DB5
Years ago

Dumars fires Curry

Joe D has shown Michael Curry the door after just one season and a 39-43 record. This will be 5 coaches come and go since 2000 when Joe D took over GM duties.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4297296

They mention Avery Johnson as a candidate, I could see Bill Laimbeer getting a run (shudder).

Thoughts?

Bizzy you are a Pistons man, what do you think?

Topic #20346 | Report this topic

darwin in NBL  
Years ago

Go Bill.

Reply #241966 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Laimbeer would be the emotional pick.

wow

Reply #241967 | Report this post

billups#1  
Years ago

This is great news, the way Curry benched Hamilton during the season to make way for Iverson was sending a wrong message to the veterans of Detroit which is why i believe they played below their potential all season long. Losing Billups also had a strong impact on them losing 20 + games then the previous season, but Curry's gameplan and his stubborness to persist with certain lineups in many games proved their ultimate downfall. I mean Detroit clean sweeped Orlando last year in all their meetings which highlights their depth and flexibility and also their potential.

Now for the new coach... Doug Collins anyone?

Reply #241977 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think this is a necessary move by Dumars. Curry had lost the locker room from all accounts.

I think they will be going for an experienced coach so I don't think Dumars will be signing Laimbeer - maybe as an assistant though.

Reply #241980 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Necessary move in terms of off season business. As above, AI starting was the clincher.

Not sure I'd like Bill in the seat though, as much as I love anyone associated with my beloved Bad Boys team.

Reply #241987 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I hate the Pistons, however I am suprised at a lot of Joe's moves in the last 12 months.

Doug Collins perhaps, but I don't think Detroit will go back to that.

Bizzy, would you want to see Avery and his Southern preacher voice as coach?

Reply #242000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please give it to laimbeer its about time we had another bad ass nba team

Reply #242014 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Jeff Van Gundy?

Reply #242015 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

Laimbeer won't even get an interview. Dumars didn't like him when they played together and little has changed since.

Laimbeer is highly unlikely to even get an assistant role anywhere this season.

I would think Avery is the leading candidate, but don't count out the likes of Chuck Person, Mark Jackson or even Doug Collins, who had the Chicago job until he pulled out.

Collins is desperate for one last run as a coach, but needs to change to suit modern game and players.

Van Gundy I think is enjoying his TV role too much, but that could change if the Pistons land a big signing early in free agency.

Kurt Rambis could be another smokey, but unlikely due to Pistons-Lakers rivalry.

Reply #242021 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Avery deserves another gig but he will not have the cattle that Brown & Flip had. Dumars got ahead of himself & forgot that it was the nucleus of players he had that won him 50+ games for 7 years straight.

Trading Billups was a joke! I feel sorry for the next coach as they are now back with the pack to stay.

Reply #242047 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Doug Collins just pulled out of the running for the job..

Reply #242170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:57 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754