skull
Years ago

Emus beat Greece 96-74

great win by the young aussies,still nothing on national news this morning,not even along the results bar,FFS.

has wayne caroll started his position yet ?

the media obviously plays a big role in young athletes decisions for future choices of codes etc.

this is another gimme,larry please dont miss it !

these are world class young aussie athletes,get them some exposure even if we have to bloody pay for it !!

Topic #20324 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, a press release went out at 9.49pm last night.

Reply #241635 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

skull, do you beleive that BA do not try almost every strategy in the book to get coverage for these events? They obviously pitched the Cody Ellis story that appeared in the age on friday.

However. you can't throw this at larry and say don't miss this opportunity. I am telling you that in all likelihood, BA have represented this event very well in the media, in the same week John Elliott domninated our footy media etc etc. facts are an U19 four nations tournament in ANY sport would gather little coverage in Australia.

Reply #241636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good is oceania basketball looking?

The emus blow out the euro champs greece

and nz lose to the euro runners up lithuania 77-71

Reply #241637 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

HO - so if almost every strategy in the book,cant get them even a flash score on the results bar of the news,something is not right.
i am sure if it was the top under age soccer teams or swimming or netball or hockey etc it would at least be on the results.
the nbl has done an enormous amount of damage over the years, with regards to how b,ball is serviced by the media.
all i am saying is,it needs to change if the game is going to flourish.

Reply #241640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Means that basketball isn't always as relevant as we think it is. I can't recall seeing top under age results for netball, hockey, etc getting heavy reporting. It'll start getting coverage when more people start following the game.

Reply #241642 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Skull - driving back from the footy yesterday 891 did a live cross to Larry at the game for a plug as well as a plug for the new nbl. Ease up mate - ditto Isaac's last point - we don't hear about the juniors for Afl or international cricket - arguably our two most popular sports. Fair shake of the sauce bottle!! ;P

Reply #241644 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

isaac - i am not suggesting heavy reporting, just a score flash on the bottom of the screen.

when you said a press release went out last night does that mean it went to all media sources and they choose what they want from those releases to report ??

Reply #241647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As cavolo said, when did you last see a score flash up for lower ages of cricket? I couldn't even tell you if they have such a competition.

Yes, that's how press releases work - whether something is included or not is at the mercy of the editors or program managers or whatever. If everything that was released got reported, programs would be an unwatchable series of advertisements. You can give them your information and try to make a case for it being newsworthy, but if they don't buy it or the public is indifferent, it's not going to get coverage.

Reply #241648 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

isaac - thanks for the info on how press releases work.
all the relevant positive things you guys have said seem to be local network stuff,local radio stations etc.which is great,half your luck.
in far north aust we dont hear that stuff,john elliot who is that ?
these days of lots of money (and wank) most sports dont (or choose not to)have under age tournaments,it must be a great spectacle watching these young international basketballers go at it for there countries,a great raw form of the game.

maybe it is a thing of the past......
for no good reason.

Reply #241655 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

When/if they win the tournoi, will get a mention.
Do these young international basketballers pay to get to france etc. , or does BA provide ?

Reply #241676 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754