Gheorge Muresan
Years ago

New coach needed for Pioneers

**SPOILER ALERT**

This will not surprise many in the SEABL competition, but the disastrous two years for the Pioneers and coach Ray de Wit is coming to an end.

The club now has a great chance to actually chase a fully qualified coach who has had experience at this level, not the local junior level.

He promised the world, but delivered little. What ever happened to the junior academy he was going to develop and run?

He said the 08 side lacked quality. What about this season? Two Americans were brought in, Andrew Rice came to town and Tariq Naqqash was meant to be one of the steals of the season!

The thing about coaches is if they are out of their depth, bringing in quality players only highlights this fact.

I couldn't help but read what was in the local paper today and laugh.

"De Wit said the Pioneers were hurt by too many narrow losses, some coming from the last shot of the game.

"When it comes crunch time, generally the team that has been together for a while knows what to do and gets over the line," de Wit said.

How about teams that have offensive and defensive plans and actually practice their last possession plays get over the line?

How about the fact that the side doesn't work on fundamentals at training and relied on a certain assistant coach to draw up plays during the game?

And he goes on to say the side was hurt by player turnover.

Hang on - he was the one that recruited duds Jim Cochran, Tristan Parham and Tariq Naqqash. Who's fault is it??

Topic #20480 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

I have no idea about that team or anything about them but was just wondering what was Tariq Naqqash numbers like??

Reply #243433 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

Average numbers, about 12ppg - more turnovers than assists. Came to town with massive ego and was touted as the best thing to happen to Pioneers for long time.

The guys I play in local league with say the team don't respect him and he will be gone at end of season.

Mainly used off the bench 15-20 min

Reply #243440 | Report this post

noah  
Years ago

Do you reckon Jason will come back any time soon. If not, i'm throwing my support behind the bearded sensia (sp??), Mr. W Kettle. At least he would demand respect from his players. Don't reckon he would take up the position readily though.

Reply #243445 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The championship coach - Sonia Knight should step back in?

Reply #243453 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

I think the club needs to look outside of MG. After this experience there is bad taste in lots of people's mouths.

Someone from Adelaide or Melbourne who is prepared to move to the MT might be a tough task, but not impossible.

The players will respect the next coach as long as he respects them and puts the time into developing a game plan.

Having said that, there are a number of local coaches who could help bring the team back up to respectability. Its interesting times - at least there are no board members who say they can take the job on! Then again, you never know with that lot.

Reply #243457 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

What about the coach of South Adelaide? A former Pioneer player?

Reply #243459 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

Could be a possiblilty for the Big guy to return, but does he want to? Only just moved to Adelaide. My guess is he would stay in Adelaide, but he has the credentials and would go some way towards re-igniting interest in the team.
I would like to see it.

Reply #243464 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I hear Carlo the A/C for Norwood is going to or has already applied and from all reports, already interviewed!

Reply #243493 | Report this post

searching  
Years ago

How about Kym Hammond. He has been passed over twice by less experienced players, definitely has the respect of the current players as well as Mount Gambier Basketball. Plus he has been there as an assistant coach with John Burns, Sonya Knight and Jason Sedlock! Surely he is ready to step up.

Reply #243521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pioneers side this season is the worst I have ever seen in my 13 years invoolved in the SEABL.

Reply #243539 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

having seen the pioneers play a game here in tassie, you could see a lot of the issues that plague this team.

Dallas spent most of the night swearing about the coaching (or lack thereof). I was surprised to see that the coach brought the whiteboard with him for the trip, as it remained unused all night. I could see this, as I sat behind the Pioneers' bench.

Overall, it did not look like a team that any harmony, cohesion or respect for the coach or each other.

Keep mason, russell, seebohm and start again.

Reply #243551 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

So Carlo being in Mt Gambier for the Dandenong game must have been pure fluke...?

Reply #243582 | Report this post

tripod  
Years ago

is parents live in the mount and he grew up there. Applied for the job same time as ray ray and was promissed an interview and never got one. Seems the process was little flawed.

my plann would be quit seabl, one american, local players only, keep rice, mason, kurt and seeb and join the cabl. Its not a town team its full of ego driven outsiders, thats why crowds suck and so do performances.

Reply #243588 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Would not be able to have a full time import in the CABL as it has a salary cap less than that. Plus they would need a womens team, which they don't have.

And who would pay for the Adelaide teams to go to the Mount, Not too many clubs would be able to afford it. Some haven't been able to attend the National finals, which is partly paid for by BA.

Reply #243589 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Anon, just to clear things up, Southern have showed that you CAN have a full time import in the SBL, so it can be done.

Reply #243595 | Report this post

tripod  
Years ago

wow if we cant afford to get to the mount how much will it cost to get to darwin. Reported in the paper up there that they are discussing joining the cabl

Reply #243726 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

At least once all of this is over the team should finally be able to move forward.

Last two years the club as a whole has been held back by the coach, who thought it was all about him.

I'm glad to see a couple of messages from people who have seen the team on the road.

I saw two games last season and one this season and they are a basket case when away from the Mt and most of that (if not all) is down to the coaching.

Another year or two of this and the club was gone.

And don't worry about what you might be hearing, he was asked to resign before he was pushed!

Reply #243765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tariq shot the lights out last week, and was also very good against Geelong recently.

To say that he has an ego problem is absolute crap.

Reply #243774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does shooting the lights out have to do with an ego problem?

He's not good for the team, sure shoots a good clip but his attitude stinks - team performance is not a consideration.

In the right environment with correct coaching Tariq could be effective. However the team lacks a point guard - the position he was recruited for. He aint no PG.

Both De Wit and Naqqash should have been ousted in March.

Reply #243782 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

Tariq came over as the PG answer - but how many useful PGs have more turnovers than assists?

Why do the players not want him??? He may be able to shoot and has had some good games, but his decision making is horrible and he can't/wont pass the ball!

Why did none of the Melbourne sides sign him? Ask Kilsyth or Frankston players what they think of him...your answer will be found there.

Reply #243798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What does shooting the lights out have to do with an ego problem?"

Sorry, they were two seperate points I was trying to make. The first point was that he is a much better player than George is giving him credit for, and the second unrelated point is that Tariq does not have an inflated ego.

George, if Tariq was the "PG answer", why would the club sign an import PG?

Reply #243867 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

they didnt sign an import point/ Benjamin was never a point guard!

Reply #243871 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

Anonymous - have you seen the Pioneers play?? If you have, then you wouldn't say Benjamin is a point guard.

Benjamin was brought to the team to be the backcourt scorer - not the offensive facilitator - and this is something he did well until he fell out with Ray, who has given him no guidance or support.

Tariq was meant to be the PG - he hasn't done the job and needs to be let go

Reply #243987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see the pioneers had another loss ,this time against frankston!! who played well? did anyone doenough to keep their spots for next year? Also how did Shannon go? Any possible coaches at the game tonight?

Reply #244570 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

The players tried to do enough, but when you're not being coached or taught anything, how can you improve?

All the players have gone backwards during the tenure of de Wit, but that is not all.

Crowd numbers have been way down - no one is interested while he was there.

It is tipped the new coach will come from out of town and could bring a couple of players with him.

The club needs to get rid of Tariq and look for a REAL point guard. Other than that other players should be retianed

Reply #245608 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Who are the front runners Gheorge, anything reported in the Borderwatch as to who has applied?
Where does the club stand with Allan Scott's passing, are they still going to stay on as a sponsor?

Reply #245616 | Report this post

Sweeper63  
Years ago

Word on the street is that Scotts sponsorship is finished as is another 12 sponsors.
Money is just too tight to waste it on a sport that noone is going to watch.

As for Tariq his attitude does suck, he doesn't play local games but sits in the stands and bags the refs and junior players constantly, not a good look.

There have been formal complaints and nothing was done at all.

The minutes for Russell and Mason this year were ridiculous and only increased when Jake left town.
As for the imports, Benjamin is a star in the making if only we had a coach who could set a play for him. Smith was ok but defends noone...ever!

Tariq well if he ever went inside the 3 line you might be able to assess his skills. In training he gets sliced and diced by the juniors,expensive training bait for mine.

There is only one person with the credibility and skills to bring this team together and after what has happened in the last 12 months thee is no way she would take the job nor would it be offered.

As for the former player living in Adelaide, not a contender according to the board but we have seen that former players don't automatically make good coaches

Reply #245832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who are you talking about sweeper?

Reply #245848 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Well I guess if money is tight and Scott's is going to pull out you would think that the other companies he owns (probably at least 12) that sponsor the Pioneers would pull out as well. Very disappointing to hear though, the club are going through a tough period and this is when they need all the local support they can get. They will get back on track, it's only a matter of time.

Reply #245866 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

I haven't been on this for a while, so good to see the interest is still there.

Panther the club has been quiet on who has applied to coach, but there seems to be some real excitement building towards a former assistant coach who has the credentials to be given a go.

But he was ignored two years ago, so you never know what will happen down there.

I do know the club has looked outside of Mt G, but doesn't have any kind of money to offer.

As for Scotts, I've heard they're done with the Pioneers. As said by Sweeper, they're finished as major sponsor and many other sponsors tired of the antics and are not renewing for another season when there is so little interest in team now.

And I also see tariq is still in the 'news' here. He was a waste of space and money. If the club had done some research they would have found that there was a reason no Melbourne club - where he comes from - is ever going to touch him! Pionners were laughing stock when they signed him and said he would be one of the best players seen at the Icehouse.

Also doesn't help when one of the leading players tells club its either him or me next season!

Reply #248596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754