Isaac
Years ago

Boomers camp in Canberra

Jacob Holmes was second-last to drop out during the beep test on the first day (fitness tests) of Boomers camps in Canberra.

BA's site has a bit on some of the events of the day:

Rapid repeat vertical leaps, short sprints, timed shuffle drills, skin fold tests and the dreaded beep test were just some of the exercises that the Boomers squad had to undergo.
The oldest inclusion, James Harvey, was top dog in the test - more here.

There's also a picture gallery here.

Apparently new coach Brett Brown is taking them through a reasonable amount of video (with a focus on Spurs plays and techniques) as part of the sessions.

From the broader group of players, a team will be selected to play a couple of games in China later this month.

For the 36ers, Scott Ninnis is in attendance taking a specific look at the AIS players on show while Holmes and Brad Hill are aiming for selection.

The full squad is:
Matt BURSTON, Jason CADEE, Rhys CARTER, Michael CEDAR, Peter CRAWFORD, Anthony DRMIC, Cody ELLIS, Oscar FORMAN, Adam GIBSON, Hugh GREENWOOD, Igor HADZIOMEROVIC, James HARVEY, Brad HILL, Nathan HERBERT, Jacob HOLMES, Nathan JAWAI (late arrival), Daniel JOHNSON, Daniel JOYCE, Matthew KNIGHT, Aleks MARIC, Damian MARTIN, Brock MOTUM, Cameron TRAGARDH, Jordan VANDENBERG, Greg VANDERJAGT, Stephen WEIGH, Kerry WILLIAMS.

Staff: Brett BROWN (Head Coach), Andrej LEMANIS (Assistant Coach), Shane HEAL (Assistant Coach), Marty CLARKE (Assistant Coach), Steve EVANS (Physio), Peter HARCOURT (Doctor), Nic MERCER (Manager), Bill BAXTER (Media).

Topic #20251 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

I hope Scott picks up Igor Hadziomerovic - I want bonz or whoever is doing player intros announcing that guy every week

Reply #240665 | Report this post

ab  
Years ago

its not that hard a name to pronounce... hadz-e-o-mer-a-vic (cant remember if its vic or vich, but its not too bad really)

Reply #240667 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Isaac has the Kiwi squad been announced yet- any idea when that will happen if it's not already announced?

Reply #240668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No idea, sorry.

Reply #240670 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

What happens to those who can't make the first camp? Are they allowed to rejoin in camp 2 or do they miss out on the final selection?

Reply #240673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it say anywhere what level they got to on the beep test? Just interested.....

Reply #240674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think they started it from the typical beginning, but some way in.

Reply #240686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What happens to those who can't make the first camp? Are they allowed to rejoin in camp 2 or do they miss out on the final selection?"

Like Tommy Greer, for example. He was expected to be at the camp but then pulled out because of a shoulder injury. Strangely enough, his shoulder was still good enough for him to suit up for Nunuwading on Saturday and post 30 points and 12 boards.

In that case, you'd hope the player misses out on final selection.

Reply #240689 | Report this post

vic  
Years ago

Tom Greer wouldn't be selected anyway would he? I wouldnt think so. (in my opinion) but i guess you never know

Reply #240710 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Just curious but why was Bruce left out of the squad?

Reply #240761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will jacob be playing this coming sat night, was planning on going out to watch and see how he has been dominating the abl so far does anyone know when he returns?? Thanks in advance

Reply #240763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be a reasonable chance to get picked for the China trip, so I wouldn't bet on him playing ABL. Others might know for sure though.

Reply #240765 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce - was selected but doesn't seem to be there, and doesn't seem to be at the 36ers either.
May have retired ?
26 NBL rookie of the year - if any one knows where he is , let's know.

Reply #240791 | Report this post

ozbball  
Years ago

Reply #240796 | Report this post

oz bball despair  
Years ago

If Tom Greer made a Boomers team then Australian basketball is beyond lost. He is 26, done nothing, can't shoot, can show a bit of aggro on court, treats most people with little respect especially women. If he is the basketball future I am following football. But it is good to see the very young players given a look. Our new Boomers coach is doing the right thing by looking at all our players not just the AIS graduates. The last couple of years has seen the AIS not take the best players but the best connected players.

Reply #240798 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:56 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754