ESP
Years ago

Ben Gordon to Pistons

5 years $55m..... Another step in the wrong direction, how long will Joe Dumars last at this rate.

Topic #20357 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

There going to have the some problem last year with AI and Hamilton. Unless Gordon knows he is coming off the bench. I guess if Gordon backs up both guard positions then there is enough court time to go around

Reply #242097 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

They have Stuckey too. If Rasheed also goes elsewhere, they will just be a whole team of guards.

Reply #242098 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Gordon finally gets the money he deserves! However, there is too many guards there.

Bulls better get someone otherwise they will struggle to score!

Reply #242099 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Villenueva also signed a 5 year deal with the Pistons worth 35 mil.

Is Charlie V really worth that much?

Reply #242100 | Report this post

darwin in NBL  
Years ago

Pistons not fans of true centres, just lots of power forwards and guards. I love Ben Gordon though, he'll help us, and by the way, we should trade Iverson for Patty Mills, the Pistons would be better off.

Reply #242101 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

"Bulls better get someone otherwise they will struggle to score"

I think it's the best move the Bulls could have made - addition by subtraction. Their biggest problem in recent years was too many guys wanting to be the man and now they have done something about it. Gordon was a selfish player and committed a hell of a lot of dumb fouls in the Celtics series.

I don't know of any other Bulls' transactions so far but a team with Rose, Deng, Salmons as the main focal points, with Thomas and Hinrich (and Noah and Miller, to a lesser extent) has got plenty of firepower.

Reply #242102 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Iverson is meant to be going to Charlotte from reports. Ben Gordon will just fill his role, shoot, shoot, dribble, don't pass, over dribble, and when in trouble, shoot.

Bulls really need to find a scorer, and now.

Reply #242103 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

We need a center and we need AI gone.

I was hoping they'd make a run at Hedo, but that looks less likely with Villenueva coming in.

Reply #242108 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Seems like an odd move by Dumars to sign Gordon for that much unless he plans on moving Hamilton soon?

I think it is a loss for the Bulls in the short term. They definitely have hurt their playoff chances this year. But they weren't going to win a championship, so I can understand them passing on that big a contract for an undersized shooting guard.

Charlie V is an interesting one. He will probably be solid value at $7 mill for a few years. I'm guessing Dumars thinks his scoring will keep people interested in the transition period until he can find his next franchise big man. The best thing about this news is that Charlie isn't going to the Cavs!!!

Reply #242113 | Report this post

billups#1  
Years ago

We are definately to guard heavy now, I suspect he will move hamilton on and try and trade for a combo guard/forward.... but WHO?? :(

Reply #242117 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

ESPN is reporting CV at $40 million over 5 years... I think Joe had a brain fart...... $35 over 5 is okay, $40 over 5 is over paying..

Trying to figure out what Joe is trying to build. He's going away from what bought the Pistons success.

Was CV a reach after Boozer didn't option out??

Reply #242142 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would have chased Gooden 1st personally. He is a free agent isn't he TR?

Reply #242145 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Gooden is a FA. I'd completely forgotten about him. He's sort of dropped off the radar (like his basketball IQ)

Reply #242151 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would love him back at Chi Town...

Dumars should have traded for Darko...lol

Reply #242152 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

It's crazy to think that Detroit won a championship and made the Eastern Conference finals all those years without Melo, Bosh or Wade. Imagine if they had drafted one of them instead!

Reply #242153 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I used to think Gooden might be a solid FA pickup, these days I'm not so sure. He didn't do much to improve the Spurs last year, and I can't think of a much better situation he could have landed in. Charlie V is no franchise player, but I would take him ahead of Gooden.

Boozer is clearly a different story. I think TR is probably right that Charlie was their second option behind Boozer. I don't know if it was a reach though. I think with a bit of stability, CV will be a reliable 18-20 ppg scorer for a few years, so $7-8 mill is not a terrible contract to live with.

So I imagine Dumars is thinking that he will still have a solid team that fans will support with guys like CV, Stuckey, Gordon, etc. until he can land that one exceptional piece - who would need to be a dominant big man - since ralistically you can only be successful with CV if your other big man is a dominant rebounder and defensive presence.

Reply #242154 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That's why I'm sort of confused.. Dumars built the Pistons on defense. CV is like a matador on defence and has difficulty in defending a lamp post. Gordon isn't that much better. Both Gordon and CV don't seem like Detroit type players.

They havw no anchor anymore, and there is zero front court. Well, not quite zero, but Kwame and Max won't scare anyone. I seriously hope Joe can trade away either Rip or Prince for a quality big man, and pray that McDyess resigns.

Maybe a Camby or Kaman for Price or Rip type deal. He'd better pull a rabbit out of his hat. There is no way the Pistons are making the play offs with their current squad.

Reply #242164 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I hope Ben really enjoys the dollars..

Reply #242169 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, if I were Rip or Tayshaun, I wouldn't be expecting to stay in Detroit much longer. He needs to shift both of them to land a quality big man, or at least clear cap space IMO. Always hard to trade wings for a top notch big man though.

As for the defence side, it is perhaps a little odd. That is why I tend to think CV and Gordon are transitional options to keep the team treading water while he tries to retool. Maybe he also thinks they can learn to play better defence in the Pistons environment.

Reply #242172 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

CV had one of the best defensive coaches last year in Scott Skiles. Skiles upgraded CV from being unable to guard a park bench to lamp post. A tree moves too much for CV to defend..

Rip or Price will definitely be moved. You don't pay $11 million a year for a 6th man.

Reply #242222 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Gortat to Dallas removes one option I was hoping for.

SI: Pistons' quick free-agent strikes promising first steps back to elite

Reply #242257 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Man Dumas is an idiot...how can he continue to make so many bad decisions and stay

Reply #242334 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Dumars*

Reply #242335 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I don't know Jules, add an extra 'S' to your typo and you've pretty much hit the nail on the head and it wraps it all up nicely.

Reply #242340 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Ha, niccce.

Reply #242345 | Report this post

gav  
Years ago

I almost feel sorry for pistons fans......almost.
Little Ben....ahhhh, if only you could pass, or defend, or make a decent decision with the ball, or were 3 inches taller........but man, he can shoot.

Will be nice now when Rose goes on his run of jumpers making 5 or 6 in a row, for him to get the ball back with no black hole benny on the court.

Bulls are really gambling on getting one of the big ones in FA next year. The cap space is there, now they just need to get one.

Ive had this argument a few times, but a Rose, Wade backcourt with a couple of 3 point shooters (yes salmons would be one) just has championship contender written all over it.

Bye black hole benny.

Reply #242579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754