hayden skipworth
Years ago

Can Liz Cambage make the WNBA?

Shes 203cm and playing very well. At her age, is there a future in the WNBA for her??

I personally think she will end up there in about 2 years.

Thoughts?

Topic #20197 | Report this topic

BigTimePlayer  
Years ago

2 years is a bit early, she is only 16 or 17 atm. but yes she will definately make it the the big time. I think she will need another 2 or 3 year to develop fully before we see her full potential.

Reply #239966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is she athletic enough, she may just get completly demolished

Reply #239981 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

She will make it. There are other bigs in the WNBA who do not have as much athletic ability as Liz. Her attitude seems to have improved over the last couple of years which should help.

Reply #239984 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Without a doubt she will make it.

Has the potential to be better than Jackson in my opinion. She's bigger, stronger, and just as athletic - doesn't have a soft touch yet b/c those clowns at the AIS didn't develop her game (just used her as a battering ram - possibly the reason why she left for Bulleen).

Reply #241099 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

She got a lot of praises from current U.S.A. senior women's basketball coach, Geno Auriema, in their warm-up match in Connecticut (September 9, 2010) so I think she could make the WNBA next year. She will probably need another two years to develop fully so in her first season she might only get "garbage" playing time (when the outcome of the match is pretty much decided) and in her second year she might get some playing time when the game is still competitive. By her third year, she should be a starter on some team's roster.

The Seattle Storm fan in me would have loved to see her come to Seattle but with Jackson and Bishop already here, she wouldn't get much playing time since she would be a third string center. Former Seattle Coach Ann Donovan has a knack for developing centers but has moved on to coach a college team. I would have loved to see Liz being drafted by New York under Donovan, Liz would have learned a lot.

Liz reminds me of LJ (Lauren Jackson) in her early years but LJ was a lot tougher and had more finesse around the rim. But with a good coach who specializes in developing post players Liz will be an excellent player.

The advantage LJ has over many players in the world including our players here is that she is a post player who has an excellent outside game. She is like two players in one. She can play with her back towards the basket and then come beyond the three-point arc and hit a shot. She plays forward/center for us at the Storm and is a match-up nightmare for virtually every team. I think Coach Donovan should get a lot of credit for LJ's development.

Reply #289096 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Definitely. A player with tha size and ability to score just doesn't come along each day.

Her future rests with her attitude, and if she can continue to improve on her maturity, she could be a great player.

Reply #289097 | Report this post

just home  
Years ago

does not have LJs outside game. however she will get drafted to the W.

Gretel tippett to me is more like the next lauren jackson.

Reply #289102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billy
The credit for LJ's development should go in order to
1 Genetics
2 Her mum and other coaches at Albury basketball association. She was aready a superstar in the making at 14 years old.
3 The Aussie junior program and the AIS.

She had a complete game before she ever went to the WNBA. The competition week in week out allowed her to hone those skills.

Reply #289120 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754