hereschenes
Years ago

Lakers vs Magic Game 5, Spoilers

I can't believe LC hasn't started this yet...

Lakers turning up the heat late in the 2nd. Is anyone watching it?

NBA.com game link

Topic #20186 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Sure am!

Magic better step it up and start limiting the turnovers! They can still get back in this game easy.

Reply #239856 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Good to hear... the last few minutes on the play-by-play reads very, very ugly for them.

Reply #239859 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Poor... it's all over. Congrats to the Lakers I suppose.

|c:

Reply #239877 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Lakers win by 13. Judging by box score, they controlled the game after half time and Magic couldn't bridge the gap.

Reply #239878 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I am not Kobe's biggest fan by any stretch, but kudos to him as he showed in this series that he is a true champion (LBJ should watch this Final Series over and over again to see what a TRUE leader does), and deserves whole-heartedly to be named AMONG the greats. He led his team wonderfully, ably assisted by Odom and Ariza, and in one game by Fisher.

I think the Magic will for a long time look back on Games 2 & 4 and wonder "what if?", but there is no doubting they were beaten by the better man and team.

Congrats Lakers....begrudgingly!

Reply #239880 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Well said Speed44! Kobe has cemented his name amongst the greatest now and all you haters can't say he only one a championship with the help of Shaq now.

So much for the earlier topic title about Kobe slowing down.

Brilliant work by the Lakers! Well deserved!

Reply #239889 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Gasol, Odom and Ariza were all big in the series. Kobe may have been the leader on this team, but he had plenty of help at both ends of the floor.

Ariza's defence today on Hedo was a big reason the Magic could only score 80-something. Gasol, Odom and Bynum shut out Lewis and Howard (again).

In the end, the Magic lost the series because their hot shooting hand eventually cooled down, and the Lakers were able to pack it in inside against Howard. We have heard how jump shooting teams don't have success - the Magic almost proved that theory wrong - and the hot shooting they enjoyed against Cleveland just could not be sustained against arguably better defense, and higher pressure games.

Give Kobe some credit - he may not be the most liked team mate in the NBA, but his determination and will to succeed pushed the Lakers over the hump.

Reply #239891 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

yup props 2 LA for getting the job done. now bring on next season

Reply #239893 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

As a Pistons fan, I'd prefer to skip next season please.

Reply #239908 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

CHAMPIONS!!!

Now to work out how to keep Ariza and Odom (without dumping the coach) and do it again!

Reply #239972 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I think Gasol was to the defensive side, what Kobe was to the scoring side.

The fact that Gasol played Howard, single coverage, without getting in foul trouble, in fact drawing offensive fouls, meant that the magic's entire offensive structure went to hell.

The magic based their game on Dwight demanding a ton of attention down low, which provides space for the shooters. It just never seemed to happen in this series and credit must go to the coaches involved.

Also- Jameer Nelson playing these finals should go down as one of the worst gambles ever in NBA history.

Great play by Kobe soured of course by his need to score when the game was over, shameful in his multiple shot attempts and proves the type of player he is.

Reply #240363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754