TR
Years ago

Marion to Dallas

It appears that Dallas, Toronto and Memphis have agreed to a 3-way trade.

Dallas gets Marion

Stackhouse to Memphis, along with $2 mill for Stackhouse's buyout.

Toronto will receive draft considerations and/or cash

Have Dallas done enough to push again???

http://linky.com.au/mucff

Topic #20418 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Also appears that the Cavs have resigned Varejao to a 6 year contract worth $50 million.

Dumb a$$ move there.... That is a serious reach...

http://linky.com.au/77902

Reply #242826 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

Varejao has got to be the most annoying player to ever watch.

he is worth 7 mil a year at best.He just runs around being the hustle king.

Uncredibly over paid !!

Reply #242828 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Uncredibly? is that even a word? I think i agree either way ;) Its not soccer...stop flopping!

Reply #242832 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Raptors got Devan George and Antoine wright.

Raptors have done AWESOME this postseason.

Covered every weakness (DeRozan, Turk, Evans, and the two newest members), cleared cap, got a bargain on Bargnanis extension, and made sure if Bosh does leave they are still in a good position.

Reply #242833 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That's a good deal for the Raptors then Jules.

Flipping an overpaid Marion for two guys that will come in and be able to play on the wings really helps fill out the thin bench.

BC has sort of pulled a rabbit from the hat. If there is room to fit in Delfino or a better backup PG than Banks then I think BC has had a great off season.

They don't need a fire sale on Bosh to cover holes. I think the reduced cap will actually help the Raptors retain Bosh.

Reply #242835 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Definately...Colangelo keeps his rep as one of the best GM's in the league! I thought he was in trouble for a bit there...

Ric Bucher: "Raptors with far and away the best offsesaon"

Loving it...long wait till the season.

Also the general idea is that with a starting unit that good, the bench doesn't need any big guns, just guys to fill roles and benefit from the play from the starters. This is seen a lot with every good team.

Reply #242839 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Let me just say I'll be cautiously optimistic. I've been excited for the Raptors for many years prior to the season and they've let me down - I'm hoping this year is different.

Reply #242840 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Seems like a few teams are starting to get a bit desperate. A few samples of odd moves starting to go down in the last 24 hours...

1) Why would Memphis get involved here? Is Wallace expecting a favour down the track for helping out BC and Cuban?

2) What is Dallas' plan? Are they planning to run Dirk at centre with Howard and Marion as SF and PF? Gortat off the bench for Dirk, or starting against bigger teams? Or will they expect one of Howard/ Marion to come off the bench? I'm a bit unsure how well this will work - have to wait for the season!

3) Cleveland have way overpaid for Varejao - a Villanueva/ Channing Frye type would have been much more useful for them because they can shoot!

4) Blazers are reportedly chasing Millsap now and I can't see Utah letting them have him for any less than about $8-9 mill. Why would they want to pay that much for someone to backup Aldridge? Only thing I can think of is that Blazers think Oden is a bust and want to play Aldridge at centre, making room for Millsap at PF. There have bee rumours here and there about Oden, but I really can't believe they would give up on him after just two injury interrupted seasons!

5) Rumours that, despite the Grizzlies staff being against it, owner Heisley is still considering making an offer to Iverson! (Who was that guy they drafted to play SG again?!?!)

6) Another bizarre rumour that the Blazers would do a sign and trade for Lee, giving up Blake and Outlaw. See above for why Lee is an odd fit! To make this doubly loopy, Blazers would be giving up their starting PG and one of their best scorers in Outlaw! Would love this to happen, because it brings Patty Mills closer to getting playing time, but I just don't see why the Blazers would do this!

Reply #242842 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

This deal is actually better than I though. This deal also now allows the Raptors to use the full MLE and bi-annual.

BC has most definitely pulled 4 of a kind to beat a full house.

Reply #242844 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Haha, thats what I was wondering, I kept reading that but I was like, surely that isn't true.

Why do they keep the MLE?

Reply #242845 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Beantown,

Just a suggestion, do you that Howard might start at SG and Marion at SF. That allows Terry to come off the bench where he is most effective and keeps both Howard and Marion happy.

Reply #242846 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Orlando is actually involved.

They have agreed to trade Hedo to the Raptors and received a trade exemption to the tune of $8+ million and 'future considerations' which could be somethng as simple as swapping 2nd round picks in 2099. I think this puts them over the salary cap, thus gives them the MLE and bi-annual.

I think that's how it works, it's getting confusing...

Reply #242847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly Varejao is overpaid, just a little. The reason I say just a little is because he is the type of player whom every coach wants..That guy that doesn't have athletic prowless, but will come in get rebounds, play physical defence and hustle like crazy, block shots and set good screens for players like Lebron and Mo to get open.
Varejao's importance to the Cavs roster should not be underestimated.

Reply #242850 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

"That guy that doesn't have athletic prowless, but will come in get rebounds, play physical defence and hustle like crazy, block shots and set good screens for players"

That sounds like a Scalabrine, Madsen type of player and definitely not worth $50 million. Varejao is a MLE player, maybe a tad more, not an $8 mill + player.

Ferry is on crack.....

Reply #242853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think and hope that Dallas will start Kidd, Howard, Marion, Nowitzki and Dampier/Gortat then bring Terry in as 6th man and their rookie point guard. Hopefully re-sign Bass and thats a contending team right there!!

Reply #242856 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Thats it TR - I think your right.

Just read that.

That would be sweet

Reply #242858 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Raptors do well in that trade, I think Wright is very underrated. I kinda like that they seem to have stabilised their team now and have some good young talent to put around Bosh. I don't think Bargnani's contract extension was a bargain but it's a shitload better value than Varejaos who I wouldn't even offer the full MLE too. I don't watch enough of Dallas to really know how Marion will fit in there but I doubt he puts them over the top.

I still think the Spurs have had by far the best off season yet but Toronto are definitely heading in the right direction.

Reply #242859 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Read somewhere that the Spurs signed Antonio McDyess. If so another great move by the Spurs this off season!

Reply #242862 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Correct, Dice is a Spur.... Detroit is a sinking ship..

Reply #242870 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

dice is well on his way out, villanueva is a capable replacement. Getting gordon with an already shooting guard heavy team was madness unless trading iverson and/or stuckey, hamilton mite be an option.
Dumars did a sydney swans 2005 in '04, not superstar heavy but good as a team.

How crap is new jersey now?

Reply #242883 | Report this post

noah  
Years ago

I like the fact that Dallas was able to somehow convince Toronto to take Deavan George(sp??) in the trade.

Reply #242885 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

why does san antonio have to be good all the time. It seems that gms are willing to give away their good players to the spurs for virtually nothing in return. It has happened with Jefferson, Mcdyess and mason.

Reply #242891 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

bron - McDyess was a free agent, the Bucks wanted to dump Jeffersons salary and Mason had a breakout year leaving Washington.

Reply #242895 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

AK-47, you're right, just read an article suggesting Howard will play guard for the Mavs. I don't watch much of Dallas, so I didn't realise Howard could realistically play guard. Assumed he'd be a little too slow, but perhaps he can make up for it with his length.

If Howard can successfully play guard, I think I will have to watch Dallas a bit more this season. They could be quite an exciting, up tempo team with Kidd pulling the strings!

Reply #242903 | Report this post

Years ago

Josh Howard is only 6'7" and 210lbs. He just plays bigger than he is.

Reply #242906 | Report this post

cj  
Years ago

did carter sign with the mavs?

Reply #242914 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

The Blazers appear to be in trade talks that would create a 3-team trade with Chicago and Utah.

Word is that the deal would send Hinrich to the Blazers, Boozer to the Bulls and Tyrus Thomas to the Jazz + fillers required to match salaries.

I think the Jazz are trying to move Boozer so they can keep Millsap and the Blazers are really trying to upgrade at the PG position.

Reply #242916 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Which Carter are you talking about??

If it's Vince then no. He was traded to the Magic.

Reply #242922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754