Isaac
Years ago

The Likelihood of Overtime in Basketball

Came across this data and analysis of the likelihood of overtime in the NBA, but figured it would be just as applicable in the NBL.

But overtime is almost 3 times more frequent than this: 6.26% of all NBA games are tied at the end of regulation play. And games decided by just a few points are surprisingly rare: It is more likely to have a tie than for the game to be decided by two points, and a tie is more than twice as likely as a one-point difference. These statistics are quite dramatic when you see them visually.
These videos explain it well:

This is how the points margin changes (positive numbers favour home team) as the clock counts down to half-time:

Notice how it's a fairly even curve.

And then this is the same look, but at the clock counting down to the end of regulation - it gets telling as the clock enters the final 10 seconds:

The article itself is worth reading, but here's one of the comments that would explain what we see in the graphs:
1. Teams down by 2 late are most likely to take a 2 point shot, while teams down by 3 will most often take a 3 point shot. The team's choices make ties a likely outcome.

2. A tie is a stable equilibrium, while other scores aren't. If a team leads with the ball, they will be fouled, preventing the game from ending on that score. If a team has the ball with a tie, they'll usually be allowed to wait and take the last shot, either winning the game or leaving it as a tie.

Topic #20201 | Report this topic

ankles  
Years ago

Without delving into the stats behind such a phenomenon, I have often been intrigued by what I had observed was the tendency of teams to play their way into overtime.

My amateur psychologist and ex-player insight suggests that both teams subconsciously favour overtime as an outcome (as the time counts down and there are less opportunities to win or lose the game) as it is a non-negative outcome. If the game is tied, they are still in it. If the game is lost, then they have no way of retrieving the game. So both winning and losing teams have a motivation to go into overtime. The losing team has nothing to lose, their shots are more likely to be relaxed and so create an overtime. The winning team doesn't have the same imperative to make a shot as the consequence of missing the shot, isn't as drastic as the consequence of missing the shot when losing.

My hypothesis is there's a stronger motivation to 'not be the one who lost the game' than be the one who won the game. Do we spend more time analysing 'winners' or 'chokers'? You are not a choker if you send a game into a overtime, you are not a choker if you miss a potentially game-winning shot (in basketball at least), but you are a 'choker' if you lose a game from a winning position. So the winning team plays safe, the losing team goes for it and we end up with far more overtimes than chance suggests should be the case.

I'd love to see the shooting percentages for game-tying shots as opposed to game-winning shots. My hunch says people shoot a higher percentage with a chance to tie the game than when faced with winning the game (even though that's what we all play out every day throughout our child-hood!!).

Reply #239998 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

you are not a choker if you miss a potentially game-winning shot

... but, you are definitely open for criticism if you passed up a potentially game-tying drive to take a potentially game-winning 3, and you miss it.

(even though that's what we all play out every day throughout our child-hood!!).

Hehe, so true! The Charlotte Hornets won innumerable contests thanks to my last-second heroics.

Reply #240014 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754