Isaac
Years ago

36ers to trial import John Gilchrist

John Gilchrist arrives Sunday for 36ers pre season training

The Adelaide 36ers are excited to announce that USA point guard John Gilchrist is to trial with the club as part of their search for the right player to lead the team on the floor this season. John has been identified as having the necessary skills and character for the position and as such the 36ers have taken steps to view him first hand by inviting him to be part of the pre season training squad. Pre Season training starts Monday the 13th at 10 am at the Dome, Findon.

36ers Head Coach, Scott Ninnis " I am very excited about having someone of John's caliber coming to Adelaide to trial with us. We have viewed countless hours of him playing and have had many phone discussions with him and feel that he has all the attributes to be an outstanding on court leader in the NBL. We believe the opposition teams will have great difficulty in stopping his inside scoring abilities and he is also a tenacious defender with a solid body to match. The fact that John is prepared to come here for a 2 week trial shows that he is someone of character and has the confidence to back up the skills we have seen on video in person."
This training session is open to the public and media with players and coaching staff available for interviews, photographs and autographs at the trainings conclusion at 12pm.

Obviously everyone will rush to Google - the word around the net seems to be that he's good, but got ahead of himself before being drafted and slipped out of consideration. I guess if you want the higher level of talent for the price, you take what comes with it (see Carlos Powell, Julius Hodge, etc). Definitely sounds worth trying out though - may have matured?

Wikipedia: John Gilchrist (Basketball)

Topic #20428 | Report this topic

Olaf  
Years ago

"We believe the opposition teams will have great difficulty in stopping his inside scoring abilities"

Is that code for he has a jumper like Ulius Hodge?

Reply #242936 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Hope he is a great defender, he will need to cover Ng's man as well as his own.

Reply #242937 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He shot 39% from long-range during college: more stats.

Reply #242938 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

After a bit of googling, it seems he has exited / been released from contracts on a regular basis.... hmmm.

Reply #242939 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I hope he puts up Gilchrist like numbers!

Reply #242940 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac for this info.
Whilst smallish and not a helluva great history but probably as a cheaper import will have to trust coaches judgement.
Hope works out well

Reply #242941 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Seems to be a bit of a journeyman that doesn't last too long in one place, but obviously has talent given his college career.

You have to give the 36ers full credit that they are trying him out befoe agreeing to sign him. Lets hope he is a gun & fits in well.

Reply #242943 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Trust coaches judgement?

The only import they've gotten right was Hodge, and that was an obvious replacement. Tyndale and Grizzard were hapless.

Stephon Marbury :) Seriously Bobby Jones... he's on the Blazers summer league team.

Reply #242944 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

What sort of cash would he demand? and how many points? Would he be a 10??

Reply #242945 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

yes he would be a 10.

He's been playing D-League for the past 2 seasons with a few 10-day contracts which are nice cash bonuses. Didn't get any 10-day contract last season though... so money might not be an issue?

Reply #242946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP of ACC Tournament, beating Chris Paul's team and Hodges NC State - pretty impressive

Reply #242947 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Bobby Jones would be a great pick up if the club could afford him.

In saying that if we can get Ingles & Gilchrist works out I reckon that would be a solid option as well.

Reply #242950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Headcase seems to be the common criticism, but like I said, worth checking out.

Bretts the man - how is 6'3" undersized for a point guard?

Reply #242951 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

He looks the goods to me! I like the fact that he is good at stealing the ball.

Being a Journey man doesn't worry me at all. Hodge got released from his team before first coming to Adelaide. Same with alot of other imports. Doesn't mean they are bad but rather that they don't really suit that particular game in Europe. Obviously if these players were doing extremely well in Europe they would never come here.

Reply #242953 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Jake,

Bobby Jones would be good as a SF/PF??. No chance ingles will play for the 36ers. His ego would not allow!!

Lets go with Bobby Jones and Gilchrist. That would be ok.

Reply #242954 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

There is two John Gilchrist Journey stories on You Tube.

Part 1

http://linky.com.au/fhdnr

Part 2

http://linky.com.au/yzfcu

Reply #242956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bobby Jones would play PF, SF, and SG in the NBL. He would only be able top lay the 3 and 2 in NBA.

Reply #242960 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I thought someone would challenge me on the height thing . Sorry dreaming of another Darnell who added so much extra to our team.
Think if we go with this guy or similar then other import should be a bigger type Fwd not a Inglis .
Also hate to see us waste time trying to tie up Inglis and lose him like Newley .
Inglis hasnt in last 2 yrs had the impact in NBL to the levels of his talent so probably needs to do Euro thing

Reply #242965 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

So far our team is

C: Burston
PF: Ballinger
SF: Holmes (or other import)
SG: Ng
PG: Gilchrist

Bench

SG/SF: Hill
SG: Herbert

If we get Sturt as back up center then we need to get a SF import (if we have the money) that is a slasher and a good defender. Also need a back up point guard.

So far so good.

Reply #242966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng wont start - another import for SG starting spot

Reply #242968 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, don't get ahead of yourself. Gilchrist isn't signed, they're just bringing him out to see how he goes first.

Reply #242969 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

haha sorry my bad. Surely you would think he is a 90% chance then. Its exciting friday news regardless :)

Reply #242970 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

My first thoughts on reading about this guy were:-

Rick Brunson.

That would be pretty good I think

Reply #242975 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Just with his height. With him not being a taller guard, you would think that Bruce resigning looks less likely.

Reply #242977 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Surely we are going to be a bit small if our 2nd import is a SG let Hill and NG etc fight for starting spot.

Reply #242978 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Headcase hey Isaac, could be an interesting ride :)

We had a bit of a nut bag up here in Jason Crowe 2 seasons ago. His best was awesome but he did have some horrible games as well. If you can find the right motivating factors for these type of players there are huge rewards - get it wrong though and it can be very very bad.

Id say the coaching staff have seen all they need to talent wise from this guy but want to get him out here - out of his comfort zone of home - to see how well he copes with his new team mates, new game style and being in little old Adelaide. If he is happy to buy into the culture that Scott is tryingto bring into the team he will be the man, if not onto the next option.

The teams in teh early Smyth years had awesome chemistry and the results showed - lets hope that sort of attitude is back again this season.

Reply #242984 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

bretts, if they're going for a scorer who'd play SF or SG, how would that necessarily make the side a bit small? Doesn't really matter if he plays at SG or SF - he'd still be the same height.

Reply #242986 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I believe we need to get a bit more size into team and if I said we wanted a big PF type all would have jumped on me saying have Ballinger so Isaac a Grizzard size type plyr that can get inside , Def and rebound and shoot what I believe req.
Grizz. fitted into structure ok just could not score when pressure was on.
Espec. as have a feeling our C might have to be our U-23 plyr .
As I understand the U-23 plyr have to be in the 10 or can he be in dev. group.

Reply #242992 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

brett's the man (sorry, I couldn't bring myself to type it without the apostrophe) - you do realise that this guy is actually taller than Brett himself? I hope he can be the man too, 6-3 is a decent size for an NBL point and his tattoos will give him the extra intimidation factor over any tattooless opponents.

Reply #243013 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Might just head down there on Sunday...

Bruce is no chance if this guy's signed.

I reckon Ninja, Hill and Herbie combined could handle the SG duties so an import SF should be next.

ESP, come on man, enough Ng-bagging already, wait 'til the season starts at least.

Reply #243019 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Good point on the tatts billo, it was amazing watch the fear in the eyes of opponents last season when they matched up on Dan Joyce with his ink

;)

Reply #243020 | Report this post

D.Rose#1  
Years ago

Hes actually quite good. Im surprised the NBL in its current state can attract such players.

Reply #243022 | Report this post

piriepanthers  
Years ago

http://linky.com.au/o5hpv

A dude on there seems to be in the know and it seems Gilchrist is a good bloke, had a run in with a coach and went all downhill.

Reply #243027 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Statman, if you can judge a book by its cover, Gilchrist looks tough and mean. Hope his game matches. Daniel Joyce with or without his tattoos still looked small and harmless.

Reply #243029 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Statman, spot on about chemistry and intangibles. That's why you could make a good case that someone like Dave Thomas is a better import than the likes of Julius Hodge or Carlos Powell.

And Rose, the NBL has always attracted well above it's $$$ because of the high standard, free flowing style and lifestyle in Aus/NZ.

And given Gilchrist would be getting offered US$150K plus, and there are far more good Americans looking for jobs that pay that well than there are jobs.

Not all Euro jobs are big bucks, remembering Aaron Bruce got offered a bit more by Adelaide than he was by Euro clubs.

Reply #243032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes EC thats y he tortched the sixers this past season...

Reply #243039 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Hey "bretts the man"

So you are the reason we didn't sign Ingles ?

Reply #243040 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Gilchrist sounds great, very exciting prospect, he sounds like he beat out, or was at least at the level of Julius Hodge in college and we saw how dominant Hodge was in the NBL, so he sounds like he is a real talent and if he can fit in well with the team i reckon we may have found our selves a good import!
The fact he is a fresh face to the nbl also adds excitement IMO.
Well done guys hope it turns out well!
The fact they are not going to the summerleague at all does that mean they also have a 2nd import in line or are confident in adding say a ingles instead of a 2nd import??

Reply #243041 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Jonno, I was thinking the same thing either they already have an import that the know (Darden, Smith or Grizzard) or they are going to sign a decent Australian (Rush or Ingles). The last option is that they don't have enough money to sign another import or a marquee Australian.

Reply #243043 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hey elite that would go down as one of the most pathetic posts ever. How long did it take to come up with that. Really elite.
Who says he wont sign yet anyway
There is still a import spot he could take .
I wasnt bagging him just voicing my opinion on make up of squad.
Billo love your thoughts re height already explained
was dreaming of another Darnell.
Are you sure taller than Brett but this guy sounds like got talent just hope he finally finds a real fit here at Sixers which will be great for both him and team.

Reply #243044 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Regardless of who they have lined up in addition to Gilchrist, I would still have suggested that Ninnis make that trip for a back up to Gilchrist in case he doesn't turn out to be what is needed. What happens in 2 weeks time if Gilchrist is not suitable? (Not trying to jinx him either but you would think in view of recent experience with imports that you would be a bit more careful). 2 weeks lost and closer to the start of the season without the import positions filled. Then we start the jelling problems because of shortage of time. Once again I am sure cost comes into it but the trip was planned and budgeted for anyway.

Reply #243054 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I'd say that a call was made between seeing a guy with a solid resume train for two weeks with the team was too good an oppotunity to pass up. Maybe one of the coaches could have gone to the US?

Reply #243056 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Xztatik, Ok.... until the season starts! seeing as you asked nicely..... I actually hope he proves me wrong.

Reply #243064 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Bretts the man....obviously that one went over your head ?

You spelt his name Inglis.

Relax brother...

Reply #243065 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its okay if Bretts calling Ingles Inglis - it fits nicely with 'Jose' which I've been calling him ever since the box scores at last years Olympics had him as Jose! ;-)

Hope the Sixers can bring Jose home. Would be great to have a highly talented local like him return to don the Sixers colours.

I'm also hopeful that whatever it is that keeps Gilchrist bouncing from one club to the next in Europe comes to an end with the Sixers. Based on what he did for the Terps a few years back, the guy can ball. We just gotta hope he can get on with his team mates!

Reply #243074 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Beantown if Ingles returns its lucky we don't have Smyth anymore as he would still want him as a development player :P

Reply #243086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754