballer.

How about we have only one playing of the national anthem at abl games?

That I will agree with. But hardly makes a major difference to the evening does it?

How about getting court side announcers that have some enthusiasm.

You mean everyday people that clubs beg and plead to do the job for nothing in return. The people that work at ABL are almost all volunteers. Some clubs have games where they can't even source a Court Announcer. Be thankful you even have one.

How about playing more double/triple headers anywhere so that it looks like someone is watching?

All the ABL games I've been to this season have been very well supported. I would suggest BSA and the clubs should focus on better stadiums to help attract more people. If I knew I could get a seat at a South, North or Norwood game I know I'd be more likely to attend one.

How about adding a SASI team to the abl ?

Why? SASI kids struggle with their basketball commitments as it is. Forcing them to play against adults isn't going to help them.

How about woodville and centrals forming one abl team along with southern and south for abl?

Because they are seperate clubs with seperate families and supporters and seperate history.

how about food vendors coming amonst the spectators with a tray of hotdogs for sale?

Really? And who is going to do that? Are you going to be happy to pay $5 for a bottle of Coke or $7 for a Hot Dog?

How about door prizes, give aways and halftime kids stuff to drag a few in?

Door prizes and Give aways cost money. At a lot of clubs ABA is a drain on Junior income already. I doubt you'd find any club in SA willing to spend more junior money on their senior programs.

If clubs had the resources and people to do this they would. Most clubs struggle for manpower. That's the biggest problem in basketball in SA. Everyone wants something for nothing. If you're not already, ring your local club and offer your services to help. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Reply #240074 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754