Isaac
Years ago

Jason Smith announces his retirement

Jason Smith, a former Captain of Australia's men's basketball team, has announced his retirement from basketball after fourteen years at the top level.
"I'm in reasonable shape and I believe I still have the ability to contribute to a team in the upcoming season, but on an emotional level I have nothing more to give," Smith told Basketball Australia.

"There's a demand for experienced leaders in the NBL and I think I qualify as that, but you have to be motivated to succeed and that desire just isn't what it used to be, so I'd rather go out with my integrity intact."

Topic #20223 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

He had a good career but I think he was very over rated. 12ppg he averaged over 14 seasons in the NBL and was the Australian Captain. Give me Brett Maher over him anytime!

Reply #240262 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Props to him for going out like that. Respect to a great career, JS.

Reply #240263 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well that saves another team going bust this year then. All is good.

Reply #240265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice one KingJames, Brett Maher, while a commendable player couldnt guard a door! 14 seasons in the NBL is a massive effort. One of the sports true champions!

Reply #240271 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

I hope you're not serious "Anon". KingJames is spot on, Jason Smith was a good player but Brett Maher was a superstar in this league. If Maher had played for the Kings or Tigers, he would be regarded up there with Shane Heal by eastern states basketball fans.

Reply #240277 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Comparing Jason Smith with Brett Maher has to be one of worst posts.
Brett was a star not far behind the Gaze and Jason was a good plyr only.

Reply #240297 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

who's Brett lol

Reply #240317 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Comparing Smith to Maher doesnt make sense anyway. Maher is one of the best point guards ever & Smith one of the best shooting guards. Both champions in their positions! Imagine them both in their peak on the same side - unstoppable. Smith was also a great defender, he got the best offensive opposition player every week. He could shoot the 3 & dunk like a 7 footer.

Kudos to a great career Jason!!

Reply #240331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith is over-rated and hope he fades and is forgotten. I've always thought he's over rated.

Brett Maher is great

Reply #240349 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

JS did do some nice things for the Boomers guys I think we shouldn't be too quick to judge through rose-coloured glasses here

Reply #240352 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

He got dunked on by Lebron thats all I can remember him doing for the Boomers :P

Reply #240367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lot in S.A. are a strange bunch really. All that THC has taken its toll and left a few of you seriously deluded!
Knthxbai!

Reply #240405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder what all you jerks in Adelaide would be saying about him if he took the offer the 36ers made to him for this season!

Reply #240406 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Whilst I loved to hate him, the NBL will be worse off for not having a Jason Smith in the competition ... dirty rotten scragger that he was! :-)

Well done on a good career, JS. No doubt if you were a Sixer we would be singing your praises.

Reply #240408 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd guess if there were 10 teams we'd have Jason Smith and John Rillie playing NBL.

Reply #240430 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Surely JR will be playing somewhere.

Reply #240457 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i know who i would take between JR and JS.......

at least JS could never be accused of not having a go!
the guy left everthing on the court every game he played(which explains his injuries)

but seriously,these aging stars need to down grade the $$$ they are asking.

Reply #240481 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Down to 8 teams should mean more quality players on the court. But means we don't have players like JS and JR.
( and most young aussie bigs have gone, overseas)

Reply #240488 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:12 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754