champion
Years ago

U/16 National Championships 2009

Who is everyone's pick for this years u/16 boys national championships?
do you think the SA teams stand a chance against Vic Metro or the other powerhouses?

Topic #20305 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

I doubt it.

Reply #241542 | Report this post

Grow Some  
Years ago

I don'i know about this years team but i reckon next years team will definetly be a good chance at taking it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #241569 | Report this post

Soothsayer  
Years ago

So b4 anyone has even tried or been selected you are predicting that next years team will take it out!! Who are you Alison Dubois?

Reply #241585 | Report this post

tig  
Years ago

SA Country Boys looking abit small..

Reply #241693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro men will win it all comfortably if they stay fully fit.

Shouldn't win by less than 20, just too talented, and too deep.

Reply #241706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro will struggle

Reply #241721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro women aren't as strong as usual from all accounts. Got a few coming back from last year who are obviously very good, but the bench isn't as fantastic.

Vic Metro men should dominate, returning two from last year, including their leading scorer, and have a better bench than last year too. Have been putting up strong showings against the U18 teams over here, including beating Classic winners Waverley.

Reply #241728 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thought the discussion was about U16's - didnt Knox win the classics?

Reply #241729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Vic Metro Mens U16's team, has been playing practice games against the U18's club teams. Have played most of the good ones, Dandenong, Waverley, DV, Werribee. Have been going pretty well from all accounts.

Reply #241741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country boys certainly dont have size, although will take it up to teams given the oppourtunity.

SA Metro boys look good, beat the Country boys by 15 on the weekend. Well coached with some good outside shooters.

SA Country Girls would be the pick of the bunch, talented squad with some experienced coaches in charge.

SA metro girls likewise, not as talented but given a great draw for the week.

Good luck to all SA teams

Reply #241757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For SA Metro boys to only beat Country by 15 pts would suggest they are in serious trouble.

Reply #241763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro has 1 0r 2 cocky kids in their team.....

Reply #241767 | Report this post

GETSUM  
Years ago

True #728 a lot of bottom age girls in Vic Metro,
but they all have their roles and are well coached.
And they are also aware of the talents of S.A girls and had a good look at them at the East Coast earlier this year.
The boys are looking strong, looking at the boys who just missed out speaks volumes! Also if the ECC is an indicator of depth, the boys are 10 deep.
I'm sure all kids will be at 210% and we will see
the cream rise to the top!

Reply #241772 | Report this post

Puleese exploin  
Years ago

How does it speak volumes and about what GETSUM?

Reply #241832 | Report this post

Puleese exploin  
Years ago

How does it speak volumes and about what GETSUM?

Reply #241834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ECC is only for NITCP kids, held 6 months ago. I think you will find this tournament is not a true indication of team depth or talent.

Some of the better SA Metro kids didnt attend, & the Country kids dont go either.

Reply #241840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

757: Draws are always the same.
As for the 16 country girls being the pick of the bunch, time will tell but I doubt they have the overall game to take it out. The one thing they do have though is the most number of coaches and support staff at the tournament all ready to take some of the glory if they snatch the prize.

Reply #241850 | Report this post

judgement  
Years ago

Sa Metro Boys will struggle no bench depth just look at classics stats vs stats of some not in team.

Reply #241886 | Report this post

champion  
Years ago

despite the sa metro boys only beating sa country by 15 on the weekend, they do have some good talent and will shine out at nationals.

Reply #241888 | Report this post

judgement  
Years ago

Your right champion "some good talent"

Reply #241889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second plane needed for the SAC support staff? SA metro girls will be to strong for country lasses who will just have to make do with conventional coaching numbers.
But who knows, SAC could be at the cutting edge of junior representative basketball in having a 2 to 1 ratio of staff to player and I accept it is not anything like a gravy train, perish the thought in this world wide recession.

Reply #241891 | Report this post

champion  
Years ago

yeah judgement, from what i have heard the starting line-up for sa metro is really quite strong when they play well, and i mean really strong.

Reply #242007 | Report this post

West end  
Years ago

How much beer will be consumed by the SA coaching group in a week?

SAC to win 15 cartons to 4.

Reply #242012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West end, the third plane is carrying the booze!

Reply #242034 | Report this post

SD  
Years ago

You guy's are so hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #242105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SD,
if you don't think sending 4 coaches and a manager to an U16 tournament is a joke then your a hard nut to crack. The whole thing smacks of wanting to share in the glory of a predicted win especially since the boys are making do with just 2 coaches.
I wish all teams from SA well but I'm against the country gravy train.
I think sending 3 coaches, which is the norm,is overkill and is a major component of the cost to families. Wise up basketball and trim the fat.

Reply #242191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One assistant coach is paying his own way.

Reply #242196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is amazing is people who think it is a junket !!! Coaches take time off their jobs, leave family and work hard during a tough week to make sure " other " peoples kids get an opportunity to enjoy the experience.

" Trim the fat " !!!! How do young coaches get experience, maybe coaches should let the parents coach and not put life on hold for other peoples kids

Reply #242202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches will not make sacrifices such as taking time off their jobs, leaving their family and working hard if there is no net benefit for them.

I dont think the best description in regards to the SAC coaches is young and inexperienced.

Reply #242211 | Report this post

Maude  
Years ago

Do you think maybe the coaches love coaching and this is worth taking the time off from work and away from families?

I know for a fact that one assistant is paying his own way and another is being paid for on a scholarship awarded earlier this year. The extra support staff are going at no cost to the kids.

Reply #242212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro Men are taking 1 head coach, 2 assistants, and 1 development coach. As well as a team manager and physio.

Reply #242223 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The extra support staff may be going at no cost to the kids but at whose cost the taxpayer?? 1 is enough if the taxpayer fitting the bill they are 15 year old kids not babies

Reply #242224 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Think about the kids!
It's not costing the kids.
Think about the taxpayers!

Sure you're not just looking for something to complain about? Sounds like one person is going on what's likely to be a minute scholarship, and suddenly you have a skyrocketing concern for taxpayers? I take it you're on war forums talking up the issues there, maybe dabbling in a bit of OzCar talk, trumpeting the evils of the AIS, etc? Such pettiness! Did they forget to invite you perhaps?

Reply #242226 | Report this post

tex  
Years ago

I think they missed out on the ride, so he or she is whinging about anything.

Reply #242228 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NOT whinging not pettiness just trying to enter into a discussion about comments that have been posted above eg the 2 to 1 ratio of staff - I never brought it up someone else did and if they hadnt I would not have known about it - I think you missed my point - I thought the issue being discussed was the ++support staff. My comment was only to ask who pays for the extra support staff is it the taxpayer? and what would be considered a reasonbale amount of support staff to take, surely not 2 to 1 ratio?. It is a fair question? From comments posted above it does appear that perhaps there are some teams that are taking what would be considered excessive support staff - how is this equitable to anyone involved if X team has 1 or 2 support staff and XY team has 4+. AND my understanding is that it does cost the kids - most state trips o/seas trips to represent the state and Australia - the cost to the kids/parents plenty of $$.

Reply #242276 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know for a fact that one assistant is paying his own way and another is being paid for on a scholarship awarded earlier this year. The extra support staff are going at no cost to the kids.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Reply #242284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a congenital defect that comes out in parents once their kids start playing sport that makes them so ungrateful. Be a responsible parent and let your kids know what these people do for them instead of constantly putting them down, its not always about what you can get out of people. The assitant coach that is going to Tassie is attending off his own back as well as losing a weeks salary, the reason he is doing this is his love of the game and the kids. You all should be grateful there are people out their that volunteer their time or junior sport wouldn't exist at all.

Reply #242297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Yeah Yeah, Blah Blah Blah!!!!

Reply #242298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow, you must be one of those parents that teach their kids nothing and wonder why they grown up losers like you, or else you don't have kids because no one can really be that irresponsible, either way your mother must be very proud. I for one am grateful for what the coaches do for my child and I am teaching my both of my kids to be proud of what they achieve whether its sport or academic, but don't forget the people who have helped you along the way. Hopefully my children will one day give back what they have so generously been given.

Yeah I know, blah blah blah

Reply #242299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not unreasonable to question why so many are going with one team when the boys have only 2 coaches and a manager. It's not unresonable to ask why the assistant coaches are not going with the boy's team if they love the game and need experience this would afford better access to the action.
With costs in excess of 2000 dollars parents like to know where their money is going and it's not unreasonable.
Why aren't the extra coaches going with the boys and therefore make the teams equal?
Motives will always be questioanble when on the surface they seem inequitable.
As far as asking questions I don't think anyone should stop from asking them because if there is nothing to hide theres nothing to find out. If people asked more questions and were not put off by people calling them petty BASA would still be around and basketball would be in a better state than it is now.

Reply #242301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it isn't unreasonable to question but the point is constantly being missed, the parents are not paying for the extra staff. One assistant is paying for himself, the other assistant is on scholarship, leaving the coach and his assistant who happens to also be his brother. I do believe when parents receive their accounts it is itemised to show the breakdown. I also don't think it is unreasonable if the coach and his/her assistant is covered in those costs by players and parents, not forgeting that these coaches and staff don't get paid for the 10 days. We all know the cost when our kids try out for these teams, so we have to either suck it up or pull the kids out. I know there was a SE country family who didn't let their daughter try out for nationals purely because they could not afford it, we are not forced into this. Parents complain about the cost but are afraid not to send their kids in case they miss out on something.

Reply #242303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not unreasonable to question why so many are going

No it's not unreasonable, but you (and your ilk) are not questioning, you are anonymously accusing/sniping on a forum. If you were to do it the right way - say ringing up the person in charge (whether it be Metro or Country) and questioning them on how the costs are broken down - then no-one would accuse you of being petty. Of course, you aren't doing that though are you?

Reply #242308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extensive coaching and support staffs. All thats missing is the partridge in a pear tree...

Reply #242309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still haven't answered why there are so many going with this team and considerably less with the boys?

Reply #242328 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Where have I been sniping? as I said before my questions have come from previous posters accusing the teams of having too many support staff - 1 poster commented that one team has 4 coaches and 1 manager. My information has come from this forum, nowhere else - are we not allowed to question something that on the surface of this post seems like a bit of overkill. I dont even know what team it is - so if you think it is personal dig it is not and I wouldnt know if it is Metro or Country that is being spoken about.

Reply #242331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe more are going because more are personally interested or involved or can justify the expense - sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Reply #242332 | Report this post

pettyofficer  
Years ago

Isaac,
Your input seems to suggest anyone who can afford it or has an interest in it could sign on and by implication this suggests little interest in the boys side of things.
IMO the numbers reflect the medal chances of the group and have very little to do with any altruistic motives.
I'm critical of 3 coaches attending, which is the universal norm at the Nationals, as it is indulgent so 4 going is puzzling. It's dificult to see the middle aged ex head coaches attending as 'needing experience etc.' If they were sending 18 year olds perhaps.
Your defence of them is admirable and my criticism is inquisitive not malicious but it's interesting to see so much smoke about.

Reply #242337 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't actually mind the number of coaches going.
Would rather have one more than one less. It's no juncket lloking after someone else's kid.
They don't get paid as such and sacrifice a lot for the team, plus it's a good opportunity for them to catch up with "the Bear" in Tassie and chew the fat.

We're a bunch of whingers in Adelaide who whine about the wrng thing, time to build a bridge a get over it.

Reply #242346 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know anything about these teams in question, the tournament, the coaches anything. I am here because I run a forum and think the bitching in SA basketball (especially as it appears on this site) is terrible.

Here are my assumptions to date from generally skimming these posts as they come through - correct me if I'm wrong:

- there's a tournament interstate
- from the same organisation (SAC?), there are boys and girls teams going
- the girls team has a great chance of winning
- the boys team is not particularly fancied
- the number of coaches and support staff going along with the girls team is greater than the comparative group from the boys team

Now, from those assumptions: Who cares if someone is more inclined to attend if the group has a better chance at winning? These people are evidently making sacrifices through work or wallet at some level - I still don't see how that's a massive drama. If I'm a non-essential assistant coach who has some role back here at home, and my team is likely to struggle, I might be less inclined to make the effort and expense. If the team has a great chance, I might be more inclined to make the sacrifice to attend and feel the rush if they win. If they're not costing parents more, why deprive someone the opportunity of sharing the glory?

If you're not a parent posting here who is paying, why the great concern?

It's not a zero sum game. There's no physical 'conservation of glory' rule going around the world of science. This isn't energy or momentum. If every friend and relative of each player could make it there, I'm sure they'd love to go.

And if you are a parent who is paying, someone mentioned that the costs were itemised, and you could always speak with those organising the trip to find out more information about what costs you're shouldering - e.g., sounds like some of those coaches/support involved are paying their own way or on a scholarship.

Reply #242363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that all of these coaches have been involved with the girls' program within SA Country for the last few years, not the boys program. I think (not 100% sure) they all attended Albury this year as part of the girls program as well, and if not this year they definitely have in previous years. So it makes sense that they go as part of the girls coaching staff - if you were paying your own way wouldn't you want to go with the side of the program that you had an interest or previous experience with? I guess if those involved in the boys program wanted to pay their own way then the boys would have extra staff too. Simple.

Reply #242381 | Report this post

GETSUM  
Years ago

Pauline, AKA puleese exploin + 840,
Did any of the girls not in the ITC program or at ECC, go to the classic or Nunawading tournaments? Even bottom age at nationals last year?! If so then they've been seen and no doubt evaluated!
Volumes; To be very evident or significant!
For the Layman Pauline, the boys who were deemed not good enough to make the 10, are good enough to make up another very competitive team. So come on dude read it through!
840, this explains results of ECC, as a few top vic metro girls missed them as well. How Bball S.A are running ITCP has me beat, are you saying the girls at SAC don't do itc? And why not send the best kids?

Reply #242577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of these coaches have been involved with the girls since U10's. They deserve to go. I'm quite sure that the players are happy for them to be there.
The coaches are as much of a team as the players.

Reply #242584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive blow to metro girls with the loss of their key guard to a knee injury

Reply #242836 | Report this post

champion  
Years ago

yeah it was a bit of a blow, but the guard called up i think will fill the spot comfortably

Reply #242972 | Report this post

Walking Stick  
Years ago

I thought that she came up all right and reserve was not needed?

Reply #242990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Champion, 'a bit of a blow' is understating her worth to the team and I would not agree that the replacement can fill the spot comfortably.

Reply #242996 | Report this post

tnt  
Years ago

I agree, but if it is the lass I think you are referring to, her knees have been troubling her for some time now. Brave or risky with both a girl with an injury and another one recovering from glandular fever in the team..
In the case of the girl with the injury , how much is too much basketball? Not much of a break given District, State, Classics and now Nationals.
Not taking anything away from her, she is very talented and certainly deserved to be in the team.
But is the team fit.

Good Luck to them, I hope they do well.

Reply #243004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tnt,
In general too much training is just as bad as not enough and the state program is about 4 months of endless trainings and games in addition to their school and district commitments. Much talk about looking after yourself is squashed by the reality that if you don't do the 'overkill' you don't get a place. Would think 8 weeks training the playing team would be enough if they cut the team selection process to a more reasonable 3 or 4 weeks.
At the moment kids , strain and strive, play district, abl, school and whatever while the selection process is taking place over 6 or 7 weeks just to make the team and injuries are the result.
The state and sasi program has the reputation for outdated coaching methodology dating back to biblical times with the 'suck it up' brigade having only just come round to allowing kids to drink without the fear of them getting stitches.
The state and sasi process is unlikely to change while the incumbent for life, lives.
On another note I can't help wondering about the use of ankle braces and the spate of knee injuries. Are ankle braces so effective that they simply move the injury higher to the next joint, the knee?

Reply #243005 | Report this post

Walking Stick  
Years ago

Should have picked the other guard.

Then it would have been the SA SABRES!!!

Reply #243014 | Report this post

pinky  
Years ago

good point about the knee braces anon but the rest of what you said is full of shite

Reply #243667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754