skip
Years ago

NH - iPhone 3GS v Nokia N97

With the release of two big name phones tomorrow I was wondering if anyone is planning on getting one and what there thoughts are?

Nokia's N97 is probably their biggest release in 2 years since the N95. Any iAnything release these days always seems to be a big deal?

I am leaning towards the Nokia at this point, To have upto 64Gb of space, Slide out Qwerty Keyboard as well as the touchscreen and 5 Megapixel camera seems to be bloody awesome. Is there any good reason I should consider the iPhone over it?

Topic #20281 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

both are great phones,

have dealer demos of both at present, both have pros and cons,

the touch on the n97 is laggy at times, but other then that a nice unit,

personally i will be using the new iphone, but its nokias best effort in a long time.

Reply #241025 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Where are you now based thomo?
Will your store have them in stock tomorrow?

flick me an email at [email protected]

Reply #241027 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Dont forget HTC's new TD2 and TP2...
TP2 will equal if not go above the N97...in every facet...
TD2 is very decent also...got mine the other day...windows based....

Reply #241073 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I've got an iPhone 2.0 and my flatmate's got the Nokia N95 so w're both a generation behind what you're looking at, but we both agree the iPhone is much better for general use.

The Nokia might have better specs and a better camera, so if you're planning on using the camera a lot in bad light the Nokia might be handy (iPhone is fine in good light and the iPhone 3G S has a better camera than mine), but it's also a lot more confusing to operate and the internet isn't as intuative and user friednly and fun.

A massive reason to consider the iPhone would be the Apps you can download, there are literally thousands or really useful, interesting, fun apps out there which you won't have on the Nokia. Having the iPhone seamlessly linking to iTunes is handy too.

Remember the iPhone now has texting and email when held sideways (as opposed to the previous version which required the phone to be upright) and this makes typing fast and easy. Once you get used to it, and it doesn't take long, the typing on touchscreen is not a problem.

64gb of memory would be good, 16 on my iphone isn't enough, but I think 32 would still be decent, depends how much you use the iPod part of the phone as to whether you really need all that music.

Definitely get your hands on both machines and have a good play round to see which you prefer to feel of, the fancy specs of the Nokia mean nothing if you don't like using it.

Reply #241098 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I agree with billo - for me the iPhone's main strengths are the apps you can download as well as the gadgets that can be purchased - such as the speaker docks, arm bands etc etc. That pushes the iPhone over the edge for me.

I have the iPhone and love it.

Reply #241103 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

its all about batter power.

Which stacks up with that?

I have an HTC but battery life sucks and useless as an mp3 etc. On the other hand, it is a no problem tool and always works.

Much as i hate to say it... I like windows mobile* and think the restrictions (or perceived restrictions at least) that apple has will stop me from ever buying an iphone.

* awaits the lightening bolt.

Reply #241149 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Dont forget the Driods either...
HTC Hero!
open source so plenty of free applications...

Reply #241287 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754