Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sign Dave Thomas

"He's a perennial winner," said Lemanis of the 2.04m forward. "And it's not because he comes out and is a superstar. What he does is he fits into teams and finds a way to help them win.

"He can put points on the boards - I've seen him make plenty of big shots. But he plays defence, he gets the steal, he gets the critical offensive or defensive rebound, he'll go and shut down the opponents' best player. In other words, he finds a way to contribute.
Full article at Stuff.co.nz

They'll play him at PF/SF and are looking for a (presumably budget) second import to fill minutes at Centre.

Topic #20417 | Report this topic

paul roberts  
Years ago

Thats a huge step down in talent compared to the last couple of years in an import for the breakers.
Not sure why they would go with him.

Reply #242837 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

They only played with 1 import last year which was Rickert and they are still going to sign another one. Thomas is virtually taken Phill Jones' spot along with Abercrombie

Reply #242843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extremely good signing by the Breakers. Dave Thomas is a winner. Full stop, in college he won with Michigan State, he has been an important part of team Canada's attempts to make the international scene and everyone knows what he was able to do with the Tigers. Don't forget the ability he has on both ends. He can score 16+ per game no worries, but he is not that guy. He plays ball

Reply #242866 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Big Sexy, you could argue the point CJ played for the Breakers in place of a import. He was definitely paid Import type money.

Im not sure of this signing, he is a really good team guy from all acounts, but and has been a winner. The key there is 'HAS BEEN', im not sure if his injuries with his knees and/or back are not degenerative ones?? He made some huge plays against the Breakers in the semi, but is he fit enough to play major minutes again?

Reply #242867 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Nino,
CJ will still be there this season as well

Reply #242868 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's right, CJ is back, has apparently had some big Euro offers after his excellent stint in Israel, but I think only the NBA would pry him away from the Breakers.

Reply #242872 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Wow news to me, i heard CJ was locked into stay in Israel after ripping it up. Breakers should be tough again this season. And im so thankful Rickert is not in the league, that aeroplane jelly impersination at the end of the elimination final sealed his fate!

Reply #242896 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

CJ will be back, the lifestyle in NZ and at the Breakers is way better than a country that routinely has rockets fly into it from next door.
Dave Thomas only has to contribute a bit here and a bit there to be successsful, sure in the past the Breakers have had exciting athletic imports that can score 30+ points a game, too bad they have been dicks (for the most). Breakers are concerned just as much about a players values and personality as they are about their fitness and talent.
My only concern is Thomas's injuries, it's not as if NZ need him to come in and lead the team and play huge minutes.
Rick Rickett was a good player for NZ and contributed alot on tha court, I would have had him back.
Now if only we can get a cheap centre

Reply #242911 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Still approx $120-140K to spend on a centre I think. For a kid coming out of college that would seem like decent money (approx US$100K).

Reply #242912 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DT was the premier import in the league 4-5 years ago, and would have been my first pick for any team. But that was 4-5 years ago. Still could be a useful piece, as he compliments the players around him so well.

Reply #242920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754