Beantown
Years ago

ESPN - Lakers only offering MLE to Ariza

http://linky.com.au/0tah8

ESPN is claiming the Lakers are only willing to offer Ariza the MLE, and so Ariza is now seriously considering going to another contender for MLE - perhaps Cleveland.

Will be a big loss for the Lakers, but if I had to choose, I would choose Odom as well. They currently need him more, because Bynum is not a reliable enough option yet.

Topic #20364 | Report this topic

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

But Cleaveland can only offer the MLE too, right? So why would he go there? Wouldn't he have to go to someone with cap room, e.g. Portland, Memphis, Toronto if he wants over the MLE?

Unless they do a sign and trade with him from the Lakers, but that would be pointless as they would still take on salary.

I wouldn't pay Ariza much more that MLE anyway. Someone will overpay him.

Reply #242173 | Report this post

you play sort of ok defense in 5 games, and u get offered the MLE. what a stupid league

Reply #242181 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

If Ariza goes, the Lakers will push hard for Artest.

However, I think that Ariza will remain a Laker.

The Lakers always leave things to the last minute in terms of negotiations, just look at Bynum's deal this year. It never looked like it was going to happen, and at the last minute, boom, he's re-signed.

Remember Kobe's 7 year deal, he was ready to become a Clipper, only for the Lakers at the last second to offer him 7 year deal worth if I remember right 136 million.

Don't worry, he'll be a Laker. And if not, there is always Artest.

Reply #242182 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

You're kidding right elg?

He was the the game breaker in two Finals games on the offensive end and has definitely earnt his pay rise. Whether he can be as effective on a team with no Kobe to take his defender off him remains to be seen tho.

Reply #242192 | Report this post

earned*

and he can hit an open 3. good on him. so can i. give me $6m a year

Reply #242194 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ELG - Ariza is this year's James Posey. It is hard to say whether a role player is worth that sort of money, but the guy played solid D, came up with big steals and hit crucial (some open, I'll give you that) threes all through the playoffs.

Remember that this was only his first season without injury. A guy like that is hard to find, and now has a reputation as a seasoned championship player. His worth goes up if a team thinks he is the missing piece to a championship. You could argue that he did add the tough, scrappy defense the Lakers were missing last year - God knows Bynum didn't.

Re: Cavs only being able to offer the MLE, apparently Ariza was so pissed that the Lakers didn't want to pay him more that he would now leave for the same money. Matter of principle, I suppose.

He would fill a big gap at the Cavs.

Reply #242195 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Artest to the lakers would make them a better team than what they were with Ariza.
The should puch hard for Artest, then the player who has had the most sucess defending Kobe will be on his team.

Reply #242198 | Report this post

Years ago

He's only getting offered the MLE, because that's all he's worth.

Reply #242199 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Too bad he only wants to play for a contender I think Ariza would be the missing perimeter defender my Suns need.

Reply #242207 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754