BBB
Years ago

2010 Australian Under 20 Championships

The Australian Under 20 and Ivor Burge Championships are to be held in SA in Feb 2010. Any word yet about exactly where??

Topic #20182 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starplex, Gawler

Reply #239786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did SA score this over Melb, Syd, Bris etc and why have it all the way out at Gawler instead of wayville or pas?

Reply #239789 | Report this post

BBB  
Years ago

Didn't Gawler just host the U/18 Nationals??

Reply #239794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National Tournaments are spread around the states on rotation.

Starplex over Wayville/Pasadena as it has better facilities all around, one extra court and also is air conditioned.

Wayville could be 50 degrees in Feb, Pasadena could be not much better.

Reply #239801 | Report this post

frank sorrenti  
Years ago

yea gawler did

Reply #239809 | Report this post

Gee its great having it at the best venue but what about people getting there if they dont have transport. i know wayville is hot in hot weather. jan long weekend this year an example during the country champs.

why not have the best somewhere so that like minded people can get to the games easily without having to rely on someone with a car.

I going to get shot down for suggesting the dome but why not maybe shift the series for one day for any sixers game and get them to play centrally so other people can watch.

what disabled person who is on a pension and cant afford a car is going to go all the way out to gawler to watch someone who they look up to.

Gee someone should have thought of this.

Even Melbourne sports and aquatic centre is easliy serviced by public transport.

oh well

Reply #239810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Trinity College build Starplex anywhere but Gawler on its campus?

BasketballSA doesn't have the funds to build a $5M venue and certainly doesn't get the handouts every other sport is getting from the State Government and even local councils.

Reply #239812 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Photoking....mate, all sportscentres are without transport....hence the need for a general facility in the city....basketball wont be there, but it will be a step in the right direction...

Reply #239815 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Still not from SA, but my understanding is that the National Tournaments are delivered to the States by rotation and from there local Associations (or combinations of same) bid to host the tournament. My understanding is that there isn't a whole lot of competition for hosting these tournaments at times (hence the 20's last year in Townsville where it was oppressively hot and changes to court allocations were required mid-week).

BA impose their requirements and cost structures and the local Associations decide whether they can or want to make a buck from there.

Was involved with 18's at Gawler last year and while it is a great facility, it is indeed a long way out from most accommodation. But if there are no other bidders, there's not a lot of choice. Don't forget the 20's also include the IB tournament so there's a lot of games to get through.

My local association in NSW is currently looking at bidding for next year's 18's (which have already been allocated to NSW by rotation) but despite having a 6-court complex, not quite sure we can meet the BA criteria which then tends to restrict the options.

Reply #239835 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ankles, if you cannot make good money out of any of the major BA tournaments I'd be surprised.

The locally restrictive stuff is staffing, particularly volunteers for stats and scoretable.

The stadium restrictive is generally about having two separate courts that can accommodate some sort of crowd - Ballarat barely can but get events every year it seems, so the process can hardly be too restrictive. Likewise Newcastle, who's stadium is a shocker, have done well in getting and running events. Terrigal barely have a second show court - they also get their share.

But once you've got one, if you cannot make good money i'd be very surprised. The melbourne metro associations steer away because of opportunity cost of forgoing domestic competition - but many do not have that level of dependence.

Reply #239879 | Report this post

Hi Pigs of war

i beg to differ. i can get to most stadiums in adelaide by public transport that drop me by the front door.

Gawler however is out in the middle of nowhere. when you get off the train you have to trek for nearly 2k crossing a main freeway to get there. I agree its a great stadium but its miles from anywhere including accomodation.

I sponsored a player this year for the ivor burge, it would be nice to see him play next year but not as much as i hoped.

Reply #239982 | Report this post

Catherine Beinke  
Years ago

hi Guys where was it held last time SA hosted it was it up at gawler or did wayville host it

Reply #240609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

under 20's doesn't drag lots of spectators as most players are past mum and dad watching so it could be held a school stadium for all the interest it generates

Reply #240615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

240615,you clearly havent been to a 20s national championship.

What about the COllege Scouts, NBL scouts, AIS etc.???
Not to mention all the spectators

Reply #240622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754