Anonymous
Years ago

Australia vs. China Game 2

Australia down 38-54 at three quarter time...

Topic #20344 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final score China 74 Aust 61

Reply #241936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jawai with 27 points, says JR.

Reply #241940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice

Reply #241941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trailing by sixteen points at three-quarter time the Boomers rode the broad shoulders and loud, large and angry presence of the Bamaga Behemoth Nathan Jawai to get back into the match.

Jawai threw down three huge dunks under heavy pressure in the fourth quarter as the Boomers hammered away at the lead until it was reduced to just five points when less than two minutes remained.
CHINA 74 (Wang Zhizhi 13, Li 12, Fy Zhu 8) bt
AUSTRALIA 61 (Nathan Jawai 28, Steven Weigh 6, James Harvey 5, Oscar Foreman 5)
in Benxi, China
China wins series 2-0
Sounds like the fact that most of these Boomers hadn't really played together as a team before had an impact. The BA press release notes that eight from the Chinese team played at the Beijing Olympics while none of the Boomers side had been to an Olympics or World Champs before.

For those who don't know much about the Chinese roster, Wang Zhizhi, who scored well for China in both matches, is a seven-footer with about 5 years of NBA experience. He's only 31-32, but looks about 40 - I think of him as a Chinese version of Paul Rees, using size and experience to his advantage.

Reply #241952 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I think for that team they are doing pretty well. They haven't had a lot of time together and seem to have a good mix of scoring. Obviously Jawai is a focal point inside.

The locals don't lose too many games in China ;)

Reply #241954 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rod, you're correct there. It's hard to bring it up without it seeming like sour grapes, but the referees blatantly cheat in these games.

Last year, it was interesting to sit near Andrew Gaze during the games and see our placid AU basketball hero fire up when the refs made a few calls!

Reply #241956 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"I think of him as a Chinese version of Paul Rees"...

lol at the image that one created Isaac..

Reply #241962 | Report this post

darwin in NBL  
Years ago

Stephen Weigh and Oscar Foreman were in the team, no wonder we lost.

Reply #241965 | Report this post

hhh  
Years ago

Box score?

Reply #241970 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

after Jawai's 28 how could the next highest scorer only have 6? Looks to me like some of the other players need to step up a little

Reply #241971 | Report this post

darwin in NBL  
Years ago

Can we start a "Sack Brett Brown" thread yet?

Reply #241978 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I would love to see a bit of footage of the games and some more in-depth reporting of the way we played. Jawai is clearly putting up dominant numbers, and yet we are losing! Are our wings just playing poorly? Is there a problem with Jawai not yet effective at finding the open man from the post?

It would be nice to get an informed perspective, so we can start to judge if Jawai is going to be just as great a threat in a fully-fledged Boomers team?

Anyway, overall it sounds positive, given that we have no-one who played at the last Olympics on our team, and we have been in both games.

Looking forward to Brown properly integrating Bogut, Jawai, Mills and Newley to take advantage of their strengths properly. If he can do that, it would make a nice change from the woeful game strategies the Boomers have employed for as long as I can remember - and yes that includes you Bazza!

Reply #242018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wouldn't be massively concerned about the results. This side hasn't really played together for long and the referees over there are seriously biased.

That was their Olympic roster minus two stars whereas we had more of a second to third tier Boomers squad.

In this second game, besides the 16 point first quarter deficit, they were even or won the remaining three quarters.

Reply #242023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754