MobyDick
Years ago

Southern Attitude.

Friday night at the Dome saw Southern girls lose a tight one in the under 18's and while accepting defeat graciously is difficult at the best of times, coaches need to model sportsmanship. The Southern coach's refusal to shake hands at the end of the game was not in the best interests of the game or the players of both sides and his vocal condemnation of the officials should have been reported.
If junior teams are led in such a fashion at Southern it's no wonder they had issues on Saturday in their senior team.

Topic #20327 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole culture down there is a disgrace and management has a lot to answer for. Numbers are dwindling, attituded are poor as there is no leadership. There should be some serious questions asked down there, but there won't be as they all think things are great. I would guess that this topic will be removed as the coach in question is a protected species on here. His behaviour has always been poor from when he was at Forestville to where he is now.

Reply #241650 | Report this post

FairGo  
Years ago

Do not judge ALL at Southern by the actions of a few. I have seen inapropriate behaviour from coaches, players and spectators from ALL clubs. The majority of those at Southern are committed, fair sports loving basketball players, coaches and parents. Unfortuantely incidents like this just encourage club bashers to have a go at everyone at Southern.
As a Southern club member I do NOT condone this behaviour and I am sure the club Executive will be addressing this matter with the relevant offenders.

Reply #241652 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

It is now fashionable to not shake hands after a game.... ask Lebron.

Reply #241653 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

lol nice one ESP!

Reply #241654 | Report this post

!!!  
Years ago

As the coach in question is on the committee I don't see it being handled at all is my opinion.

Reply #241656 | Report this post

FairGo  
Years ago

The coach in question is NOT on the Executive Committee!!!!

Reply #241657 | Report this post

What do you expect, it is the South

Reply #241658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairgo, but his wife is so it wil not be heard.

Reply #241660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southernn is a disgrace

Reply #241661 | Report this post

!!!  
Years ago

Didn't say he was on the exec committee. Just said he was on the committee which he is. Nothing will still be done. He'll still be the same next week and the week after so on. The ref's need to grow some you know what and tech him, send him out the stadium instead of being afraid of him. Letting him yell out cheat and so forth. If it was other people they would throw them out of the stadium. As they should! So why is nothing done to him because he has them bluffed and afraid of him. terrible job!

Reply #241663 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Seems if South Adelaide's Womens coach can do it in ABA, why can't BN?

Reply #241664 | Report this post

who!!!  
Years ago

(Mod: Keep the discussion as it's going for now. If you don't know who's being discussed, best you stay out of it.)

Reply #241665 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

!!!, which committee is he on??

And a few points on this...

a) Is this behaviour acceptable? No.

b) Has this happened before at other clubs in the last two years? Yes, and if you believe it hasn't, I have a can of striped paint to sell you.

c) Will this be discussed in the club? It should be, but what can they do (apart from talk to him about it) if there is no formal complaint apart from an anonymous poster.

d) If it wasn't Southern and a basketball personality, would this be discussed? Probably not.

I guess it's just another excuse to Southern bash, it hasn't happened in a while...

Reply #241670 | Report this post

allo allo  
Years ago

Southern/ Noarlunga / Glenelg have a very proud tradition in Adelaide.

They have a ( large )number of talented players who have been and gone trough that stadium.

They are drawing from a socio economic bracket that always presents issues that will never exist at Forestville / Norwood or Sturt.

In the main they produce players with courage and that certain bit of shit that is needed in our state junior teams and NBL teams that we all value.

While the events of the last weekend are regrettable, the development of the new stadium with possibly the best facilities in Adelaide, I hope will aid in the development and encourage a hard working band of volunteers that will prove positive for the development of SA basketball.

As a past player and coach at the club. I hope that the culture can be developed over the next 2 to 3 years as the club has so much to offer people living in the area.

Reply #241671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GenX,
What men and women do at senior coaching level along these lines is clearly wrong too. Some would argue not shaking hands after a game by a coach is petulant more than anything else but IMO it's blatantly poor sportsmanship.
At junior level,if we want kids to abide by the rules and take the good with the bad we don't need adults who can't control themselves in charge of young players calling others cheats.It sends very clear messages to the junior players that challenging official decisions is okay, bitching when you're beaten is okay and mouthing off at the officials is okay.
Every person who has ever coached, has at one time or another, for various reasons not wanted to extend their hand to the victorious coach but the vast majority know that with that handshake comes closure to hostilities.Kids see coaches shake hands win or lose and understand it's only a game.
Any junior coach who can't find it in him or herself to shake the opposition coaches hand after a game is involved in the game for the wrong reasons.

Reply #241672 | Report this post

Tigerbalm  
Years ago

Two sides to every story.
Southern coach has gone up to Woodville rival after every contest in past three years and for past year, Woodville coach has turned away, extending back of her left hand.
Hardly surprised he's fed up with such arrogance.
If you won't shake a person's hand properly, why should the right hand continue to be extended?
Btw, did notice Southern coach congratulating Woodville players on their great win.

Reply #241673 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

new stadium?... which has been in the works for... about 15 years right??...

Reply #241674 | Report this post

I have seen this particluar coach do this on a number of occasions. He just doesnt seem to be a good loser. but a competitive nature doesnt excuse poor sportsmanship at the junior, nay, any level.
It is unfair to critisise the entire club for poor behaviour on any given night. Sturt, forestville, Norwood, North these clubs arent critisised collectively when someone gets a tech foul or behaves inapropriately, its not fair to condem the whole for the actions of the parts.
As for genx's comments about another coach's behaviour I think you need to have a better understanding about the relationship between the coach and the referees involved before you make an ass of yourself.

Reply #241675 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Dear Wifey,

I think my point is rather relevant. If ABA coaches can call out to, argue with and generally bully the refs during a game, (espec. sat night when South won by 42) then thats sets a poor example too.

No-one is more visible a representative of their club than their senior coaches.

If you feel my comments still make me an ass, then "Eee-Ore".

Reply #241677 | Report this post

!!!  
Years ago

gen x coaches names & clubs aside I agree with you. Senior or junior not a good example at any level. The only people that can do anything about it during the game is the ref's and I think they need to crack down on this with them and anyone else how puts the game into disrepute on the spot when it happens.

Reply #241679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gen x you are a dickhead

Reply #241680 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

and these are the days of our lives lol, this is awesome.

Reply #241688 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I hope you were sitting around for the men's game Gen X as I was told from a parent of a South person who happened to be sitting down the Eastern side that the Men's coach did the exact same thing in the Men's game.
I really don't think you get out too much do you. Have you ever watched Goorjan coach? He is one of the biggest intimidators of umpires going around!

Reply #241694 | Report this post

me2  
Years ago

I really think spectators/parents also need to be looked at for setting an example for their children/ players with sportsmanship and fair play. I was at the Dome on Sunday watching my daughter and I saw on another court South Adelaide parents stomping their feet while the other team was shooting foul shots. Mind you I think the teams playing were probably U/12's which I think is quite disgusting.

Reply #241701 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Parents behaving badly? Never!

Reply #241710 | Report this post

In The Know  
Years ago

Did you also happen to look at the scoreboard at the time? Or just notice that it happened?

Reply #241712 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Is it just me or do these threads (which bag individuals and associations) see more anonymous posters, or unusual usernames than other threads? It seems everyone is "in the know" or has "no idea" and is quick to slag off people who they obviously encounter regularly.

Reply #241715 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

TC2, Agree!

Reply #241722 | Report this post

me2  
Years ago

In the Know

It shouldnt matter what the score was at the time or even whether it was a grand final etc it just shouldnt happen especially from the parents. This was a junior game possibly U/12 thats pathetic if you ask me.

Reply #241724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

allo allo, Noarlunga/ Glenelg has a long tradition which was destroyed with the merger. It should have never happened. Since the merger and the consistant shafting of good club people the club has gone to shit and will not recover. It will not matter how good the stadium is, people with the way the culture is, will not play there or after time will just leave. i guess only time will tell but we have been hearing how great things will be down there for long time and nothing ever happens.

Reply #241730 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

as far as i am concerned he is a arse ! time for him too go.... bye bye

Reply #241762 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

I think a new stadium will help some peoples poor attitudes. By generating interest in the stadium for the public and the club, hopefully they can boost visiting numbers at social and mini-ball levels and reap the rewards in club playing numbers and finical benefit.

Not that many years ago there was basketball on just about everyday.

All four courts;

Mondays 3-6 miniball 7-11 social/district
Tuesday 3-6 miniball 7-11 social/district
Wednesday 3-6 miniball 7-11 social/district
Thursday 3-6 miniball 7-9 district
Friday 3-6 miniball 7-11 district

Saturday 8-12 district + ABL

Compare those figures to now, and its not a great story.

Perhaps by creating some more club and stadium pride some attitudes may turn.

Reply #241765 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

couldn't have been a more disgraceful display of bad losers as was the sturt u16 girls on friday night in mount barker,trying to take out the opposition because they were the better team(once again)worst of all their coach allowed it.STURT....once such a respected club with talented coaches and players,now DISGRACEFUL.

Reply #241769 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

So why am I a dickhead?

If you know me then its prolly fair criticism, but to just ignore my argument and call me a dickhead with reasoning is pathetic.

Reply #241778 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

!!! - I believe a referee did take care of (or attempt to) the problem of people bringing the game into disrepute on Saturday night at M/Vale, and has been critisized for this, and been labelled as unprofessional. So I don't know how the referees are the only ones to deal with these problems...? Because if we do, we get bagged for it, and if we dont we get bagged for it... I dont think referees can win!

How about people grow up and realise why we are all there, to watch our children play the game they love, or to watch your senior club duke it out in the highest State League level who have teams created from these junior players within their programs.

Southern have a reputation for this, but I think all clubs should take notice and take responsibility for their actions and message they are sending their children.

My 2 cents...

Reply #241780 | Report this post

moose 60  
Years ago

saw this coach during state champs when Norwood point guard put up a 3 pointer from a long way out on the half time buzzer and air balled it he got stuck into her verbally as she walked off the court and in the second half when she took a charge from a big southern girl in front of the coaches bench that was not called by the reff he got stuck into the kid again for "flopping" I heard it from the other court,One day a dad will give him a slap and if she was my daughter that would have been the day ,This is not what a respected coach should be doing to a 15 year old girl ,it is wrong

Reply #241783 | Report this post

Giraffe 18  
Years ago

Don't think that the Eastewrn coach should be calling timeouts in the last minute when up 20 points.

thats called an F#ck you time out. Guess Sturt didn't like it.

Only thing worse than a bad loser, is a bad winner who tries to rub it in. Get what they deserved.

Reply #241806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giraffe 18,
that's called gamesmanship and though unpleasant when on the receiving end, is part of the sport that can be cruel. Did the coaches shake hands on the siren-sure they did.
Sturt have had a reputation for excelling in this kind of gamesmanship so getting a little back when is always on the cards.
Sturt players and coaches are getting more practice at losing of late so they need to get used to it.
What southern adult coaches are doing is small minded and setting poor examples to all juniors in the game.
Southern don't get their way and they bring out the 'cheat word'. Every club in the league thinks they get dudded at southern but havent heard too many coaches publicly state it for all to hear.
Southern coach needs to apologise and move forward.

Reply #241807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

807. If you're going to call a ($!* you time out, then you have to expect a response! It's that simple! Mavs started it, Sturt responded from what I gather. Mavs won but didn't win with class! I guess that's what happens when you get a little short term success, you don't know how to deal with it. What goes around, comes around and with the constant change due to poor sport parenting in this age group over the years I'm sure the wheels will keep turning, so enjoy your success while it lasts.

Reply #241810 | Report this post

leroy  
Years ago

Giraffe 18,

by writing - Get what they deserved." are you admitting to James (#241769) that thats how sturt played on friday nite... bad loser's, trying to take out opposition, as you would know that all happen previous to the time out.... so whats their excuse.

As they say...if the shoe was on the other foot the sturt coach would have done exactly the same thing.

Reply #241811 | Report this post

Edinburgh 92  
Years ago

Beat your bottom dollar Sturt coaches would not resport to an FU timeout.

Reply #241814 | Report this post

Edinburgh 92  
Years ago

And that the Sturt coach did shake hands,(if he did) shows as much.

Reply #241815 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

If a coach wants to call a time out at whatever stage in the game, he can do it. It matters little if he is down by 10 in the first quarter or up by 20 in the dying seconds. Anyone that wants to have a whinge about that is looking to invent some moral high ground as if it is going to make themselves feel better about getting their arses handed to them on a platter.

Reply #241831 | Report this post

Poor form  
Years ago

TC2, you are wrong. Yes there is a moral high ground, but it certainly wasn't invented on the weekend. It is very poor form and has been considered very poor form for a very long time. It is one of the worst things that a coach can do as it is rubbing the loser's nose in it. If you did it in Europe in front of any sort of crowd you would not get out of the stadium in one piece.

Reply #241835 | Report this post

Edinburgh 92  
Years ago

So TC2, what you are saying is that a team may use it's fouls in the first or last second of the game also?

Reply #241839 | Report this post

leroy  
Years ago

Edinburgh 92,

Sturt invented the FU time out ....what are going on about....

and TC2 we are not in Europe it was at Mt Barker

Reply #241842 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Edinburgh, yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I'm so glad you were hear to decipher my post. I mean, I know I was talking about nothing but timeouts but you successfully plucked my hidden meaning out of those couple of sentences and rephrased it to mention fouls. Thank you so much for your assistance, I wouldn't be where I am today without support like that.

Poor form, I wasn't saying it was invented on the weekend. I wasn't even talking about the weekend. I am saying that a coach can use a timeout if he wants to and if the opposition want to complain, they can do so, but deep down they know that it doesn't change the fact they just copped a reaming. And do we really want to take our moral cues from the coin-throwing, fire-starting European crowds? If you can tell me why it is poor form instead of just saying "you can't do that in Europe" then I'd be happy to listen.

Reply #241843 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Leroy, thanks for the geography lesson. Have you played Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? You'd be good at it.

Reply #241844 | Report this post

Poor form  
Years ago

"If you can tell me why it is poor form instead of just saying "you can't do that in Europe" then I'd be happy to listen."

I did you need to read ALL of what is written.

"It is one of the worst things that a coach can do as it is rubbing the loser's nose in it."

Ask the Mavs Under 14 Girls coach about it and he will give you a story of how when he was coaching at Sturt, a Nunawading coach did it to him and his team with 30 seconds left in a Classics final. This guy basically killed any national coaching ambitions he might have had in one fell swoop. This incident is still talked about some 10 years later.

Reply #241845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I started reading this thread and it didn't take long for it to bring in other unrelated clubs.

Seriously though all clubs, and I mean all clubs, have some coaches who at time you question the way they conduct themselves at games. These same clubs also have fine coaches who set great examples of sportsmanship to their players and others.

Who knows why the Mavs coach called a timeout. If it was to "rub the opposition noses in it" then he has to live with it. On the other hand he may have simply reminded his girls to be gracious towards the opposition when the game concluded. I don't care!

What frustrates me is the holier than thou attitude of SOME people (not all) from certain clubs. When they do something it is ok but when they are on the receiving end it is immoral!

Edinburgh/Giraffe there are coaches at your club which do the same type of things - every club has them. However, in my experiences these type of people are few and far between.

Reply #241846 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Even if it is rubbing the oppositions nose in it (which would depend entirely on the individual circumstances) then it's really clutching at straws to bang on about it as if "we may have lost the game, but at least we didn't....." is somehow going to make you feel better.
And really, if a coaching selection panel is going to destroy someones coaching career for such a ridiculous gesture then they need to have a look at themselves more than any coach who decides to call a timeout at the wrong time.

Reply #241847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the coach was concerned by the blatant sturt fouls that were being dished up throughout the game and then the sturt players laughing when they commited them, thinking it was some joke; this appeared to be the new tactic to put a better team off their game after coping a 50 point hiding at the Classics. The mavs coach may have wanted to make sure his players kept their head for the time remaining.
I went to see a good game of basketball by our top 2 U16 girls teams, one team tried to play basketball, the other would have been better suited to the football oval.

Reply #241848 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

To put it another way, if I was a coach who was about to get pumped by twenty, I'd be more worried about how I am going to get my team back on the winners list and not how the other coach used his final timeout when all I wanted to do was make an early exit from the stadium. Same goes for the supporters.

Reply #241849 | Report this post

Astrix  
Years ago

TC2,

Being a sook and running from the stadium is your response to losing?

Reply #241853 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

What is wrong with people here? How the fuck did you extraploate that gem from my previous post?

Reply #241854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm still trying to work that one out TC2?!?!

Reply #241855 | Report this post

Poor form  
Years ago

I am not saying that Sturt is holier than thou, they aren't! Mavs outplayed Sturt and have for the last few times, good on them. I am also not saying Sturt's response to the f*** you time out was good either, in fact it wasn't. Thugging is also very poor form.

However you must realise that calling a time out when you are well up in the dying stages of a game is considered very poor form not just in the south eastern suburbs of Adelaide but all over the world. It HAS cost coaches jobs. It is considered the height of arrogance and coaches that do this intentionally do themselves and their team great harm.

Another example of poor form which is particularly frowned upon in the USA is "running up the score" in the dying stages of a game. Google the coach in Texas who recently lost his job because of this. It was all over ESPN.

In Europe, if you are well up and take it ridiculously easy on your opposition like you are sorry for them, this is also considered poor form.

In development levels of basketball, it is also really bad to press an outmatched opposition to run up a score. It is etiquette to pull your defense back to the half or the keyway to allow the opposition at least some time with the ball.

There are things that are done and not done in every sport. These are just a few of the "not dones" in basketball.

Reply #241857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is poor form depending on what is the purpose of the time out. If it is to take the heat out of some unsavoury on court antics then I say well done - the coach has a duty of care to protect the children under his care.

If it is to belittle an opponent then I agree it is poor form.

But this item should be discussed generally and not mentioning clubs as all clubs have had instances of doing this. To say run down Mavs only is in my opinion the pot calling the kettle black!

Reply #241858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "thugging" was well before the timeout, so can't blame their thuggery on the last timeout.

Reply #241860 | Report this post

Poor form  
Years ago

Agreed.

Reply #241862 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Poor form, wasn't the coach who got sacked a victim of political correctness? He was the coach of a religious school, he played against a school for slow learners, he pressed the whole game and thrashed them, then apologised, but was still sacked the next day? Or is there another case?

I understand why it can be perceived as being unsportsmanlike but as I said, if anyone is truly worried about that over getting pumped by a better team they have their priorities wrong.

I also don't believe it is the height of arrogance at all. It may be to rub it in a little but there are plenty more things that could happen that I would consider to be more arrogant.

Reply #241863 | Report this post

Poor form  
Years ago

Agree with all you say, but I am just saying that culturally in the USA it is just not done at any level from Little League to the Superbowl.

Reply #241864 | Report this post

Flinders 91  
Years ago

TC2,

What you believe and what everybody else believes may be different.

The coach you are thinking about got sacked because he pressed and team that was from a mentally challenged school all game. I assume you think that is OK as well. Something else that the Mavs do.

Scott Fisher got in heaps of trouble in his last year for this very thing. The Townsville coach and he got into it after the game and in the press comference.

Reply #241866 | Report this post

cherry ripe  
Years ago

to shake or not shake is the debate
personally i am a shake man - its the right thing to do
no more dribble guys simple shake

Reply #241868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we are overlooking something here, on past performances the sturt coach has normally left the stadium by this time in the game!

Reply #241869 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Flinder91, you're a dickhead. I said nothing of the sort that the coach's actions were ok. He apologised and I thought that was good enough. He still got sacked though but it wasn't because he called a timeout.

Fisher didn't get in heaps of trouble. Joey Wright had a whinge because he got thrashed. In fact, Wright's behaviour at the game just further proves my point that people whinge about it because they think taking the oral high ground will make them feel better about getting whooped.

Reply #241871 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isn't there a coaches code of ethics for BSA coaches?

Even though the opposing coach may be a total tool and done things to get under your skin, still shake after the contest.

Doing all those sorts of thing like arguing with the ref, running down the clock, being a pain in the backside, and generally getting under the skin of the other coach is "cunning coaching". Is it ethical? Some say yes, others not.

I reckon a lot of "Cunning coaches" probably pulled the wings off of flies to make waks when they were younger.

Let's not forget that in underage basketball cattle stations are not up for grabs. IMO, shake, shake, shake

Reply #241874 | Report this post

FUTO  
Years ago

Edinburgh 92, 241814,

I'll take that bet buddy. I've seen multiple sturt coaches call TO's in the last minute of games (when up by large margins) over the years, once when they were up by over 100!

So don't try and play that one mate, they wrote the book on the FU Time Out. They give a copy out to every new coach at the club.

Reply #241875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

because they think taking the oral high ground will make them feel better about getting whooped.
"oral high ground" is typo of the day.

Reply #241877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ouch

Reply #241880 | Report this post

Flinders 91  
Years ago

TC2,

Resorting to name calling shows class IMHO.

If you think calling a FU timeout is OK, what is not to say you think that running up the score against mentally challenged kids isn't? Obviously that coach thought that making his kids play left handed and not defend in demeaning. Other people thought not.

I hope Joey didn't take the oral high ground, not an image any of us would like to see.

Again, you may not see the problems associated with it. But if it causes problems, and it is the cause, it would be easier to do the right thing rather than call a timeout.

No FU timeout = no need for a response. When the 2 teams have played previously, there was none of the "thuggery" like last week. The only difference was the actions of 1 coach. When being down previsouly, the other teams hasn't responded like they did, even when down big at classics.

Reply #241882 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

If you want to take the most extreme case of poor sportsmanship and attribute to me just because you don't like what I am saying, you don't deserve more than being called a dickhead. How you came to the conclusion that I enjoy seeing slow learner kids getting smashed just because I have no issue with a simple timeout is just ludicrous. Go and have a think about it and come back when you're ready to say you were way out of line.

The problems I see it causing are people getting shitty for no reason. They are upset because their team lost, they are sore losers, so they look for a ridiculous reason to rubbish the coach and team that just gave them a bath.

Reply #241883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would think that the thuggery should be the issue not the time out. If my team were being mugged and I was way up then I'd call a time out too and just invite my bench to observe but not feed the animals.

Reply #241890 | Report this post

same  
Years ago

true true....totally agree

Reply #241902 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

From what I saw, before the time out, Eastern had 2 players fouled out, with some pretty series fouls, to Sturts 0.

Any thuggery was triggered by the timeout, and was from both teams.

Reply #241915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what game you were watching "anon", but it wasn't the one at mt barker. But your post did make me laugh.......just like the sturt girls laughed every time they thugged a mavs player, including the 2 handed push on a mavs player into the sturt bench.
As was posted earlier they should have been on a different playing arena.
The timeout as mentioned was with a minute to go, the sturt thuggery was going on all match. Unless sturt can predict into the future I am not sure how that worked.

Reply #241926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sturt coach has to be accountable for allowing his girls to make a mockery of basketball by allowing this to happen. It was one of the most discraceful acts of poor sportsmanship I have seen.... just ask those present. If the girls weren't playing to his instructions, any decent coach would have benched them for a talking to, you don't commit a bad foul and then laugh about it on court with your team mates.

Reply #241929 | Report this post

SA sabres  
Years ago

And the best bit is they are about to represent our state in tasmania.

Thank god they have a soft draw, otherwise they would be our worst 16 group for years.

Reply #241932 | Report this post

Fox 36  
Years ago

What difference does a draw have to the competence of a team? Surely you mean potentially the worst result?

Reply #241934 | Report this post

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill. Its only a game for pity sake!

Reply #241946 | Report this post

Win a GF mate!  
Years ago

Sounds like the Tigers coach was having a great weekend last week.

He backed up his Friday night antics with his usual show of sportsmanship after his win on Sunday over his old club.

Keep on celebrating those little victories mate, they make up for all of those grand final losses I suppose.

Reply #241969 | Report this post

jack  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #242043 | Report this post

forrest gump  
Years ago

Hey Jack, you are a complete tool. I assume you are talking about my daughter at Aus Camp? You should be able to guess who I am Moron. Come and speak to me direct if you like. My girl busts her guts to get where she is,I'll provide you with photos of her bruises from her thuggery on friday night if you like. She was well protested by the 8 year old umpire on the night.

Reply #242046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to add to Forest's point about the wee lad who officiates at Mt Barker. It defies all logic to have this young man on court officiating and it makes district basketball at division one level a joke.
Surely players and coaches deserve more respect than to have a someone this immature calling the shots.

Every trip to the hills is made in the knowledge that only southern can replicate the unusual interpretations of basketball rules presented at the venue.

Reply #242049 | Report this post

jack  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #242050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruises must have been from taking other players out!

Reply #242052 | Report this post

hilly  
Years ago

you took the words out of my mouth

Reply #242054 | Report this post

forrest gump  
Years ago

Jack,all because of an invite to Aus camp? Struggles to get in the game? get off the grass fool.You clearly have no concept of the effort she puts in.I hope she and the team do well in Tassie and you can reflect on your comments. This forum is not ALL about cheap shots at 15 year old girls.Some on here make valid points worthy of reading. You sadly can remain an irrelevant tosser.

Reply #242055 | Report this post

truth  
Years ago

i agree totally forrest gump your daughter's not the first 15 year old to have cheap shots made against her, and certainly wont be the last.. if you thing about it you may have even done this in the past yourself.

Reply #242056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see the game but if there is any truth in it, blame the coaches who both seem to coach for themselves and their ego inflation.
The sturt girl you are talking about will have the last laugh and is a good prospect, irrespective of why she was selected ahead of others. Good luck to her.
Forest gump, don't take the bait.

Reply #242062 | Report this post

Amazing  
Years ago

It always amazes me how a Southern Bashing or any other club for that matter ALWAYS turns into a Sturt bashing - TALL POPPY SYNDROME ALIVE AND WELL IN SLEEPY HOLLOW HEY HILLYBILLY!!!

Reply #242063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how you can blame both coaches, when one coached his team to play basketball; and the other well...those present know what he expected from his girls. ahhh but I guess he miscounted his tech fouls this time only getting 1, which meant he had to stay and watch the loss; bet it hurt him more than it did the girls!

Reply #242065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah "Amazing" not Sturt bashing; Sturt did the bashing!

Reply #242068 | Report this post

Amazing  
Years ago

Go have a cry SOOK!!

Reply #242075 | Report this post

I wonder if the parents set the curfews for their daughters that play in these teams or vice versa. It is sad when the post from young kids are better than the post from their parents. Grow up both teams! Not the place for U16Girls posts.

Reply #242076 | Report this post

blah blah blah  
Years ago

blah,blah,blah.seriously the sturt players are like that because of their parents with ugly parent syndrome.get over it,you got beaten,who cares.sick of hearing about poor old sturt.

Reply #242086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are these seriously adults posting here? Sniping at an U16 player? No warnings from here, post trash and get banned. By all means, discuss things like last-minute timeouts in blow-outs or coaches shaking hands, but bring it down to specific junk about individual, junior players, and you will be removed from the site.

The bitching culture in and around junior basketball is just insane.

Reply #242135 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

LOL - at how pathetic some people in this thread are!!

Reply #242178 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Only 1 day until school holidays start. One would believe they began 1 week ago
We've gone from a non- handshake to U16 bashers protected by 8yo Green-shirts. Love your work.

Reply #242184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day most of the girls get along very well and are not interested in this rubbish. Considering that there were 8 state reps on the court it was a great game and the girls played well.

Reply #242586 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754